• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring 2020 Obs/Discussion

StantonParkHoya

Every February I post this thread. With Met Winter concluding in 23 days, and no winter weather in sight, I felt it timely to do so now.

One month from now, the sun will set in Washington at 7:08pm.

Pitchers and catchers are reporting. First Spring Training games start next week.

Daffodils and other early blooms are already emerging.

Post your observations and other thoughts here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Wonder how early cherry blossoms will pop.  Earliest I think is 15 March.  They have to be swelling at this point.  I mean it has not been really cold for really long basically at all this winter.  

Barring a late cold-snap, it'll almost certainly be an early peak bloom year. 

Just now, StantonParkHoya said:

Barring a late cold-snap, it'll almost certainly be an early peak bloom year. 

Oh yeah..but how early.  If we can’t break cold records we can work on warm ones.  I have never visited this thread but this year has snapped me like a dry twig.  I know when to say when

56 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Hopefully they get crushed and buried  by the weight of the heavy wet snow from the upcoming March blizzard ;)

57 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Hopefully they get crushed and buried  by the weight of the heavy wet snow from the upcoming March blizzard ;)

You are the eternal optimist. 

I had relatives come in from Scranton over the weekend. No one can believe this snow hole on the east coast.  The airports, cities and urban areas are one thing but for northern carroll to go snowless from jan. 8th through the entire month of February is unheard if not almost impossible. 

I've recorded at least 1 inch of snow in every March since I moved here in 2008. Every April has had at least a trace. 

4 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

Insteresting Cardinal tidbit... they spend over 90% of their life below 20' high or something like that. 

Another interesting tidbit if they try to fight their reflection. They can be so persistent about it that they can kill themselves from it (not common but happens).

Oh I know all about this. Get one every few summers- it will just keep battling itself, banging into windows, and crapping everywhere. I am never lucky enough to have one bash its own brains in though lol. You really think they would.  I found these scary "beach ball" things that have big, exaggerated eyes on them, and they work well. Looks a bit weird when you see them hanging on the house though. Kinda like Voodoo shit. But that usually still won't deter them completely- they just find another 'target'. The one I had last year found the plastic chrome trim on the lower grille of my Jeep. It spent all summer launching itself into that lol.

Its only the males that do it. The one I had last summer a lot of the time would have its mate sitting there on the ground watching him. Like "Hey babe look how tough I am fighting this dude to keep him away from you".

• Like 1