Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 9-10 Stat padder

HoarfrostHubb

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

One of the more miserable events to clear. My snowblower looked like a hose and a Slushie machine

I’d trade that for the 10” of cement/crust/fluff I cleared Saturday. The snowblower would ride up on the crust, blow the fluff for a while and the break trough and just spin, then I had to pull the thing backwards and go forward again. Feels like went over the entire driveway two or three times. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tavwtby said:

I'm up in Burlington for a couple days and my dad said there was 2.5" in Winsted, anyone close to confirm? I hate when I'm not there to measure, and don't yet have a cam to record. thanks in advance...btw, nice dumpage up here on Friday, looks like about two feet otg in Burlington maybe a bit less depending on where you go.

That sounds about right.  We had right around 2 inches here in New Hartford.  It is just a memory as it has all but melted.

On 2/10/2020 at 6:01 PM, powderfreak said:

Big gradient in Stowe. 

1.7” at home and almost 5” up at the ski area.  

I was there yesterday, and the difference was very striking. While it drizzled in town, it was all snow on the mountain and a great powder day. It literally changed to snow right as I arrived from town to the base lodge and gondola. Then it was a full fledged snowstorm up the lifts. Really fun day, and not many people since it was a Monday.

14 minutes ago, Fozz said:

I was there yesterday, and the difference was very striking. While it drizzled in town, it was all snow on the mountain and a great powder day. It literally changed to snow right as I arrived from town to the base lodge and gondola. Then it was a full fledged snowstorm up the lifts. Really fun day, and not many people since it was a Monday.

Yeah man!  I meant to comment on your ski thread post.... you timed it with the best snow conditions of the year.  Seriously, if you are going to visit that was the time so far this season... hit it just right.  

So many times the difference between where I live 5-6 miles away in town is a completely different world.  33-34F light drizzle in the village and a snowstorm up the road.  And that’s only half the town, there’s a whole other half towards the Worcester Range to the east.  

Its why I chuckle when folks talk about a difference of a couple inches in their town (like “I got 6 while west side of town got 8”).... we have like a 150” annual average variance in our town lol.

41 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah man!  I meant to comment on your ski thread post.... you timed it with the best snow conditions of the year.  Seriously, if you are going to visit that was the time so far this season... hit it just right.  

So many times the difference between where I live 5-6 miles away in town is a completely different world.  33-34F light drizzle in the village and a snowstorm up the road.  And that’s only half the town, there’s a whole other half towards the Worcester Range to the east.  

Its why I chuckle when folks talk about a difference of a couple inches in their town (like “I got 6 while west side of town got 8”).... we have like a 150” annual variance in our town lol.  

It was my first time skiing at Stowe, and I couldn't be happier with the timing of that trip. It was like I hit the jackpot. Saturday was spectacular, as you probably saw in the pics, and Monday was excellent as well. The whole area had a classic, old fashioned deep winter feel the whole time I was there, exactly how I imagined Vermont to be.

As far as Stowe, I was wondering about that changeover, but then I saw that with the elevation differences between town (700' or so) and the base of the mountain (1500'), it all made sense. Does the 150" variance include the summit of Mansfield? I imagine it's greater than 300" up there.

7 hours ago, Fozz said:

It was my first time skiing at Stowe, and I couldn't be happier with the timing of that trip. It was like I hit the jackpot. Saturday was spectacular, as you probably saw in the pics, and Monday was excellent as well. The whole area had a classic, old fashioned deep winter feel the whole time I was there, exactly how I imagined Vermont to be.

As far as Stowe, I was wondering about that changeover, but then I saw that with the elevation differences between town (700' or so) and the base of the mountain (1500'), it all made sense. Does the 150" variance include the summit of Mansfield? I imagine it's greater than 300" up there.

Yeah our long term average up at 3,000ft and higher is right around 300” (304” I think) and down in town the average is like 115-120”.  There’s a good 75” annual difference just between the base at 1500ft and where I live at 750ft.