Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb 20-21 OBS ( all bets off)

strongwxnc

Just now, Lookout said:

I've seen some weird stuff happen up there when you would think it would be a slam dunk. I'm assuming it's because of the low level warmth sort of being blocked from being scoured out even with a ne flow because of the mountains and the cooling is purely precip driven.  Indeed you can see the stubborn low level warmth on the 925 to 975mb levels..which are actually colder to the south and east as the day goes on.

A lot just plain heavy rain here currently. I would expect i might get some to mix in by 4pm as the low levels cool even more with ne flow with an ok chance of a full turnover by 0z before ending...unless that band in sc is able to hold on longer and/or this band of heavy precip cools that mid level warm nose a little faster than expected. Don't expect any accumulation since it won't last long even if it does happen but i  hope i at least see a little fall. 

Yep and I'm sitting right around the 925 level so my wind occasionally flips south and I get a burst of warm wind. It did drop quite a bit at my last update though so it's getting there. 

13 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

Fluffy flakes starting to mix in with the white rain in Clemson. Temp is 38. Expecting a transition to heavy snow within the next 30 minutes.

Coming back from Glassy I noticed the all snow line was about 1500ft. Here back at my house at about 1000 ft it's mostly rain with a few sloppy flakes. Just very marginal temps for the upstate. Don't know how long it might take to drop another 500 feet but not looking too good.

30 minutes ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

FYI for upstate folks, all snow and 34 on top of Glassy Mtn ouside Pickens. Good moderate snow, no accumulation yet though.

I think elevation is about 1650.

It's got to be close in the upstate. this station near paris mountain is only 800 feet or so higher than greenville and it's 31.

Name:ETV Greenville
Valid:20 Feb 2:20 PM EST
Temp:31 °F0 °C
Dew Point:30 °F-1 °C
Relh:96 %
Wind Speed:16 mph14 kts
Wind Dir:ENE75°
Gust:22 mph19 kts
Wind Chill:20 °F
Altimeter:30.08 in

1 minute ago, Lookout said:

It's got to be close in the upstate. this station near paris mountain is only 800 feet or so higher than greenville and it's 31.

Name:ETV Greenville
Valid:20 Feb 2:20 PM EST
Temp:31 °F0 °C
Dew Point:30 °F-1 °C
Relh:96 %
Wind Speed:16 mph14 kts
Wind Dir:ENE75°
Gust:22 mph19 kts
Wind Chill:20 °F
Altimeter:30.08 in

Yeah very close. Just not going to work for most though. Back edge of precip already at Huntsville headed basically due east. Looks like western upstate will be done by 8pm or so and I don't see temps dropping another 3-4 degrees by then even if it switches over. This one just ain't ours.

11 minutes ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

Yeah very close. Just not going to work for most though. Back edge of precip already at Huntsville headed basically due east. Looks like western upstate will be done by 8pm or so and I don't see temps dropping another 3-4 degrees by then even if it switches over. This one just ain't ours.

Yeah it's hard to get a lot when you start off in the low to mid 40s and daytime too boot.  If it had  started at night, it probably would have been a different story. The lack of low dewpoints hurt too. I would imagine there aren't too many examples of big snows where temps start in the low to mid 40s with dewpoints only in the 30s upon arrival of precip in ga and sc. Still there should be some accumulations before it's over.   Getting any snow at all given how warm this winter has been should be considered a big victory. 

• Like 2