• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NAM vs the Euro cage match storm, Feb 20 - 21

Holston_River_Rambler

We haven't had a lot of snowy days here this winter, BUT it seems like every time it has been cold enough to snow, it has. And every event has overperformed here it seems like. I consider it a pretty good winter with as much warm weather as we've had in between the occasional snowfall. Still light snow here, and hasn't melted as much as it looked like it was going to at first on the roadways. We have about 3 1/2" and I'm sure that's probably where we will top out.

20200220_1216259.thumb.jpg.7bae5bb41f23c703fb660431f3f9bf26.jpg

• Like 4

Yeah the JIT cold air is usually not in time. Kind of like moisture with severe. Anyway the HP was building in from the northwest. Better if it had been established north or northeast. That's playing havoc over in NC lower elevations too, trying to get that surface ridge to set up.

That's a wrap for me. Happy for those who got nice snow. Chattanooga is reflecting on Feb. 8, lol.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Kind of wish I had called this the "Revenge of the often crapped on models" storm. NAM whipped Euro, but then HRRR and RAP did a better job, in some ways with the mixing problems. 

Nah, you did really well with the naming.  Some rich possibilities for names in that Feb27-March3 window.  

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, TellicoWx said:

Congrats to everyone who got the snow to stick, was a hard one to watch here..pouring feathers for about 3hrs but never could stick.

I'm surprised you got blanked. We are actually turning white in Cleveland. I'd say we have around a half inch on the elevated surfaces here. Grass is white in most places now.

3 minutes ago, dwagner88 said:

I'm surprised you got blanked. We are actually turning white in Cleveland. I'd say we have around a half inch on the elevated surfaces here. Grass is white in most places now.

Setup usually doesnt go to well here, noticed last night when DP were hovering around 38-39 while everyone else went into the mid 20s something was up. Plus RGEM never bought in. We have switched back to rain mostly now.

• Sad 2

9 minutes ago, TellicoWx said:

Setup usually doesnt go to well here, noticed last night when DP were hovering around 38-39 while everyone else went into the mid 20s something was up. Plus RGEM never bought in. We have switched back to rain mostly now.

Same for your friends across the hill in Robbinsville, NC

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, TellicoWx said:

Congrats to everyone who got the snow to stick, was a hard one to watch here..pouring feathers for about 3hrs but never could stick.

I was watching Cookeville's weather camera today (just off the Plateau to the west of me 20 miles) and it looked like it was snowing like crazy all day like it was here but it just never stuck there. It may have just looked harder on camera, but it looked like it was coming down just as hard as it was here and nothing ever seemed to stick. Like someone else said, if it was at night time it probably would've verified for everyone

• Like 3

Snow appearing to be mostly wrapped up here.The models really pulled a head-fake at my latitude for this one. The temperatures were mostly cooperative staying at freezing but the moisture simply wasn't there (ironic) and the ground temps made the barrier of entry too high for the lighter stuff to stick. 7 hours of flurries/light snowfall accumulating to a negligible trace. Sun angle may have had a role in it as well. Still I can't say I was expecting more than an inch so tempered expectations won out. On a broader note, what a sorry excuse for "winter". This winter has thrown climo out of the window, this area is overdue but it's good to see some areas south of here get something.The weather pattern has been so hostile for reasons I don't have the energy to fully understand. (ocean temp anomalies and millions of other things in some complex web of cause and effect) And so winter malaise continues. :blink: (sorry for the mini rant) I do plan however to be more active in the following weeks. ;)

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Overall I’m pleased with how the short term mods handled this, especially the NAM. At my house I ended up with .42” of liquid and temps ranged from 32-35 depending on rates. The theme that continues is over performing qpf. It wasn’t by much but we did top out with a little more precip. If this was at night with the same temps, we would be looking at 3-4” on the grass. Hopefully the next two weeks someone in our area scores.

• Like 3

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic