Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February to Forget Volume 2 - 2020

TalcottWx

It was 2015 ... 

We had 120" ( average ...some more, some less) spread out over a month, which is 12 feet... So in an affect ( or is it "effect" in that context - ) 2015 was worse by a factor of two. 

Although...hm, they say 4,5 and 6 feet on the level, and that about matches what happened in my town... At max static depth I had 50" ... It was hard to stack higher than that, despite being so cold during that fabled February, because the snow was so low ratio and so pancaked by it's own weight.  

I think a lot of the specter value is era/adaptive relative.  I mean, 1717 was a pre-industrial pump, lever, and oxen powered culture, replete with 'state of the art' log cabins and no plumbing in most cases.  No automatic home heating. Nor refrigerators... and so on.  We can stock a fridges and load up on Netflix and wait it out these days, and with snow plows and higher tech solvent chemistries on roads ... what's 20" ?   whatever... I never was delayed by that 16" deal we had in Dec... Back in the 1980s when I was a kid, that would have been an geological epoch!  Now, I think I made the gym both days of that.  It's just not the same folks... and this is a dying hobby believe it or not, if for want this is a hobby about dystopian excitement.   Not to mention, we have ( apparently ) earned our latitude a Philidelphia climate now. ...but we'll see on the latter. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BrianW said:

On This Day in 1717: We remember the start of the "Great Snow of 1717" which was a parade of winter storms from February into early March.

FB_IMG_1582829955961.jpg

Way above thy knickers. One of my great finds at the Mashantucket Museum when I worked there was an Algonquin translated book which mentioned in a small paragraph the tremendous hardships from 1717. Was so cool to find that reference. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It was 2015 ... 

We had 120" ( average ...some more, some less) spread out over a month, which is 12 feet... So in an affect ( or is it "effect" in that context - ) 2015 was worse by a factor of two. 

Although...hm, they say 4,5 and 6 feet on the level, and that about matches what happened in my town... At max static depth I had 50" ... It was hard to stack higher than that, despite being so cold during that fabled February, because the snow was so low ratio and so pancaked by it's own weight.  

I think a lot of the specter value is era/adaptive relative.  I mean, 1717 was a pre-industrial pump, lever, and oxen powered culture, replete with 'state of the art' log cabins and no plumbing in most cases.  No automatic home heating. Nor refrigerators... and so on.  We can stock a fridges and load up on Netflix and wait it out these days, and with snow plows and higher tech solvent chemistries on roads ... what's 20" ?   whatever... I never was delayed by that 16" deal we had in Dec... Back in the 1980s when I was a kid, that would have been an geological epoch!  Now, I think I made the gym both days of that.  It's just not the same folks... and this is a dying hobby believe it or not, if for want this is a hobby about dystopian excitement.   Not to mention, we have ( apparently ) earned our latitude a Philidelphia climate now. ...but we'll see on the latter. 

A typo alert-120" is only 10 ', not 12. 

Otherwise I always saw the Feb 96 storm as a turning point.  Few people in metro areas has AWD cor SUVs for that storm.  I remember in C NJ they asked for those that did to help with EMS needs.  After that it seemed that SUVs exploded in popularity.  There were other factors but with so many more able to get through the storm it made it seem like impacts were lower.

20 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

If we only could get another 1717 to kill off the deer, I wouldn’t have to run them over in my car as much. 

Biologists estimated that 2/3 of NNJ deer perished in 1960-61.  Winter came with a rush Dec 11-12 with 12-20" of low-teens powder when deer would normally still be fattening up on acorns and hickory nuts.  That also greatly reduced the take during the state's firearm season (12th was opening day) such that an emergency 3-day season was added at the end of the month.  Then the JFK inaugural storm dumped 15-25" atop an existing modest pack and 2+ subfreezing weeks later another 20-28" landed on Feb. 3-4.  In NNE the deer have stands of evergreens in which to take shelter.  Not so in NNJ and the critters had to wallow thru the depths in open hardwood stands.  Friend and I attempted the 1/4 mile walk to the nearby reservoir on Feb.5 and gave up after 100 yards of navel-deep thrashing.  (We were both 5-8/5-9 at the time, and much better fed than the deer.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

ORH +4.3F going into the last day

PVD +4.5

BDL +4.7

BOS +6.4F

Everything’s fine...

Theres our 2 degree bias. All of the majors 8 to 10th warmest Feb cept Boston number 2 , go figure all the Boston Mets ignoring Charlie and running Graphics about Bostons 2nd warmest Feb ever

• Like 2