Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid-week potential of something somewhere

Chicago Storm

24 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

@RCNYILWX could go into it further if he wants, but yea kind of.

Ugh, yeah what a headache for them when they have to play  the hands they're dealt.

GFS was such a detriment to this storm...NAM playing footsie with a late night hookup from canada gets denied.  Euro is still steady eddie but can call in sick when you need its services the most. To be fair to the models this was a pretty delicate high potential impact storm that just found every way possible to not come together in time.

It now looks quite possible that this area, and the QC won't receive a single flake out of this.  What an amazing collapse.  The 06z 3km NAM showed a stripe of 12-15" for the area.  That's 14hrs ago when that model came out lol.  Wow.

EDIT:  From the COD kuchera method, 06z had 15.7" for MLI.  The new 18z has 0.1"

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, snowcaine said:

18Z GFS does some wild stuff, I'm a bit skeptical of such an amplified solution. I'd feel more confident riding the 12Z ECMWF with a 5-6" call for most of Toronto. Wouldn't be surprised to see some precip issues with this one.

i can dig it.  Seeing where we were, i doubt anyone will be complaining. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Yeah I agree, honestly I just wanted one more 4"+ before the season wraps up. I'm more interested in the wind and blowing snow potential with this one than the snowfall amounts. I think we will need to get really lucky to be in the sweet spot for big amounts like that without precip issues affecting amounts. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ottawa and Montreal get hit harder.

17 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

I fully lied earlier. I said I didnt want a 2-4" sloppy mess but I mean if its coming I might as well get a bit excited. The Nam and GFS were hilarious to look at, spitting out 30-50cm GTA-Hamilton wide. 

Heading up to Haliburton this weekend so hoping the squalls arent that bad along the 400. Though all indications are they could be. 

Yes I was expecting rain days ago. Yes I'm in a watch now. But I'm hardcore skeptical. Lol. Esp with models still shifting around. Going with the good ol' wait and see what happens. My current forecast is 0-6in. Lol. Would be nice to actually have a snowstorm without a trash antecedent air mass. Lol. But hey this is good for winter 2019-2020. I think our biggest snow this yr here was like 4.5in. So potential to break that if everything pans out. We shall see. Curious if 0z runs continue the downfall or maybe trend back somewhat 

5 hours ago, UMB WX said:

6-8" on Euro is still a Big Dog storm for,  SE, MI standards.

Actually this will be the third snow storm of 6 inches or more. This is actually very routine for the northern suburbs of Detroit, extremely routine. The statement couldn’t be further from the truth. Just a really poor attempt at a joke. Now a big dog for this area is definitely 10-18  inches but we never touch 18 inches but we usually cap off at about 17 at the highest

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, dmc76 said:

Actually this will be the third snow storm of 6 inches or more. This is actually very routine for the northern suburbs of Detroit extremely routine the statement couldn’t be further from the truth. Just a really poor attempt at a joke. Now a big dog for this area is definitely 10-18  inches but we never touch 18 inches but we usually cap off at about 17 at the highest

10 to 18? lol.  More like  a 8-12" forecast considering how shitty of a climo Detroit south is for big storms.

ded.png

Just now, UMB WX said:

10 to 18? lol.  More like 8-12 considering how shitty of a climo Detroit south is for big storms.

ded.png

You were only talking about Detroit? No you were not. You were talking about Southeast Michigan as a whole it’s a little bit bigger than Detroit. Have you looked at the map of Southeast Michigan lately

1 minute ago, UMB WX said:

Uh yeah.

For many decades the records were taken at city airport which is arguably one of the worst spots for snowfall in the entire state of Michigan. Now if you head west by 20 miles or north by 20 miles snowfall probably almost increases by 15 to 20 inches per season.

• Weenie 1