Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2/8/2020 Snow Event

mackerel_sky

Just now, SnowDawg said:

My favorite part of all of this is that a little over a week ago I officially threw in the towel on this winter and gave up hope. Then in an 8 day stretch most of my county has now hit seasonal average. Now if it'd just stop raining... 

Yeah I think just about everyone was ready to throw in the towel. I knew I didn't have much hope left.  

Ffc and gsp  mentioning the chance for freezing fog tonight...would be neat if it's enough to make it white again.

Just now, mackerel_sky said:

I’m suprised they mentioned anything frozen, did not know they had that in their vocabulary 

How much did you tally up? Probably just over an inch on elevated surfaces here. Maybe a half inch in the Zoysia at one point. Not now. Could have been half a foot if clouds would have rolled in 90 minutes earlier 

1 minute ago, WarmNose said:

How much did you tally up? Probably just over an inch on elevated surfaces here. Maybe a half inch in the Zoysia at one point. Not now. Could have been half a foot if clouds would have rolled in 90 minutes earlier 

An inch is a good description for my yard! Yes, if this would have started 2-3 hours earlier and we had these rates at night, we would have easily had 3-5”

• Sad 1

Ok, so we weenies give local Mets and NWS crap for missing these forecasts, and some think oh well, they were wrong, but they try!? That was half assed forecasting at best,! Imagine if this was a weekday, and this unfolded? Kids at school, it’s puking snow, they cancel school early, roads are a disaster, parents and busses are scrambling to get kids home, parents and kids lives are at risk because the resources the school systems rely on, were totally wrong!? Rant over, thank god it was Saturday I guess, they already had a “ rain” day off of school Friday here in Greenville county!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, mackerel_sky said:

Ok, so we weenies give local Mets and NWS crap for missing these forecasts, and some think oh well, they were wrong, but they try!? That was half assed forecasting at best,! Imagine if this was a weekday, and this unfolded? Kids at school, it’s puking snow, they cancel school early, roads are a disaster, parents and busses are scrambling to get kids home, parents and kids lives are at risk because the resources the school systems rely on, were totally wrong!? Rant over, thank god it was Saturday I guess, they already had a “ rain” day off of school Friday here in Greenville county!

Yeah not sure how they can discount the NAM in good faith when it is hands down spot on almost every time it snows here. WWA should have been hoisted in all northern upstate counties last night before people went to bed. Greenville county should have been a no brainer last night. Low impact here but it definitely warranted some public notice 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

You have to think of it like pure math

If there is a 50-90% chance of it happening and only 10% of it exceeding that then you always do it for the more likely scenatio. The NWS knew it was a possibility today but it was didn't expect this rare scenario. It's a delicate balance since you never want to cry wolf.

50 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

They even admitted today, when they finally issued the wwa, they leaned heavily on the NAM! Yesterday, they didn’t seem to want to give it ANY credit?

They prob did ok for downtown gville...I tend to lean on peachtree for our neck of the woods anyway..were outcast

It was also amazing the temp difference in North GA today. While Gainesville only hit 33, my station only hit 33.9, Atlanta hit 45 and Peachtree City hit 49! Next issue is freezing fog. Can anyone that had accumulating snow see anything outside? The fog is as dense as I've ever seen it here. Temp is 31.2 and probably will end up in the upper 20s in the morning. Crazy weather (and I'm loving it!)

16 minutes ago, ATLMet84 said:

It was also amazing the temp difference in North GA today. While Gainesville only hit 33, my station only hit 33.9, Atlanta hit 45 and Peachtree City hit 49! Next issue is freezing fog. Can anyone that had accumulating snow see anything outside? The fog is as dense as I've ever seen it here. Temp is 31.2 and probably will end up in the upper 20s in the morning. Crazy weather (and I'm loving it!)

Should have a nice view there in the morning with everthing glazed over.  It's not foggy here yet.

WOOOOO WEEEEE what a day!  I love a surprise over performer.  This only got picked up by the NAM Thursday and there was so much doubt about how it would perform or if it would even happen.  What a great 4 hour storm!  Kids got to build snow men, sled and have a bunch of fun.  Currently the fog is TERRIBLE and I am wondering about freezing fog later tonight.  Here are some pics from today.

HamiltonMIll.JPG

Michael.JPG

OPRoad.JPG

Snow1.JPG

• Like 7
  • Weenie 3