Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2020 Lesco & Lawn Thread

Damage In Tolland

7 hours ago, PowderBeard said:

lol, only because June typically brings some heat. Hell you could spoon feed urea the next few weeks if you wanted to. 

You can see the darker patches in the lawn... I think I went a little light on the Milorganite. I have a quarter acre lot and only used one bag... I probably should have used 2 maybe even 3 

7 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

You can see the darker patches in the lawn... I think I went a little light on the Milorganite. I have a quarter acre lot and only used one bag... I probably should have used 2 maybe even 3 

Yea that is a lot to maintain. When did you throw it down?  First time using milo on my own lawn so I'm curious how long the iron brings out the chlorophyll and keeps the dark green, most iron sprays only work for a week or so. 

Work has begun to transform this failed lawn area with more natural landscaping with shrubs and such.
Before and during. Will post when she's done.

capture1.thumb.jpg.9789bf068d103baacf4f7fefd109a2c3.jpg
capture1.thumb.jpg.bf3f2b6c31fb5cb795f77f6b140f3388.jpg
Here's the final product. About 25 different shrubs, perennials and other bushes. Many are small now, but will get much larger. After many failed attempts of getting grass to grow in this spot, we thought this would look nice. Now we have to bring in more topsoil in the Fall and reseed the surrounding area around the mulch bed with grass seed. I'm confident that with good topsoil we can get grass to grow consistently well. I will say we need some rain quite desperately as the soil is bone dry. 9cc4aea0d6c2d177e86d55f8c55768cd.jpg
  • Like 6

50 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Here's the final product. About 25 different shrubs, perennials and other bushes. Many are small now, but will get much larger. After many failed attempts of getting grass to grow in this spot, we thought this would look nice. Now we have to bring in more topsoil in the Fall and reseed the surrounding area around the mulch bed with grass seed. I'm confident that with good topsoil we can get grass to grow consistently well. I will say we need some rain quite desperately as the soil is bone dry. 9cc4aea0d6c2d177e86d55f8c55768cd.jpg

Nice.  Better than grass anyway

Really amazed with tall fescue's ability to withstand a lack of water (it also got hit with two rounds of Triclopyr to take out clover and chick-weed with no stress). Between rain and the sprinkler it has about 1.5" in the past 5 weeks. I have also been mowing 3.5-4" to help it keep what moisture is in the soil there. 

101688846_2726217764278193_6043987539652555957_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_ohc=F1uAN71WBeIAX-6LZHH&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=ecd96e924963a80bef27af1a880ea7d9&oe=5F021FC4

• Like 4

On 6/10/2020 at 8:43 PM, Baroclinic Zone said:

Reached out to a contractor to help with pieces of my lawn/landscape that I want nothing to do with.

Says he coming tomorrow AM to go over my list of things I’d like addressed.  First and foremost is getting my entire lawn/gardens edged and mulched. 

As a side bar, my lawn is the best it’s looked in a couple years.  Still a bit of weeds in it and there is a good amount of thatch that’s led to thinned out areas.  These are things I’d like addressed as well with contractor.  I don’t have the time to put any meaningful time in doing yard work beyond cutting the lawn.

On 6/12/2020 at 8:49 AM, Baroclinic Zone said:

Initial thought was Sassafras, but tips of leaves look too pointed.

I'm still struggling with this one. The stalk looks like pokeweed, but not the leaves. I keep bouncing around giant ragweed, mugwort, and hog weed, but nothing quite matches it.

edit...think I'm leaning giant ragweed.

On 4/25/2020 at 10:31 PM, dendrite said:

Anyone hot an ID on this weed? My chickens eat it like it’s crack. It looks like a clover, but it appears to be something else. The stems from the previous season are fairly hard/woody. The leaves almost have a fleshy feel about them...somewhere between a clover feel and a sedum feel.

BF6528BB-1B4F-43D9-B332-29E83FDEDABB.jpeg

070A93FB-B1EB-48C2-864E-3A00A56CE05F.jpeg

1AF7056A-799A-4759-B987-1A18052B9657.jpeg

6CE9A5A5-C3FB-4CAB-9924-0FB447F8320D.jpeg

61C77C3F-3589-4565-93DE-47E615C1F46A.jpeg

ID'd this as yellow sweet clover today.

Anyone know how well white clover will grow in very sandy soil? I was thinking of overseeding parts of the front with it to fix some nitrogen in the soil. We've had some areas of topsoil almost completely erode out there, but I'm not doing a big fix. I figure the clover will double as a forage for the chickens.

