Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
One More Shot: Feb 20-21 Event

Tar Heel Snow

Just now, GunBlade said:

Take the GFS qpf and the NAM warm nose and that’s your storm.  NAM has sniffed out more than enough warm noses in my area over the years for me to never underestimate it. I’ve also seen it ramp up QPF like crazy right up to the storm and then verify with half what was modeled. 

That was prior to it’s upgrade. NAM doesn’t overdue qpf like it use to. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

Great post by Robert (wxsouth) on Facebook. In other news the Canadian is still trying to come north but not quite with the GFS or NAM yet 

Looking at the soundings on the Canadian and literally everything looks good except the surface. It's as if somehow it's already saturated before the precip rolls in, therefore no evaporative cooling. It's a solid snow sounding in the mid/upper levels for most of the storm in N GA, except where the GFS is sitting between 32-35 the CMC is stuck on 40.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TARHEELPROGRAMMER88 said:

Guessing temps are an issue? Almost all of the models are now showing temp issues. It is great to have more QPF, but without enough cold it is just cold rain. Any chance all the models bust on temps?

I think I saw on Twitter that while the models are showing rain, the soundings look more like snow. I don't know how true that is though, would love to get some sounding analysis

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TARHEELPROGRAMMER88 said:

Guessing temps are an issue? Almost all of the models are now showing temp issues. It is great to have more QPF, but without enough cold it is just cold rain. Any chance all the models bust on temps?

Big difference between the temp issues on the NAM/GFS and the CMC/UKMET. NAM and GFS issue is mid level warm nose causing issues, most places with good precip are getting down into the 32-35 range which is fine for wet snow as long as it's cold above. CMC and UKMET really don't have a warm nose, they are just downright warm at the surface and they stay that way for the whole storm in a lot of places. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, SnowDawg said:

Big difference between the temp issues on the NAM/GFS and the CMC/UKMET. NAM and GFS issue is mid level warm nose causing issues, most places with good precip are getting down into the 32-35 range which is fine for wet snow as long as it's cold above. CMC and UKMET really don't have a warm nose, they are just downright warm at the surface and they stay that way for the whole storm in a lot of places. 

It's weird to see the GFS that cold at the surface when it is typically quite warm there

• Like 1

Just now, SnowDawg said:

I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing. It seems like the setup is slightly different on the models to a certain extent but temps are an issue regardless. It is the south, so that makes sense.