Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
2/8/2020 Snow Event

mackerel_sky

2 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Freezing fog won’t be an issue here tonight, stratus deck and 36 degrees here, seen this show, temps won’t go any lower than 34, IMO

Once the trough passes  winds will shift.  That little cold bubble will disappear as winds begin backing towards the west.

Judging by radar another 2-3 hours .

5 hours ago, mackerel_sky said:

Ok, so we weenies give local Mets and NWS crap for missing these forecasts, and some think oh well, they were wrong, but they try!? That was half assed forecasting at best,! Imagine if this was a weekday, and this unfolded? Kids at school, it’s puking snow, they cancel school early, roads are a disaster, parents and busses are scrambling to get kids home, parents and kids lives are at risk because the resources the school systems rely on, were totally wrong!? Rant over, thank god it was Saturday I guess, they already had a “ rain” day off of school Friday here in Greenville county!

Stop trolling before you get a timeout 

1 hour ago, mackerel_sky said:

Freezing fog won’t be an issue here tonight, stratus deck and 36 degrees here, seen this show, temps won’t go any lower than 34, IMO

Did you even look at a map? 

No need to answer. I’ll just repeat what I said above. Stop with the trolling. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eyewall said:

It really has been the most depressing winter here I can remember. This event was one more gut punch.

Living in Columbia for 20+ years, I understand your frustration. I can’t tell you how many winters I couldn’t buy a single snowflake, while everyone else cashed in. Often multiple times during the season, lasting several years in a row. At least you’ve seen flakes in a horrible year across the eastern half of the country. That’s more than some can say. Just add it to your bucket list of things you wouldn’t want to repeat :lol: That’s what I do. This way I have “I survived” stories to tell the next generation  :lol:

• Like 3

14 hours ago, ATLMet84 said:

Lookout, I've been on these boards for years and always look forward to your contributions. Did you at least see anything accumulate? I read through these pages and don't see anything about you.

Thanks..yeah I got.about an inch..maybe briefly 1.25  in sun protected spots. I was hurt by the later start time and it was 36 when it started. If not for that probably would have had 2.5 to 3 like areas just nw of athens. It was all gone by mid to late afternoon. 

Had a light glaze on things from the freezing fog this morning...which was cool too after a low of 30. Probably going to be another big temp bust for the  models. Hrrr and gfs Had been showing temps of 50 to 51 for a high but Still only 34 with thick fog where as of 11am where the hrrr has it at 41 already. . I dont think we will reach 53 ffc is forecasting. 

Also 2.3 earthquake this morning in gwinnett county. Wild run of events.

3 hours ago, SnowDawg said:

That's so wild. Got to 49 here today with full on sunshine. 

So yesterday I was supposed to hit 41 and hit 33.9. Today I was supposed to hit about 51 and hit 42.3. Sun never really came out till briefly right at sunset. Wind stayed easterly albeit very light. Did the intense snow create some kind of a strong pseudo wedge that just didn't break down? Hmmm. BTW, all the snow had almost completely melted so I drove to Sawnee Mountain (1945') about 2 miles to my SE and there was still the slightest evidence of a snowstorm. Gotta love some elevation.

4 hours ago, Met1985 said:

Actually this is pretty common for this area. When aren't we hungry for snow especially outside the mountains.  This little event was big for several people.

Yeah, for several of the ga and sc posters that was close to their seasonal average.  It's much better than 19 pages of ground temps, sun angle,  wake county snow hole, and wrals forecast. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

On 2/8/2020 at 8:34 PM, HWY316wx said:

WOOOOO WEEEEE what a day!  I love a surprise over performer.  This only got picked up by the NAM Thursday and there was so much doubt about how it would perform or if it would even happen.  What a great 4 hour storm!  Kids got to build snow men, sled and have a bunch of fun.  Currently the fog is TERRIBLE and I am wondering about freezing fog later tonight.  Here are some pics from today.

HamiltonMIll.JPG

Michael.JPG

OPRoad.JPG

Snow1.JPG

Congratulations!! You scored more in one day than most of the mountains have seen all winter lol

Here’s my favorite shot from the event. This is right as it wound down. In a winter that seemed absolutely doomed (sorry it still may be for some), this was a gorgeous day. Zero rain to deal with, high end rates throughout, didn’t have to deal with any driving, it really was a fantastic N GA winter day. Hope the tide turns for the people that missed out.  

981974C3-7732-4783-887C-97A4BA68C1BE.jpeg

• Like 5

11 hours ago, wncsnow said:

19 pages for a disturbance that affected small portions of 3 states, goes to show how snow hungry we are..

Never criticize excitement for any snowstorm outside of the mountains in this sub forum. If everyone here had already had 10 events, this one would still get just as much attention on this site and that is one of the things that is great about this region. 1 inch storms are a big deal to a lot of posters bc the other 364 days in the year we don't get to see snow make every flake a blessing! Happy for the guys that scored, that was a big storm for some of the posters on here! A 6 inch storm anywhere on this board is a good one, especially when it over-performs and stays all snow throughout! Enjoyed living vicariously through yall for the day

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Never criticize excitement for any snowstorm outside of the mountains in this sub forum. If everyone here had already had 10 events, this one would still get just as much attention on this site and that is one of the things that is great about this region. 1 inch storms are a big deal to a lot of posters bc the other 364 days in the year we don't get to see snow make every flake a blessing! Happy for the guys that scored, that was a big storm for some of the posters on here! A 6 inch storm anywhere on this board is a good one, especially when it over-performs and stays all snow throughout! Enjoyed living vicariously through yall for the day

:whistle: