Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NAM vs the Euro cage match storm, Feb 20 - 21

Holston_River_Rambler

1 hour ago, John1122 said:

Snow quickly went away in the valley areas in Campbell but still around for another day above 1700 feet on the north/northwest facing areas. 

FB_IMG_1582390586764.jpg

Ours has hung around longer than I expected but as of now it's mostly gone except for the areas in the shade. Hopefully there's potential for everyone in the Wednesday system but we'll see. Weather channel says it's 48 here currently even though my gauge says 40 so I might need to go check and see if it fell in the snow lol.

EDIT: Yep...it had fallen down in the snow lol.

87081679_644025659686767_1045761529405767680_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_ohc=YwrEwKDPSAMAX9X_1mj&_nc_ht=scontent.fewr1-6.fna&_nc_tp=7&oh=63a73658427e38e138f2fb08634cb5b5&oe=5EC2E931

• Haha 1

Here is the only picture I have from that February 2004 event, and it's very poor quality. Anyway, this was after we had started up the "mountain" and then turned around after running into heavy snow. So within 20 minutes the ground went from nothing to this. And then 5-10 minutes down the road it was completely clear again and never snowed. I just remembered as we traveled south on Highway 27 we kept seeing cars coming in the northbound lanes caked with snow on their front ends, like they had just literally ran smack into it.

image.png.5a3689c965b8c2ac59a7dbb208d77f60.png

24 minutes ago, Shocker0 said:

Yeah that's insane. I knew Oneida didn't get anything because we traveled through there during the event to get to that Church, and then on the way back we went through again and there was nothing in Oneida, or at my house 10 miles north of Oneida. However, 5-10 miles south of Oneida there were several inches. It was definitely a spotty event and I'm still not sure how it happened that way.

If I were guessing those areas were in exactly the right path and the snow was dynamically driven. The highs in virtually every location that day was in the 40s, but the areas that got under the heavy snow were cooled just enough from the upper levels most likely.  

On a smaller scale than that a similar event happened in Campbell Co in December 2009. Very heavy rain for about five minutes that switched to silver dollar or larger flakes.  We got 8 inches of snow in 4 hours. Broke power lines and my power was off for 3 days.  Scott county to the west, Whitley to the north and Claiborne to the east went back and forth from rain to snow and ended up getting an inch of slush. Anderson to the south and points south ended with all rain. 

If you get under just the right part of a system it can really have freakish seeming results. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Shocker0 said:

Here is the only picture I have from that February 2004 event, and it's very poor quality. Anyway, this was after we had started up the "mountain" and then turned around after running into heavy snow. So within 20 minutes the ground went from nothing to this. And then 5-10 minutes down the road it was completely clear again and never snowed. I just remembered as we traveled south on Highway 27 we kept seeing cars coming in the northbound lanes caked with snow on their front ends, like they had just literally ran smack into it.

image.png.5a3689c965b8c2ac59a7dbb208d77f60.png

I've got a photo of my dog in the snow from the event.  It was the first year I had her. She died in November at 17.  She absolutely loved rolling and playing in snow. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, John1122 said:

If I were guessing those areas were in exactly the right path and the snow was dynamically driven. The highs in virtually every location that day was in the 40s, but the areas that got under the heavy snow were cooled just enough from the upper levels most likely.  

On a smaller scale than that a similar event happened in Campbell Co in December 2009. Very heavy rain for about five minutes that switched to silver dollar or larger flakes.  We got 8 inches of snow in 4 hours. Broke power lines and my power was off for 3 days.  Scott county to the west, Whitley to the north and Claiborne to the east went back and forth from rain to snow and ended up getting an inch of slush. Anderson to the south and points south ended with all rain. 

If you get under just the right part of a system it can really have freakish seeming results. 

I definitely remember the 2009 event. We were supposed to get a few inches of snow here in Crossville then as well, but it was going to be close on temperatures. Instead, it stayed about 34 degrees the entire day and rained, rained, and rained some more. Never switched over.

The 2009 event started around 9a.m. Dec. 18. as mainly rain but, some wet snow mixed in at Jonesville that continued lt to moderate until mid afternoon of which just over a half inch liquid was recorded in my gauge. At that time precip became heavy and transitioned to heavy, wet Snow.  5" recorded at my home (ele., 1422 ft.) by time ended that night. Electric went out and was off 40 hours. Higher elevations recorded all snow with 1 to 2 feet. Wise recorded 28 inches ! Reports of over 3 feet from Wise , Dickenson and Russel Counties.   Highknoblandform.com  has a great write-up with documented reports and pictures .

• Like 3

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic