• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2/8/2020 Snow Event

mackerel_sky

Temps were 41 degrees with that last storm where we got heavy wet snow that switched from light rain/snow mix. The surface layer was also completely saturated at 41 degrees and the 850-950mb layer was much warmer than it is now.  Heavy snow continued for several hours here and temp dropped down to 34 degrees by 11am with that storm.
Grant it, that storm had more qpf to work with, but my point is that even if we warm up to 36-40 degrees over the next couple of hours, temps are still way below freezing at 950mb and above, and we had room for wetbulbing at the surface since dewpoints will be in the mid/upper 20's. We still want to stay as cold as possible b/c it looks like we're only getting .1-.3 of liquid with this storm and it will suck to waste any of it on mix/white rain. but there is no doubt NE GA/western upstate will see big fluffy snow today, and i'd be suprised if these area's don't get a dusting at minimum with 1-3 inches for gainesville/toccoa/clayton/cornelia/walhalla.

GSP discussion mentioned the bullseye being around the Ellicott Rock area, which I'm 6 miles north. Hope you score well!

Can't. Freaking. Wait.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, LiQuiDBuD said:

GSP discussion mentioned the bullseye being around the Ellicott Rock area, which I'm 6 miles north. Hope you score well!

Can't. Freaking. Wait.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Anyone above 1500' in GA/SC/Southern NC mountains are a lock for 2-4 inches. You guys don't have to sweat boundary layer temps. In fact you guys above 2500' are probably in for some >10:1 ratio stuff with 850mb temps around -5C and surface temps in the upper 20's. Should get some nice big dendrites there

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

I think this will be our big problem. 25 here but CLEAR. Temps can easily rise into the mid 30s or higher in just an hour or so of sun. Needed clouds already in with precip falling now.

Same here

26 minutes ago, oconeexman said:

Yep I agree..bad timing gonna kill our chances I'm afraid

I still have hope to see some flakes. The next 3 hours of nowcasting will tell all. :snowing: :frostymelt: :maphot:

9 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

Anyone above 1500' in GA/SC/Southern NC mountains are a lock for 2-4 inches. You guys don't have to sweat boundary layer temps. In fact you guys above 2500' are probably in for some >10:1 ratio stuff with 850mb temps around -5C and surface temps in the upper 20's. Should get some nice big dendrites there

I hope so.. we are still sitting at 23 degrees with cloud cover.

• Like 1