Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 12-13 Snowstorm

Snowstorms

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

Duration does look better east of the DVN cwa.  In fact, it looks like it could be snowing here for ~24 hours with little/no breaks.  It is one of the reasons why I am fairly bullish on getting over 4"... in a short duration storm, there is less time to make up ground if you get off to a bad start.  

Yeah, 18z NAM has nearly 24 hours of snow for the Chicago metro area when you get added support on Thursday. 

12 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

Yeah, watch sampling take all the wind out of our sails yet again..

The southern piece is in the US and has been for a couple days so if there will be any sampling surprises it will be with the northern stream and that has been trending positively all day. Also the window is closing as this is rapidly approaching

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Not a whole lot of room to work this thing NW to jackpot us with that high chilling over the dakotas

That high pressure is going to keep my furnace running all day Thursday. High and low of 2/-16 

Good luck to those south of 42N. I need the snowpack to build up to damper any future warmups this way.

38 minutes ago, Stebo said:

The southern piece is in the US and has been for a couple days so if there will be any sampling surprises it will be with the northern stream and that has been trending positively all day. Also the window is closing as this is rapidly approaching

It looks to me like the southern stream closed low has slipped south of the border, but I largely agree... any bigger surprise would come from the handling of the northern stream.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

It looks to me like the southern stream closed low has slipped south of the border, but I largely agree... any bigger surprise would come from the handling of the northern stream.

Seeing that it comes straight out of the Yukon, I'd assume the CMC would have a better handling of the northern stream than other global models. 

3 hours ago, StormChaser4Life said:

DVN isn't impressed: 

The 12Z model suite has shown more phasing than past runs with the
upcoming system. The QPF has shifted north, resulting in models
producing typical advisory levels of snow over the CWA and the
rest of northern IL. However, no model run has really indicated a
closed mid level circulation in this phasing, thus the
precipitation should be mainly driven by WAA and not be long
lasting or heavy in the cold side of the system (not a persistent
def zone). While I am on board with increasing pops to likely for
this event, we may not have a cold boundary layer over our region,
and that could greatly limit any snow accumulation until the
Arctic front arrives Wednesday night, and once again, unless
there`s reason to draw moisture back over the cold air, that
process should shut down the widespread rain/snow. Snow showers
may develop with low level lapse rates peaking in the gusty Arctic
transition.

ILX wasn't very hyped either.

Less than 72 hours out and still showing something for us, I'm once again on the southern fringe of things which is fine if it stays that way, but any nudge north and it could be the difference between all or mostly nothing.

Why can't we get another GHD event that spreads the wealth for many, yet not everyone. Haven't had a bowling ball type event in awhile that could gibe a majority a good event.

One of these winters has to break open, maybe, possibly, hopefully....... 

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

Seeing that it comes straight out of the Yukon, I'd assume the CMC would have a better handling of the northern stream than other global models. 

I have read that over the years but is there really any basis to it lol?  The models all use the same RAOBs and stuff so it kind of doesn't make sense.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

0z NAM continuing the trend of a northern wave which dives in more.

Looks like the southern wave ejecting out a bit strung out keeps this run from having a big dog.

Yeah that piece that dives in from Montana is a new wrinkle but could certainly be a positive one.