Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2/8/2020 Snow Event

mackerel_sky

4 hours ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Never criticize excitement for any snowstorm outside of the mountains in this sub forum. If everyone here had already had 10 events, this one would still get just as much attention on this site and that is one of the things that is great about this region. 1 inch storms are a big deal to a lot of posters bc the other 364 days in the year we don't get to see snow make every flake a blessing! Happy for the guys that scored, that was a big storm for some of the posters on here! A 6 inch storm anywhere on this board is a good one, especially when it over-performs and stays all snow throughout! Enjoyed living vicariously through yall for the day

:clap: Well said and totally the truth! For those this happened to in N GA/Upstate SC, we often miss out while you mountain folks and NC Piedmont and such cash in; usually our thermals are too warm down here and we get rain, sleet, or zr or something goes wrong for us. This is one of the only storms I can remember where it started as snow, ended as snow, and the main thing; overperformed. I did not expect what I got so the more posts about this relatively "surprise" storm, the better! It started as a few flurries, grew to larger flakes, accumulated first thing (timing was PERFECT for most of us) and ended as large flakes.

On 2/9/2020 at 9:28 AM, buckeyefan1 said:

Living in Columbia for 20+ years, I understand your frustration. I can’t tell you how many winters I couldn’t buy a single snowflake, while everyone else cashed in. Often multiple times during the season, lasting several years in a row. At least you’ve seen flakes in a horrible year across the eastern half of the country. That’s more than some can say. Just add it to your bucket list of things you wouldn’t want to repeat :lol: That’s what I do. This way I have “I survived” stories to tell the next generation  :lol:

I understand 100%. I have moved back to where I grew up in the Augusta Ga area on Clarks Hill Lake and it is rough down here most of the time but in 1973 when I was 4 years old it snowed 16 inches here. I don't know if you were alive then or lived in Columbia then but talking with my Grand Father when he was alive and my Great Grandmother she remembered a heavy snow in the late 1880's and my Grand Father remembered a heavy snow when he was about 10 years old in the early 1910's both over 10 inches and then the 1973 snow. They lived to see both. I am 50 so I have seen one and I am gonna follow family tradition and live to see my second heavy snow, lol. These are rare but put down higher totals than most of the state! Here is a link to the NWS account of the 1973 storm.....     https://www.weather.gov/ilm/Feb1973Snow

Ran across this...  https://www.weather.gov/cae/Snowfall_Total_Records_cor.html

26 minutes ago, 1bert1 said:

I understand 100%. I have moved back to where I grew up in the Augusta Ga area on Clarks Hill Lake and it is rough down here most of the time but in 1973 when I was 4 years old it snowed 16 inches here. I don't know if you were alive then or lived in Columbia then but talking with my Grand Father when he was alive and my Great Grandmother she remembered a heavy snow in the late 1880's and my Grand Father remembered a heavy snow when he was about 10 years old in the early 1910's both over 10 inches and then the 1973 snow. They lived to see both. I am 50 so I have seen one and I am gonna follow family tradition and live to see my second heavy snow, lol. These are rare but put down higher totals than most of the state! Here is a link to the NWS account of the 1973 storm.....     https://www.weather.gov/ilm/Feb1973Snow

I wasn’t here in ‘73, but I did walk across the Ohio River in ‘77 and the blizzards from 77-78 were absolutely amazing. Thank you for the link. Those were the days! I’m also 50 and have checked many weather item bucket list items off through the years :lol: Some I would love to repeat and some never to repeat again. The most snow I’ve ever seen here was 8.6”. It was Feb 12-13th, 2010 :wub:  It was also the only time I knew it was going to snow from about 10 days out, it was just a matter of how much moisture came with it. I’d love to repeat that one day :hug: