Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 17-18 Snow Potential

Hoosier

6 hours ago, Snowstorms said:

This winter is up there with 2011-12 and 2001-02 in terms of warmth. Well deserved after all the garbage winters we've been through in the last decade or two. 

Majority of the precip should fall tonight. Temps won't be an issue and any changeover will only be light drizzle tom morning. Wouldn't be surprised to see 3" across much of the area. 

In terms of warmth, this winter for sure ranks up with 2001-02 and 2011-12. I don't consider this winter to be as much of a bust, though, because of the snow we've had. Also, November 2001 and 2011 were blowtorches ,which November 2019 most certainly was not.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ottawa Blizzard said:

In terms of warmth, this winter for sure ranks up with 2001-02 and 2011-12. I don't consider this winter to be as much of a bust, though, because of the snow we've had. Also, November 2001 and 2011 were blowtorches ,which November 2019 most certainly was not.

Aside from Nov, this winter has been pretty warm. Only 13 days since Dec 1 with overnight lows below -10C. We avg ~39 days by the end of Feb. 

Maybe we'll get lucky now and see a nice warm summer like 2002 or 2012 haha. 

1” of wet snow down when I went out to shovel under light snow. Heard some dripping as temps did nudge above freezing today but they are falling now.

The heavy band didn’t stay over my location as long as it did out west. 3-5” reports in west metro and 6”+ out by Mankato and New Ulm. 

My 1.6” call might verify after all.

1 hour ago, Snowstorms said:

Aside from Nov, this winter has been pretty warm. Only 13 days since Dec 1 with overnight lows below -10C. We avg ~39 days by the end of Feb. 

Maybe we'll get lucky now and see a nice warm summer like 2002 or 2012 haha. 

I hope not. I'm not a big fan of high heat and humidity. Give me highs in the mid 70s in June, July, and August, and I'll be happy.

6 hours ago, totsata said:

Around 7:30 tonight, a small cell produced the first lightning strike for the year around O'Hare. Heard Skilling mention it at the 9:30pm weather segment. Thought it was interesting. 

During the winter that's a great indicator that there will be accum snow in a week.   Works every time ;)

• Like 1

Think I stole the Wyandotte snow magnet. Was expecting very little snow accumulations last night. Ended up picking up 2.1” of snow over a 6-8 hour period. Roads actually got pretty slick and snow-covered. This pushes my February total to 13.8”, and the seasonal total to 38.5”. Of course this was yet another event that was overnight and ended as drizzle while above freezing. Haven't had a single day total over 3" this month as well. Nickel and diming to an above average month.

47 minutes ago, MIstorm97 said:

Think I stole the Wyandotte snow magnet. Was expecting very little snow accumulations last night. Ended up picking up 2.1” of snow over a 6-8 hour period. Roads actually got pretty slick and snow-covered. This pushes my February total to 13.8”, and the seasonal total to 38.5”. Of course this was yet another event that was overnight and ended as drizzle while above freezing. Haven't had a single day total over 3" this month as well. Nickel and diming to an above average month.

I'm in the UP enjoying feet of snow, but sounds like we did get less than half an inch of wet snow yesterday at home, I'll est 0.3".  1 to 2" in the northern burbs as you alluded to. That's your how much of your snow would survive, but I'm know I will come home to just piles tomorrow.

12 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

I'm in the UP enjoying feet of snow, but sounds like we did get less than half an inch of wet snow yesterday at home, I'll est 0.3".  1 to 2" in the northern burbs as you alluded to. That's your how much of your snow would survive, but I'm know I will come home to just piles tomorrow.

Not even 10am and we’re already losing a decent amount. Story of this month: stat-padding snows that melt/compact the next day. I need to hit up the UP again for that deep snowpack. 

23 minutes ago, MIstorm97 said:

Not even 10am and we’re already losing a decent amount. Story of this month: stat-padding snows that melt/compact the next day. I need to hit up the UP again for that deep snowpack. 

I'm at 9.2" on the month I think and peak obs time depth has been 3". January peak depth was 6", December peak depth 1", November peak depth 9" lol.

54 minutes ago, Luftfeuchtigkeit said:

6.0" storm total yesterday, depth is 13".  Very pretty snowfall, but wet and tiring to shovel.

Forecast was for 1-3", so this way overperformed. We finally got a winter weather advisory late in the afternoon after most of the snow had already fallen.

The Euro and UK both had 4-5+" in Madison.  A couple other models were too dry and/or rainy.

First thing in the morning, when it was snowing solidly in the Dubuque area and a nice plume of precip was aimed directly at the Madison area, it seemed pretty clear Madison was going to beat the NWS forecast of 1-3".  Congrats.  Over-performers are always nice.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

7 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

I'm at 9.2" on the month I think and peak obs time depth has been 3". January peak depth was 6", December peak depth 1", November peak depth 9" lol.

Pretty much just down to piles now. I haven't done depth measurements, so I only assume mine have been relatively similar, maybe a little more at times. But here the peak depth hasn't been more than 4-5" this month. Really hope we can get another system this month. The last two February's were 19.5" in Feb '18 and 17.8" in Feb '19, so I'd like to get around there again. Only would need another 4ish inches. February really has been our month, even in the lame winters mostly.