• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mid-week potential of something somewhere

Chicago Storm

Not quite seeing the agreement I want to in regards to 6"+ totals locally. The horrors of model performance this go-round need not be stated, so still waiting eagerly for another set of runs before we cautiously get on board the ship. If I were to lock in as-is, I'd say 3-5" imby seems like a decent call. However, still a ton of subtle differences this far inside of 24 hours for me to feel good about anything...

3 hours ago, mimillman said:

Insane the last time Chicago saw a 10” storm was 4.5 years ago, and likely will end up being 5+ years. This has been a horrendous stretch.

The long term average for 10"+ storms in Chicago is closer to one every three years, so yeah, running behind.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Temps are generally 33-34 where the better snow is right now.  Honestly I am expecting very little to stick through the afternoon hours and will be pleasantly surprised otherwise. 

We had about an hour of flakes mixed in around 8am and it’s been nothing but drizzle since

1 hour ago, snowstormcanuck said:

12z 3km NAM has a foot at YYZ, 8 or 9 inches from the synoptic and then the rest from a gnarly lk huron band afterwards with impressive inland penetration.

Sounds like fun.

The 3km NAM is a dream.

I think 6-8" seems like a reasonable call but my cautious side thinks 6" seems feasible. I would love some bonus lake effect though.

It's been dumping snow all morning here but like recent snows, most of it is melting after it hits and there is a little under an inch on the ground. Roads are slick in many places though and I saw a handful of wrecks on i74 a half hour ago.

Nice big flakes and sticking to the trees so I'm definitely not complaining. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, frostfern said:

Any other Grand Rapids are folks here?  Looks like Lucy pulled the football away yet again.  This winter has been so disappointing.  It seems like it's just IMBY bad luck for GR in particular as other areas have been hit.  At this point I'm ready for spring.

Yes my daughter is a senior in HS here in the GR area, and is very disturbed by the lack of snow days (none this year for our school district). It seems like October was the best month for winter weather. That said we took a ski trip to Boyne Highlands last week and got 6" of pow on Tuesday, which helped alleviate the pain..

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WestMichigan said:

I'd settle for 2-4" right now.  Haven't even had any decent LES over this way either.

Yea.  Missing out on big jet-phased synoptic snow events happens every year, but being in West Michigan most years you at least get the consolation prize of a decent cold stretch with a clipper train and lake enhancement to build up the snowpack.  We missed out on that part of winter almost completely this year.  Cold snaps have been unusually dry and short lived.

• Sad 1