Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 6 Severe Threat

DanLarsen34

Just now, NorthHillsWx said:

Friend is reporting numerous trees down in his neighborhood off Falls of the Neuse near Ravenscroft. Fiance says power has come back on in our neighborhood but a lot of branches down and trashcans blown over. Sounds like quite the windstorm with the northern part of that bend as it pushed through

My parents have a massive pine tree down in their yard in the same area.

Pretty much any/every creek in the Charlotte metro area is massively overflowing. And it looks like it may keep raining until 2 AM or so. This is bad.

2 hours ago, QC_Halo said:

I can’t ever remember them cancelling school in my day, but there were days where we basically spent the entire day in the hall. I remember once in 8th grade or so, they sent us to the halls and I got a glimpse out of door, and evil cloud looked to be about 200 ft off the ground, rolling over the football field. Not a twister, but was trying mightily to become one.

I did have my mom pick me up from elementary school once in the middle of the day when we lived in Tupelo, cause it was warning after warning. 
Also in Tupelo spent many nights in the most primitive leaky, dark, spider infested storm shelter, until the the neighbors across the street built a nice, fancy one under ground.

You grew up just up 22 from them. She grew up just outside of Winfield in Marion County, about half an hour from the MS line. 

If my wife is spooked about severe weather, that’s sort of my barometer to worry. 

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Lookout said:

4.25 of rain so far. Dont remember the last time I've seen gsp and ffc issue so many flash flood warnings. 

At one point the entire North GA counties were all under flood warnings. I don't believe I've ever seen that. FFC radar estimates look pretty close to reality; it shows a small pocket of 5-6" about half a mile to my west and my cocorahs guage recorded 5.65" in NW Forsyth. This means in 2020 (37 days) I've received a whopping 13.22"!.

1 hour ago, BullCityWx said:

You grew up just up 22 from them. She grew up just outside of Winfield in Marion County, about half an hour from the MS line. 

If my wife is spooked about severe weather, that’s sort of my barometer to worry. 

I’m not sure how old your wife is, but I bet she’s heard of the Guin storm 1974

The famous super outbreak. I was 6 at the time. I don’t remember that day specifically, but I’m sure I spent the day huddled up somewhere.

In the 13 years we’ve been here it’s probably only the 2nd time I’ve gotten our one safe space (a closet) cleared out for sever weather. My daughter (home sick from school) thought it was pretty exciting for a few minutes, getting to huddle in the closet with mom. Totally foreign to her. 
I’ve always been fascinated with tornadoes, and have been real close a number of times, but I’ve got to say, it’s been kind of nice not having to worry too much about them here in the Carolinas. 

Severe Thunderstorm Storm warning atm for Orange County for the next hour or so. Including most counties and cities under and ahead of the squall line that's moving east.

Couple of tornado warnings south/east of Tampa.

But yep it's about to rain. Tree frogs have started making noise. 

Storm total rain for southwest Winston-Salem: 4.77”.

Wow.

And a wind advisory issued. A gust of 53 mph was recently measured at PTI:

Wind AdvisoryURGENT - WEATHER MESSAGENational Weather Service Raleigh NC443 AM EST Fri Feb 7 2020...Unusually strong, high impact wind event expected acrosscentral NC early today....A rapidly strengthening area of low pressure will tracknortheastward across the middle Atlantic states today. A trailingcold front will sweep east across central NC this morning, withfollowing very strong southwesterly wind that will overspread theregion.NCZ007>011-021>028-038>043-073>078-083>086-088-089-072100-/O.CON.KRAH.WI.Y.0001.200207T1000Z-200207T2100Z/Person-Granville-Vance-Warren-Halifax-Forsyth-Guilford-Alamance-Orange-Durham-Franklin-Nash-Edgecombe-Davidson-Randolph-Chatham-Wake-Johnston-Wilson-Stanly-Montgomery-Moore-Lee-Harnett-Wayne-Anson-Richmond-Scotland-Hoke-Cumberland-Sampson-Including the cities of Roxboro, Oxford, Creedmoor, Henderson,Kittrell, Warrenton, Norlina, Roanoke Rapids, Enfield,Scotland Neck, Winston-Salem, Greensboro, High Point, Burlington,Graham, Mebane, Hillsborough, Chapel Hill, Carrboro, Durham,Rougemont, Louisburg, Franklinton, Nashville, Spring Hope,Rocky Mount, Tarboro, Princeville, Lexington, Thomasville,Asheboro, Archdale, Siler City, Pittsboro, Raleigh, Cary, Apex,Wake Forest, Knightdale, Smithfield, Selma, Clayton, Wilson,Albemarle, Troy, Southern Pines, Pinehurst, Aberdeen, Carthage,Sanford, Lillington, Angier, Buies Creek, Erwin, Dunn, Goldsboro,Wadesboro, Polkton, Rockingham, Ellerbe, Laurinburg,Camp Mackall, Wagram, Raeford, Fayetteville, Spring Lake,Hope Mills, Clinton, and Roseboro443 AM EST Fri Feb 7 2020...WIND ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 PM EST THISAFTERNOON...* WHAT...Winds will become southwesterly and increase to between 15 and 30 mph, with frequent gusts between 35 and 45 mph. Infrequent gusts in excess of 50 mph will be possible, especially across the Sandhills and Coastal Plain, from Laurinburg to Fayetteville to Goldsboro and Rocky Mount.* WHERE...All of central North Carolina.* WHEN...The Advisory is in effect from 5 AM to 4 PM EST today. The strongest wind will occur between 6 or 7 AM and noon or 1 PM.* IMPACTS...Significant tree damage, including falling limbs and branches, and scattered to numerous uprooted trees, will result, as will numerous power outages.* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Given that this is expected to be an unusually strong wind event, and soil is saturated from multiple inches of soaking rain during the past 48 hours, scattered to numerous uprooted trees may result.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...Travel and outdoor activities are strongly discouraged thismorning due to the strong wind gusts and increased risk of treedamage.&&

16 minutes ago, Solak said:

3.70 yesterday. Had some insane gusts earlier this morning around 7:00 - easily 40-50mph. It's settled down a little now - the pines are whistling instead of howling.

I've just had my strongest gusts over the last 30 minutes. Pretty easily 50ish if not higher. Lots of neighbors gonna have shingle problems as they are being flipped and coming off. Even tore up my neighbors vinyl trum at the end of the video.

Sorry about the audio.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

From rainfall and flooding, tornadoes, a widespread severe squall line, to a post-frontal wind event, I'd say this system has overperformed or at least met expectations for almost all areas of the sub forum. Anyone notice the 68 mph wind gust at Hatteras last hour? We just had what I assume to be the last of the rain from the system. Winds are gusty, but nothing compared to 6:30 this morning. Too bad it wasn't snow but this has been an exciting couple days on the weather front.

• Like 2

Not as bad as 2009's week-of-rain, but the flood warnings and water levels in northern Georgia were pretty amazing.

We ended up with what looks like about 5.5" in south Cumming/north Alpharetta.  I missed the first part due to driving home from a road trip Weds evening, during which (unintentionally) my timing was perfect for the maximum time spent in torrential rain as the line crossed I-75.  From about 50-60 miles north of the FL/GA border until nearly the Perimeter, it was continual rain ranging from near-whiteout to just heavy. 

Husband reported that we had 1-2 minutes of light snow flurry early this morning.