Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
One More Shot: Feb 20-21 Event

Tar Heel Snow

3 minutes ago, msuwx said:

3km snapshot vs 12km NAM snapshot at the heart of the event. Very similar, and I would not pay a ton of attention to the PType algorithms near the transition line. 

3km.png.af9afa9a8a13153f799c2b0fa965765e.png 

12km.png.cb4c5af9765a6e60e92702bb3acc75f0.png

Matt, for the life of me, I can’t figure out how people are complaining about this run if you’re almost anywhere north of 74 in NC. What do they want?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As of now I think a 1-2 inch event would be about the best the Triangle would pull from this. Drier air with the high position will be a concern. I think there will be some in the lee of the mountains that get shafted somewhat by downsloping.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Just now, BullCityWx said:

Matt, for the life of me, I can’t figure out how people are complaining about this run. What do they want?

It very much depends on where you are lol. I'd really like the NAM to trend back southwards down the stretch. Not even with the precip, just the southern fringes of the frozen stuff. 

2 minutes ago, ILMRoss said:

I’ve seen a lot of great mets ask that exact question and then get sleet. It sounds like a such a meteorological cop out at this point but “never bet against sleet” is a safe strategy

I can’t argue that but with that sounding, I’d imagine the only way we’d sleet is if our moisture got too shallow, right?

2 minutes ago, eyewall said:

As of now I think a 1-2 inch event would be about the best the Triangle would pull from this. Drier air with the high position will be a concern. I think there will be some in the lee of the mountains that get shafted somewhat by downsloping.

Thanks for that, eyewall.  Ugh.  The mountains give (in CAD events), and the mountains take away (in storms from the NW and (sometimes) W directions).  Such is life in this incredibly interesting micro-climate.  =)

Overall, I'm still pretty psyched by this storm, though.  This has the most potential all year long.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DopplerWx said:

anyone who has tracked nc/sc storms knows this is a warning shot from the nam. 3k showing that stout of a warm nose and it has only trended stronger.  this is a sleet storm for upstate to clt and if i were in rdu i'd be concerned as well. we all know how this usually ends up.

Only if it's right about how amplified the system is

Just now, calculus1 said:

Thanks for that, eyewall.  Ugh.  The mountains give (in CAD events), and the mountains take away (in storms from the NW and (sometimes) W directions).  Such is life in this incredibly interesting micro-climate.  =)

Overall, I'm still pretty psyched by this storm, though.  This has the most potential all year long.

Yeah ideally I would like to see everyone get in on it but we know how it works down here. This was much easier in my few years in BTV.

6 minutes ago, BullCityWx said:

Matt, for the life of me, I can’t figure out how people are complaining about this run if you’re almost anywhere north of 74 in NC. What do they want?

I don't either. Personally, give me a moisture-packed system over one where people are hoping the light precip is heavy enough.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, DopplerWx said:

when is the last time you saw the nam overdo a warm nose only to have it trend colder as we got closer to verification? the warm nose will likely be stronger than advertised. believe these 8-10" outputs at your own peril.

And generally, I’d agree with you but it would take some doing to wreck my sounding. Could it happen? Totally. Is it likely as modeled? I don’t think so. 

I can’t argue that but with that sounding, I’d imagine the only way we’d sleet is if our moisture got too shallow, right?

Verbatim though you’re correct, sorry for the half baked analysis I’m checking the thread via mobile.

Caution on using one temperature layer for warm noses, they can pop up anywhere from 900-700mb

10 minutes ago, eyewall said:

Would you include the Triad as part of the lee side in this setup?  Or a bit further West in the true foothills...

14 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

Anybody know where to get an 800mb temp map from the nam? That would show the warm nose much better.

Weather nerds 

https://www.weathernerds.org/models/

Also...only has rap, nam, and gfs but old favorite is twister...it shows more levels on the text soundings....sure wish more sites had detailed  text soundings  like they do. It sure helps seeing those ewls. Arl is ok but the annoying security stuff is...well annoying. 

http://www.twisterdata.com/