Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid-week potential of something somewhere

Chicago Storm

6 minutes ago, Malacka11 said:

Genuine question, can someone please explain why the Kuchera method outputs more snow on the Euro, but less on most other models (for this storm)?

Assuming that differences in qpf amounts aren't driving the differences in snow map output, it may be because of a colder max temp aloft which is the basis of the Kuchera formula.  But to confuse things more, there is more than one way of calculating with the Kuchera method.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, hlcater said:

Congrats to Chicago for the 300th time in the past decade. You really deserve this one.

Meanwhile it’s been a casual 12 years since our last 12” snow, but that’s a meaningless statistic.

Climo does explain the discrepancy to some extent.  Chicago has better big storm climo because of the frequent lake enhanced contribution in those instances.  A storm that produces a general 8-10" inland may give 14" to Chicago, or when there is a general band of 12-18" then it may be over 20" in Chicago.  Just how it is.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Climo does explain the discrepancy to some extent.  Chicago has better big storm climo because of the frequent lake enhanced contribution in those instances.  A storm that produces a general 8-10" inland may give 14" to Chicago, or when there is a general band of 12-18" then it may be over 20" in Chicago.  Just how it is.

Does seem pretty strange how Cedar Rapids seems to always fail at getting a footer considering they line up with Dubuque/Madison for cutters.  Just must be terrible luck I guess.

Madison seems to get their Big ones when I taint in far SE wisconsin.  My Big storms I dont think Madison fares nearly as well most of the time.  Madison seems to be a good location for deformation snow setting up and double dipping.  Maybe that's harder to come by back by cedar rapids

12 yrs ago was in some of our prime years back this side of the lake.   Its been tougher finding Big Dog/Warning opportunities for all of us up here since that run.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MIstorm97 said:

EPS trended a little better for the Chicago area

34B86D3C-EFEA-4C1D-8A1E-567282BC9D6D.png

Euro had sorta that look a few times earlier and then went for a few drinks with GFS and NAM  but it's sobering up.  I didn't feel this was a good candidate for a substantial SE trend  but now I think those up here and north shouldn't be surprised if the EPS slip away the other direction some, It doesn't take much in this storm to miss out on most of both waves.   Lots of game to play yet in this one.

Gonna be sad when the euro does its usual shave off 10% of qpf each run routine starting at 12z. Still liking my call imby and somewhat discounting big dog amount 1'+ this far south, liking far nw burbs / s wisc to jackpot around 10.

Hopefully the snowy solutions gain some consensus soon, hard to trust the euro lately 

EDIT: catching up on 6z guidance, NEST was hotness and GEFS appear to have taken a big step towards big hit based on freebies. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hoosier said:

best climo

good morning...another day of model watching ftw....whatta hobby! 

words for the day per LOT:THE BASIC MESSAGE HOWEVER IS THAT THE POTENTIAL   
EXISTS FOR A SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL OF INCHES IS POSSIBLE ACROSS   
ESPECIALLY NORTHERN PARTS OF THE FORECAST AREA MID-WEEK.  

2 hours ago, A-L-E-K said:

Gonna be sad when the euro does its usual shave off 10% of qpf each run routine starting at 12z. Still liking my call imby and somewhat discounting big dog amount 1'+ this far south, liking far nw burbs / s wisc to jackpot around 10.

Hopefully the snowy solutions gain some consensus soon, hard to trust the euro lately 

EDIT: catching up on 6z guidance, NEST was hotness and GEFS appear to have taken a big step towards big hit based on freebies. 

Tue night into Wed accum snow event. More than enough model run time to tame this thing.

• Weenie 1

19 minutes ago, A-L-E-K said:

still a little room on the hype train if you want on

Will board the train 12Z Tues. when WSWs are in place. We still have 36hrs to watch mesoscale models contradict globals and for people who thought they were out of it to gain temporary hope.