6 hours ago, dendrite said:

Anyone know how well white clover will grow in very sandy soil? I was thinking of overseeding parts of the front with it to fix some nitrogen in the soil. We've had some areas of topsoil almost completely erode out there, but I'm not doing a big fix. I figure the clover will double as a forage for the chickens.

I'm just about done with trying clover. I truly don't know what it is up with it and I've done almost double the seeding.

May 14 - Pretty sandy soil, 2 lbs of seeds, 0 clover. I truly mean not a single one.

May 28 - Bring in 2 yards of loam, 2 pounds of seeds, this...

83129523_763701227737570_1203508351702843097_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_ohc=iY5gwrXF_x0AX93TSxK&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=515ece8ddc642c6c9cbef1b13c457a37&oe=5F0EDBD3

Meanwhile...I can't get my lines straight.

104290737_604264523806515_4411268350600943816_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_ohc=ktakqQ0AvzoAX8s6cIx&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=5f5234a6987e1eb0616571f547a71e0c&oe=5F0DF825

• Like 2

On 4/12/2020 at 11:41 AM, Baroclinic Zone said:

Ok folks, I got a tree out back that makes these “flowers”, early Spring, every year.  Flower is about 1” long.  What is the tree?  It’s currently about 15’ tall and has grown from a seed that must have blown there.

image.thumb.jpg.21f70fc55690da70083d5dc701957bc6.jpg

Determined what this was. It’s the bloom of a Scouler Willow. Interesting that it took root where it did.  

Lawn question.....  if your lawn turns completely brown from drought will it come back?  I don't mean kinda burnt out but totally brown.  I am loosing the battle even with watering and the well can't produce enough water so parts are now completely dead.   I guess the answer is yes because that is what it does in the winter.   We always get periods of dryness and had that drought several years ago but this year the drought has started earlier.  Thoughts?

3 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Lawn question.....  if your lawn turns completely brown from drought will it come back?  I don't mean kinda burnt out but totally brown.  I am loosing the battle even with watering and the well can't produce enough water so parts are now completely dead.   I guess the answer is yes because that is what it does in the winter.   We always get periods of dryness and had that drought several years ago but this year the drought has started earlier.  Thoughts?

Depends on the type of grass you have. Kentucky blue grass will just go dormant and then bounce back with rain and somewhat cooler temps. With fescue and perennial rye grass you could actually lose some if it stays dry long enough and hot enough.  I dont know what you type you have, but I think most will bounce back. Now, if somehow July is a roaster and dry, then obviously higher likelihood  of some grass not coming back. But I mean you would need almost no rain for another 3-4 weeks I think to lose amounts you would notice.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, amarshall said:

A landscaper gave me a full pallet of sod yesterday. It was on its way out. Hadn't had water in 2 days. I've been crushing it with water today. Do you think a splash of nitrogen would stress it more? aa61e4c4f545ccb21615f6ec626c9750.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Yes, I do. Just keep watering, but not over water it. It's already stressed, adding N will only stress it more IMO.

• Like 2

I have a lot of sapsucker damage on my larger fruit trees and willow. The willow has some yellowing leaves and the crabapple is suffering crown dieback. Any tips on how to deter them with responsible methods? Does the cd hanging from a branch trick really work? I’ve never noticed them on the suet (just the cother common peckers), but should I take the suet down? I know Gene has some kind of product on one of his trees that seals the wounds of the tree. It didn’t appear to be sticky either like the products I see listed on Amazon. I really don’t want to put something on the trees that will stick to their feet. There’s so much of the trees affected that wrapping them in hardware cloth or burlap isnkt feasible either.

Any recommendations?

3 hours ago, amarshall said:

A landscaper gave me a full pallet of sod yesterday. It was on its way out. Hadn't had water in 2 days. I've been crushing it with water today. Do you think a splash of nitrogen would stress it more? aa61e4c4f545ccb21615f6ec626c9750.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Should be fine if you just keep it hydrated, drop  some fert in early September 

7 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

If it’s well established should come back no problem

• Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 8:23 PM, Baroclinic Zone said:

Says he coming tomorrow AM to go over my list of things I’d like addressed.  First and foremost is getting my entire lawn/gardens edged and mulched. 

As a side bar, my lawn is the best it’s looked in a couple years.  Still a bit of weeds in it and there is a good amount of thatch that’s led to thinned out areas.  These are things I’d like addressed as well with contractor.  I don’t have the time to put any meaningful time in doing yard work beyond cutting the lawn.

Gonna pull the trigger on doing the front yard this season.  Edging/mulching, pulling up a few shrubs.  Glad I have nothing to do with this amount of work.