Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2/8/2020 Snow Event

mackerel_sky

2 minutes ago, Tacoma said:

you know there is wwa all around Asheville and Buncombe County,  I would think looking at the future radar for tomorrow we would also be under the wwa.  looks good for Buncombe according to that. 

I'm not a mountain expert. But I think the trajectory with this storm creates  downsloping in the Asheville area. As such, they don't get much appreciable precip.

42 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

Latest HRR at the end of its run, juicy...:weenie: valid for 10am Saturday morning. Gainesville is gonna get plastered!

Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 5.23.12 PM.png

That has my entire county in yellows which I'm guessing is snow with more streaming in from the SW! IF something like that were to happen the dynamic cooling from the heavier snow would most certainly allow temps to drop to at least freezing. Soooo nice to look at but I'll take whatever I can get.

7 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

the in-house CJ model has updated on the news and now keeps the R/S line a good 20 miles south of i-85 for duration of the storm. Previous run had it just along 85.

Just saw that and lasts till about 4 ish! Colder temps and more precip! I thought I was hallucinating!

• Weenie 1

2 hours ago, Lookout said:

I dont agree with this. Temps should be at or even below freezing around Gainesville for a good portion of the event. Temps will already be 32 to 34 at onset  with wetbulbs around 30 12z to 14z..and with steady precip temps wont move much. 

Take it with a grain of salt but its Interesting to note the hrrr and 3km nam have narrow areas as high as 0.40 to 0.45 on the 18z runs. Would be something if that planned out. 

I'm not sure if this will have eventual consequences in the morning but my temp never got above about 37 today with cloudy skies and right now at sunset it's starting to clear out and I'm down to 35. Maybe that will mean colder tonight as clouds move in and warm us up.

10 minutes ago, ATLMet84 said:

If I were you(given how this winter has been), I would be like a kid in a candy store right now. You will most likely get plastered. What's your elevation up there?

I definitely am. This is all I had hoped for out of February, just a well timed wave within a short window of cold temps. My house sits at around 2400. I think the counties to my SW (Lumpkin, Pickens, Dawson, etc) may end up doing a bit better just because of earlier onset and better orientation for upslope enhancement. But I'll be happy if I can get at least 2 inches. Still will be below seasonal average, but it sure helps take the sting out of it. 

12 minutes ago, SnowDawg said:

I definitely am. This is all I had hoped for out of February, just a well timed wave within a short window of cold temps. My house sits at around 2400. I think the counties to my SW (Lumpkin, Pickens, Dawson, etc) may end up doing a bit better just because of earlier onset and better orientation for upslope enhancement. But I'll be happy if I can get at least 2 inches. Still will be below seasonal average, but it sure helps take the sting out of it. 

Well even if they get more to your SW along the higher ridgeline, you're still sitting VERY pretty up there with that much elevation. I'm only at 1200' down here so my "saving grace" will be early timing. I will be happy with a solid dusting. I'm sure due south of you in the lower elevations of Habersham Co. will have significantly lower totals and will melt early. Would be an interesting drive to see.

1 hour ago, mackerel_sky said:

You know to get the heaviest snow, you’ve got to be able to smell the rain!

I'm in Jackson county, GA, right on the edge of  Hall county. Looks like I'm right on the edge of the heavier precip, hoping its more snow than rain

6 minutes ago, ST21 said:

I'm in Jackson county, GA, right on the edge of  Hall county. Looks like I'm right on the edge of the heavier precip, hoping its more snow than rain

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for all of us in North GA. Hopefully you get accumulation too. Got any elevation over there?

5 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

It’s already 38 here! Winds ripping out of the w/sw, surprised we can get cold air with that trajectory 

I'm on a ridge but already down to 32.6. Valleys are down below freezing with all night to drop as clouds have cleared. If winds die down, temps will drop well into the 20s. Temps can only recover so much from a cold night with clouds moving back in. Oh the hopes of snow for tomorrow morning. I'm giddy! :thumbsup: