• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 12-13 Snowstorm

Snowstorms

As Joe noted the phasing of this system is what will make or break it. My concern is the northern stream being quicker and suppressing this into a sheared out mess. That said the Euro has been very consistent on timing and this isn't that far away either.

That is my biggest concern as well, and is what most guidance shows, outside of the Euro...which is still not a perfect outcome.

Just now, Chicago Storm said:

That is my biggest concern as well, and is what most guidance shows, outside of the Euro...which is still not a perfect outcome.

Typically I would say that this is DOA, but with that northern stream piece being so significant and large in size it leads me to take pause that it could be a bit slower than projected.

3 hours ago, Sciascia said:

When’s the last winter that failed to produce at least one storm of at least 6 inches of snow for the majority of the Midwest? Has there ever been one?

Kind of difficult to answer that, saying a "majority of the midwest".  Most individual locations in the Midwest have had many winters locally without a 6"+ snowstorm, however I doubt that there has ever been a Winter where no one in the midwest got a 6"+ snowstorm, and this one has already had several.

The NAM is certainly stepping in the right direction for this storm. Southern vort is more robust and compact, and the northern stream is a little slower and weaker. Instead of a sheared our mess, we get a strengthening low that tracks through the Ohio Valley. Closer to a phase, but not quite there yet. Vort over the Hudson Bay should limit how far north this goes. This run has a widespread 4-7” from N MO - CHI - DET. Also hangs a surface trough back in Michigan at the end of the run, continuing snowfall as the main low departs. Euro shows something similar. Don’t hate where I sit in SEMI for this one. Just hope the seasonal trends of SE and strung out don’t rear their ugly heads. 

A7AB7F50-EF9B-4290-A668-475D2FAAA74D.gif

F70B0D54-BC2F-4FF0-8B08-61F225CCAC7E.gif