Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 13 threat

ORH_wxman

7 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Good forecast, but not perfect. I think @Ginx snewx mentioned that it may snow a bit further south than I had suggested.

Nice call, bud.

I would have been better served to extend the 1-3" to the pike, as opposed to near route 2. And the under 1" totals to the south shore, rather than Boston.

https://easternmassweather.blogspot.com/2020/02/thursday-213-verification.html

Thursday First And Final Call.png

Verify.jpg

You really are doing very well this year. Keep the Berks and NWCT in mind for the future.  Different world latitudually 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

You really are doing very well this year. Keep the Berks and NWCT in mind for the future.  Different world latitudually 

Thanks.

My best season was 2017-2018....this season is still pending. I need a another couple of good storms, or I can't grade this greater than a B- in good faith.

5 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

They’ve been easy-ish forecasts. Glop to rain. Rinse and repeat. Not to detract.....

Except the one biggie...I did get that to within a couple of days from November 13, then nailed going all-in on a MECS when most were fence-riding.

That was a tough one.

• Like 1

One of the bigger busts I can remember up here.  About 1.75" total snow with a glaze of ice underneath at the mountain.  3/4ths to an inch at home maybe?  We can usually rely on orographic lift to produce snow but in this case there was plenty of low level lift but no ice crystals to be found.

The freezing rain was the craziest part.  It was freezing drizzle and at times just legit straight freezing rain. 

In a column completely below freezing.  Low level lift with no nuclei in for the super-cooled drops to freeze to.

Fascinating event and I actually enjoyed it.  From a met standpoint a bust is a good learning experience when it's an anomaly.

MVL.jpg.1212a0519e6793022675795937589ce2.jpg

86390589_164801424970922_457708749276263

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

One of the bigger busts I can remember up here.  About 1.75" total snow with a glaze of ice underneath at the mountain.  3/4ths to an inch at home maybe?  We can usually rely on orographic lift to produce snow but in this case there was plenty of low level lift but no ice crystals to be found.

The freezing rain was the craziest part.  It was freezing drizzle and at times just legit straight freezing rain. 

In a column completely below freezing.  Low level lift with no nuclei in for the super-cooled drops to freeze to.

Fascinating event and I actually enjoyed it.  From a met standpoint a bust is a good learning experience when it's an anomaly.

MVL.jpg.1212a0519e6793022675795937589ce2.jpg

86390589_164801424970922_457708749276263

Pete found the best snow at Magic today, pic by Radar man

20200213_141248.jpg

8 hours ago, Hazey said:

This event blew chunks even up here. Forecast was for 4-6” and ended with 1.75”. Another close in model fail. Becoming almost routine now. Glad this winter is past the halfway point.

Balancing act between the storm that was not supposed to and the one that was supposed to be appreciable but became the one that failed.  We got more last night in the sea effect which is still occurring.   

Brett Anderson mentioned on Accuweather in his new long range outlook that the ground in SE Canada is very warm which might factor into the snow melting on impact scenario as why it seems that the system was a bust though officially in my area the snowfall that fell was exactly in the 5-10 cm range but we got far less that actually stuck.  Halifax Airport officially got 11 cm.

1 hour ago, Ogmios said:

Balancing act between the storm that was not supposed to and the one that was supposed to be appreciable but became the one that failed.  We got more last night in the sea effect which is still occurring.   

Brett Anderson mentioned on Accuweather in his new long range outlook that the ground in SE Canada is very warm which might factor into the snow melting on impact scenario as why it seems that the system was a bust though officially in my area the snowfall that fell was exactly in the 5-10 cm range but we got far less that actually stuck.  Halifax Airport officially got 11 cm.

Tell Brett Andersen rates overcome warm ground, system was shat because of no lift in the DGZ

3 hours ago, Ogmios said:

The 40 cm subsurface temperature across nova scotia is near freezing on average and only above freezing in far southwest areas. If you post "warm ground" arguments in southeast canada in late feb and march you should get your ****ing degree revoked. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

The 40 cm subsurface temperature across nova scotia is near freezing on average and only above freezing in far southwest areas. If you post "warm ground" arguments in southeast canada in late feb and march you should get your ****ing degree revoked. 

That guy is a complete moron for posting that. 

44 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Another dud in a dud winter.

What's extra frustrating in this case is that it seemed like a relatively straightforward setup for our area. We weren't waiting to see if 17 different elements would come together at just the right time. Looked like a very predictable 3-6" thump, and we barely pulled off a sloppy inch.

1 minute ago, PWMan said:

What's extra frustrating in this case is that it seemed like a relatively straightforward setup for our area. We weren't waiting to see if 17 different elements would come together at just the right time. Looked like a very predictable 3-6" thump, and we barely pulled off a sloppy inch.

It was straightforward, Its just that when we needed it to maintain its track it slipped south and we ended up getting fringed, It was also forecast to be between 5-10mb stronger a few days back as well and it just ended up weak and shredded, I knew when i woke up and looked outside yesterday, Then checked the radar and it looked like sh it we were done.

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

It was straightforward, Its just that when we needed it to maintain its track it slipped south and we ended up getting fringed, It was also forecast to be between 5-10mb stronger a few days back as well and it just ended up weak and shredded, I knew when i woke up and looked outside yesterday, Then checked the radar and it looked like sh it we were done.

Greatest total I spotted in Maine was 3.5" at Union and Belmont - another midcoast town - was the only other site reporting 3".  North of my place had many 1-2" reports, south 1.5-3, but my 0.4" on 0.04" reflects the Route 2 snowshield going back into effect.  Glad it was for a puny storm rather than one with SECS potential.

16 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Greatest total I spotted in Maine was 3.5" at Union and Belmont - another midcoast town - was the only other site reporting 3".  North of my place had many 1-2" reports, south 1.5-3, but my 0.4" on 0.04" reflects the Route 2 snowshield going back into effect.  Glad it was for a puny storm rather than one with SECS potential.

Maybe we get the weds one to work out, At least it looks to be ok for the Mtns and northern Maine where the rich have been getting richer.