Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2020 Lesco & Lawn Thread

Damage In Tolland

14 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Yeah... I’m guessing it’s probably about an inch or inch an a half... that would probably translate to a 6-8 foot tree. 

The one I looked at today was maybe 2” or a little bigger... it was a decent looking tree... but $475 is a lot of money.

I went ahead and bought the tree, with the 1 year warranty, which was only  14 bucks, so if I get a dud, I’ll just send it back.

I also bought a Japanese maple, 2-3 feet tall for $30 bucks. It’s very small I’m sure but if I can get it to grow, it’s worth the gamble 

Keep me updated on how it looks when it arrives. Did you try looking at Blueview Nursery near you?

http://blueviewnurseries.com/Deciduous_trees_EM.html

I usually get the common tree species around here at nurseries, but I have checked out Fast Growing, Arbor Day, and Wilson/Stark Brothers as well. If I want something native that is hard to find I go through Go Native. Trees with a deep tap root I’ve been trying to grow directly from seed...like hickories, pawpaws, persimmons, and chestnuts. I try to get those seeds through Sheffields.itks kinda fun to stratify them on your own, watch them germinate, and then plant them in the spring. It eliminates all of the transplant shock and circling roots too.

6 hours ago, dendrite said:

Keep me updated on how it looks when it arrives. Did you try looking at Blueview Nursery near you?

I usually get the common tree species around here at nurseries, but I have checked out Fast Growing, Arbor Day, and Wilson/Stark Brothers as well. If I want something native that is hard to find I go through Go Native. Trees with a deep tap root I’ve been trying to grow directly from seed...like hickories, pawpaws, persimmons, and chestnuts. I try to get those seeds through Sheffields.itks kinda fun to stratify them on your own, watch them germinate, and then plant them in the spring. It eliminates all of the transplant shock and circling roots too.

That is actually where I got the price that was over $400 lol. That would have been very nice since they are literally 5 mins from me.

Anyway, I’ll keep you posted and take a few pics when they arrive. They are slated for the beginning of August, so I’m a little concerned about transplanting them in hot weather, but from what I’ve read, as long as I’m diligent with water, they should be fine 

6 hours ago, dendrite said:

I’ve gone there.  Don’t think I’ve ever bought anything from them though.  The trees I’ve planted I purchased at Briggs Nursery in North Attleboro.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

That is actually where I got the price that was over $400 lol. That would have been very nice since they are literally 5 mins from me.

Anyway, I’ll keep you posted and take a few pics when they arrive. They are slated for the beginning of August, so I’m a little concerned about transplanting them in hot weather, but from what I’ve read, as long as I’m diligent with water, they should be fine 

Watering will be critical.

9 hours ago, dendrite said:

He could try one of those tree watering bags or rings like the tree gator. I’ve never used one myself since we have plenty of soil moisture.

My office mate used one of those on the large plant/small tree he has in our office.  Seemed to work well for the month we though we would be out of the office.  Not sure how it's going 4 months in.

My battery weed whacker has a brush cutter add on if I needed it. If it works as well as my battery 18 inch chainsaw it would be no problem.  No need for me as we have left the forest to be forest. Massive grape leaves took the place of all the trees that fell. Actually looks beautiful. 

9 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Cannot stress this too much.  Even with proper root-pruning and good care, up to 90% of roots stay behind when a tree is lifted at the nursery.

Look a the 1st picture I posted above.  There are 2 Sunset Maples that I planted about 12 years ago now.  They were about 1-2" trunks (10' tall) when I planted them.  Just look at them now.  Ones has to be about 5-6" dia now and 20' tall.  Flourishing on there on now.  1st season is critical for success. Keep that root mass damp.

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

My battery weed whacker has a brush cutter add on if I needed it. If it works as well as my battery 18 inch chainsaw it would be no problem.  No need for me as we have left the forest to be forest. Massive grape leaves took the place of all the trees that fell. Actually looks beautiful. 

Screenshot_20200713-095132_Gallery.jpg

On 7/11/2020 at 9:45 PM, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Anybody have experience with a website know as fast growing trees? Reviews seem pretty solid and they seem to do quite a bit of business.

I went to a place today and the price of an October glory red maple was over 400 dollars... so I found a 7 foot tall one on this site for a little under $200.

Any ideas how big of a bucket that size tree will come in? Maybe @dendrite?

On 7/11/2020 at 10:19 PM, dendrite said:

I've been on their site before, but never purchased from there. Some of the few 1 star reviews scare me about skinny, sickly looking trees. That's a lot of money plus shipping to risk getting a stick. The local place up here in Concord prices their maples according to caliper...

ALL MAPLES Unless Otherwise Priced:

1-1½” .................................................$ 160.00

1½-2” .................................................$ 220.00

2-2½” .................................................$ 300.00

2½-3” .................................................$ 390.00

3-3½” .................................................$ 480.00

3½-4” .................................................$ 650.00

4-4½” .................................................$ 775.00

4½-5” .................................................$ 975.00

I bought a 6-7' Autumn Blaze Red Maple from them last May, Dendrite, you may have actually mentioned this site to me here.  Anyway, I would buy from them again in a heartbeat.  The tree I got was nice and full.  I got solid new growth on it last season and its nice and full this year.

20 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

I bought a 6-7' Autumn Blaze Red Maple from them last May, Dendrite, you may have actually mentioned this site to me here.  Anyway, I would buy from them again in a heartbeat.  The tree I got was nice and full.  I got solid new growth on it last season and its nice and full this year.

Nice. I got an autumn blaze from Lowes a few years ago on clearance. It was actually pruned aesthetically really well. The trunk has a slight hook that I've been trying to work out by tying the tree back to my chicken run, but other than that it's a great looking tree.

Any luck with the seeds?

I have about 10 germinating. I'll have to find or take some pics.

I would use one with an attachment, but I have a lot of those invasive buckthorn trees and some of them are 2-4" wide. I could probably rent one for the day and save a lot of money, but I like my own toys.

18 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I have about 10 germinating. I'll have to find or take some pics.

I would use one with an attachment, but I have a lot of those invasive buckthorn trees and some of them are 2-4" wide. I could probably rent one for the day and save a lot of money, but I like my own toys.

Toys are the bomb. When we lived on the farm for 5 years I had every toy possible.  I miss the tractor. Some day I am going to rent a mini Kabota to rebuild the front road facing farmers stone wall. 

1 hour ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Look a the 1st picture I posted above.  There are 2 Sunset Maples that I planted about 12 years ago now.  They were about 1-2" trunks (10' tall) when I planted them.  Just look at them now.  Ones has to be about 5-6" dia now and 20' tall.  Flourishing on there on now.  1st season is critical for success. Keep that root mass damp.

Absolutely.  Or one can stumble into success.  A few weeks after moving to our present location in mid-May 1998, I moved a slightly damaged (by our dog) balsam fir from our shady side yard to the sunny front.  It was then a misshapen 2' tall, and now is a near-perfect cone about 35' tall with branches spreading over 15' at the base.  It's about 12" at 4.5' off the ground - "about" because I don't care to fight my way into the center of those branches and then goo up my diameter tape with fir pitch.  Getting 12" RA in the month following the transplant surely helped, as I don't think I watered it at all.  (And it's grown to the point that I would consider donating it for some municipal Christmas tree if the town would do the cut and haul.)

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Nice. I got an autumn blaze from Lowes a few years ago on clearance. It was actually pruned aesthetically really well. The trunk has a slight hook that I've been trying to work out by tying the tree back to my chicken run, but other than that it's a great looking tree.

I have a white birch that's about 10 years old and for several years the leaves would turn yellow by late June and they would drop in August.  After trying various things over the years thinking it was something on the leaves this season after taking a closer look at the soil I figured out it appears to have been an iron deficiency.  The tree has responded very well to iron treatments and with that has come some decent growth. Then last week I had a birch bending downpour, the top third of the tree was leaning pretty good.  I tied it up to straighten it as much as I could for a few days, with success.  Then had another downpour Saturday and the top quarter of the tree is leaning the other way, LOL.      

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

Great to hear... any pics of it by chance?

I got the same size you got, so I’m curious what there shipping method is and how it will get to me. It’s encouraging to hear you had a good experience though. I’m optimistic.