Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2020 Lesco & Lawn Thread

Damage In Tolland

1 hour ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Anybody ever use Cedar Oil as insect /bug repellent on the yard? Thinking about doing a blanket spray around the yard, but wasnt sure if it wouldn't actually do anything and I have alot of area to spray.

Tried it one year, not much luck. 

• Thanks 1

Snagged a brand new Electric lawn mower from someone who had to relocate,  used twice at the end of last year. All components 50 bucks, I love it, perfect for me, lightweight. 1 hour between charges, gonna pick up a spare battery,  it has a compartment for an extra battery. 

5 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Snagged a brand new Electric lawn mower from someone who had to relocate,  used twice at the end of last year. All components 50 bucks, I love it, perfect for me, lightweight. 1 hour between charges, gonna pick up a spare battery,  it has a compartment for an extra battery. 

Nice.  I've thought about going that way.  Takes about an hour and a half to mow my lawn but was never sure about how long the battery lasts.

3 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Nice.  I've thought about going that way.  Takes about an hour and a half to mow my lawn but was never sure about how long the battery lasts.

I weed whacked with my electric 40v Kobalt while it charged. Me with all my limitations takes me 2 hours to do both lawns. Plant garden has natural grass instead of mulch so that takes a long time to weed whack. I now have all electric battery tools including a 18 inch chainsaw, awesome as I hate gas with all the ethanol problems. 

19 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I weed whacked with my electric 40v Kobalt while it charged. Me with all my limitations takes me 2 hours to do both lawns. Plant garden has natural grass instead of mulch so that takes a long time to weed whack. I now have all electric battery tools including a 18 inch chainsaw, awesome as I hate gas with all the ethanol problems. 

I have all Ryobi battery tools including a 10" chainsaw that works pretty well.  I'm lucky that the closest gas station to me has non-ethanol premium and that's what I put in the lawnmower.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

6 hours ago, mreaves said:

I have all Ryobi battery tools including a 10" chainsaw that works pretty well.  I'm lucky that the closest gas station to me has non-ethanol premium and that's what I put in the lawnmower.

I have the Black and Decker 40v weed whacker, blower and 12” chainsaw, love them, so easy to use and maintain. The blower is ok, good for the grass clippings after mowing and leaves on the walk but you’re not going to get far with heavy leaves in the yard come fall but that’s ok, I have another blower for that when needed.  

51 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Anyone have any good suggestions to get rid of Chipmunks?  (besides a BB gun or a trap)

Encourage red squirrels?

I swear, as soon as I made it impossible for the squirrels to get my bird seed they all left and the chippies moved in.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Encourage red squirrels?

I swear, as soon as I made it impossible for the squirrels to get my bird seed they all left and the chippies moved in.

Ha! I don't have any bird feeders. Just a lot of chipmunks who like to burrow around foundation.  Probably going to have to put down 3/4" crushed granite or something.

On 6/25/2020 at 9:23 AM, mreaves said:

Battery operated is the way to go. The only thing  I have left is to get the Ryobi ride on mower and I’m gas free with my tools. Eventually, it’s on to cars. 

9 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

We'll see if nearly 4" rn will do anything to "green up" the nasty back yard

capture2.jpg

I know this is a broken record at this point,  but what the hell is going on there? Looks like a plowed field ready for some crop planting. At this point maybe just hope weeds grow and fill in the all the bare spots?

I know this is a broken record at this point,  but what the hell is going on there? Looks like a plowed field ready for some crop planting. At this point maybe just hope weeds grow and fill in the all the bare spots?
Big waste of money is what it is. Poor topsoil and no irrigation. Weeds took over late last summer and think we had some grub damag

16 hours ago, Lava Rock said:
18 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Big waste of money is what it is. Poor topsoil and no irrigation. Weeds took over late last summer and think we had some grub damag

Parts of my front look like yours. I dumped a ton of dwarf white clover all over the area before the recent rains. I’m hoping it’ll take off and improve the soil over time. If it takes off I may add more clover and grass seed before the winter pack settles in. 

On 7/5/2020 at 8:21 PM, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Home Depot was 50% off trees this weekend. Picked up a flowering cherry for 50 bucks and 2 good sized dwarf Alberta sources that are about 5 feet tall for 60 bucks a piece.

Save the receipts, had a flowering cherry bought for my mom at mother’s day that didn’t make it, of course it’s a year later before you know for sure. Difficult to bring a dead tree back.

Anybody have experience with a website know as fast growing trees? Reviews seem pretty solid and they seem to do quite a bit of business.

I went to a place today and the price of an October glory red maple was over 400 dollars... so I found a 7 foot tall one on this site for a little under $200.

Any ideas how big of a bucket that size tree will come in? Maybe @dendrite?

13 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Anybody have experience with a website know as fast growing trees? Reviews seem pretty solid and they seem to do quite a bit of business.

I went to a place today and the price of an October glory red maple was over 400 dollars... so I found a 7 foot tall one on this site for a little under $200.

Any ideas how big of a bucket that size tree will come in? Maybe @dendrite?

I've been on their site before, but never purchased from there. Some of the few 1 star reviews scare me about skinny, sickly looking trees. That's a lot of money plus shipping to risk getting a stick. The local place up here in Concord prices their maples according to caliper...

ALL MAPLES Unless Otherwise Priced:

1-1½” .................................................$ 160.00

1½-2” .................................................$ 220.00

2-2½” .................................................$ 300.00

2½-3” .................................................$ 390.00

3-3½” .................................................$ 480.00

3½-4” .................................................$ 650.00

4-4½” .................................................$ 775.00

4½-5” .................................................$ 975.00

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I've been on their site before, but never purchased from there. Some of the few 1 star reviews scare me about skinny, sickly looking trees. That's a lot of money plus shipping to risk getting a stick. The local place up here in Concord prices their maples according to caliper...

ALL MAPLES Unless Otherwise Priced:

1-1½” .................................................$ 160.00

1½-2” .................................................$ 220.00

2-2½” .................................................$ 300.00

2½-3” .................................................$ 390.00

3-3½” .................................................$ 480.00

3½-4” .................................................$ 650.00

4-4½” .................................................$ 775.00

4½-5” .................................................$ 975.00

Yeah... I’m guessing it’s probably about an inch or inch an a half... that would probably translate to a 6-8 foot tree. 

The one I looked at today was maybe 2” or a little bigger... it was a decent looking tree... but $475 is a lot of money.

I went ahead and bought the tree, with the 1 year warranty, which was only  14 bucks, so if I get a dud, I’ll just send it back.

I also bought a Japanese maple, 2-3 feet tall for $30 bucks. It’s very small I’m sure but if I can get it to grow, it’s worth the gamble 

On 6/25/2020 at 8:59 AM, Ginx snewx said:

Switched the Weed Whacker, Hedge Trimmer, Leaf Blower and Tree Trimmer all to 40v Greenworks.