Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
One More Shot: Feb 20-21 Event

Tar Heel Snow

9 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

CJ, our local met, just said the coastal is going to slow down the back edge of our precip s eastward progression, even said wraparound for our area!:maprain: what a :weenie:

Thats the idea, looks to maybe be a bit too far east to do too much beyond the enhancement in downeast NC. We will have to see once it develops though. Still some variability and chances for folks for the next 6 hours or so.

17 minutes ago, goldman75 said:

What is this possible pivot you guys are talking about?  Is it something similar to a hurricane wobble?  This pivot is suppose to help snow out east?  Thanks for any clarification :)

The coastal slp (surface low pressure) will add an eastern component to the air flow for areas north of the slp. That can cause the eastward progression of the precipitation field to slow down, halt, and even fill-in in some cases - resulting in an apparent pivot of the precip shield. This is forecast to be a relatively weak low and developing relatively far off shore, hence why I say it likely will not affect anyone west of say Raleigh imo. 

• Thanks 3

It appears this storm will bust low for just about everyone. Places modeled to get 3 to 6 inches in eastern NC are getting half of that at best. Places like Norfolk and VA Beach barely have anything due to Easterly winds off of the ocean. Areas just east of the Blue Ridge got a dusting to an inch and even Asheville and Hendersonville had an inch or less when almost all modeling had them at 2 to 4 inches.

I'm curious as to precip amounts for these areas when all is said and done. Obviously lack of heavy precip hurt many NC areas but toasty boundary level temperatures were equally troublesome. The storm also seemed to be a bit weaker and further south than progged. 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

It appears this storm will bust low for just about everyone. Places modeled to get 3 to 6 inches in eastern NC are getting half of that at best. Places like Norfolk and VA Beach barely have anything due to Easterly winds off of the ocean. Areas just east of the Blue Ridge got a dusting to an inch and even Asheville and Hendersonville had an inch or less when almost all modeling had them at 2 to 4 inches.

I'm curious as to precip amounts for these areas when all is said and done. Obviously lack of heavy precip hurt many NC areas but toasty boundary level temperatures were equally troublesome. The storm also seemed to be a bit weaker and further south than progged. 

It’s going to snow in eastern N.C. for another 6-8 hours. Lol.

• Like 1

Just now, StantonParkHoya said:

It’s going to snow in eastern N.C. for another 6-8 hours. Lol.

I have talked to different folks in the triad, New Bern and Greenville and they are all below expectations. It's too early for a post mortem but I think this storm deserves some studying 

6 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

what are you talking about? This storm is performing like it was predicted to. 2-4 inches around the triangle, 3-6 inches points northeast.  No one predicted a foot of snow anywhere in NC or VA. you can't hug models when they're spewing clown maps and choose to ignore experienced mets who predict reasonable totals. Thats on you.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1