Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February to Forget Volume 2 - 2020

TalcottWx

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

A chunk of December skews the DJF temps and snow. From about 12-20 until now, I think this is up with the all timers. I didn’t look at the numbers, but I feel like it’s up there.

Anyways not trying to complain....it is what it is. 

Yeah, it's been an incredible stretch but you can't cherry pick the periods that get factored into met winter.  I think you're right though, I think in terms of snow It's 2 or 3 (possibly 1) at some locations for that 12/20 onward stretch.

5 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

While true, we can’t really cherry pick    It’s like asking Mrs Lincoln “Other than the unfortunate event, how was the play?”

Lop off the first part of Dec and it is definitely a warm, low snow winter.  One of the worst.  Such a good start here though.

Ah well.  On to next week. Prob more of the same.  

I wasn’t cherry picking though. I was just pointing out how bad the heart of winter was. 
Looks to continue too.

23 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

A chunk of December skews the DJF temps and snow. From about 12-20 until now, I think this is up with the all timers. I didn’t look at the numbers, but I feel like it’s up there.

Anyways not trying to complain....it is what it is. 

It’s an all timer . You don’t get 5” of snow from Dec 22- Morch 31st. not in anyone’s worst nightmare . It’s like we moved to GD Newark , Delaware 

23 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It’s an all timer . You don’t get 5” of snow from Dec 22- Morch 31st. not in anyone’s worst nightmare . It’s like we moved to GD Newark , Delaware 

I have had 4.5" since December 18th, 3.7" of that fell in the SWFE on January 18th....I lived 20 miles south of Newark for 6 years and I am pretty sure we averaged 15 inches per year, which is exactly where I sit for this season....

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

I wasn’t cherry picking though. I was just pointing out how bad the heart of winter was. 
Looks to continue too.

This is real bad in your area and over to Kev's and southward... for sure.  You guys lucked out in 2015-16 and were still in that pattern of any coastal low will smoke SNE, despite the really bad pattern.

2015-16 was MUCH worse up here by a factor of probably 10, as we didn't have snow on the ground like most of that winter it seemed.  This winter we've kept snow cover for pretty much the entire winter still.

But down by you guys, I have to imagine this one is up there with 2011-12 and 2001-02.  Those winters I think had warmer temps but if it won't snow, that probably makes it better?

34 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

I have had 4.5" since December 18th, 3.7" of that fell in the SWFE on January 18th....I lived 20 miles south of Newark for 6 years and I am pretty sure we averaged 15 inches per year, which is exactly where I sit for this season....

You're killing it dude. I'm still trying to get to double digits.

1 hour ago, MetHerb said:

'02 and '12 were worse.  This winter lines up behind those those and '89 when you factor in snow and temperatures.  '12 was particularly worse for me for the financial hardship it created for me that took me and others years to recover from.  That doesn't exist this year.  The average temp this met winter has been 28.9 while 2002 was 33.4 and 2012 was 31.6.  Those are actually my warmest winters and 2012 had just about as much snow and we've had nearly twice as much as 2002. 

If you want to think that this winter is worse than a winter that was warmer and had half as much snow, you're welcome to believe that but while this winter has been crappy, I think looking at the data for my backyard that those were worse in totality.

What do you do where you depend on snow/ cold weather for your line of work?

14 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

What do you do where you depend on snow/ cold weather for your line of work?

Not much you can do.  Thankfully it's a mostly seasonal thing for most people.  That's what happened to me in 2012 though.  I was expanding right when the market collapsed.  You're at the mercy of nature and it affected producers throughout the region.  Bulk prices soured and many buyers stopped using maple syrup as an ingredient.  It's come back some but I think there was lots business across the board.

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

This is real bad in your area and over to Kev's and southward... for sure.  You guys lucked out in 2015-16 and were still in that pattern of any coastal low will smoke SNE, despite the really bad pattern.

2015-16 was MUCH worse up here by a factor of probably 10, as we didn't have snow on the ground like most of that winter it seemed.  This winter we've kept snow cover for pretty much the entire winter still.

But down by you guys, I have to imagine this one is up there with 2011-12 and 2001-02.  Those winters I think had warmer temps but if it won't snow, that probably makes it better?

Yeah we had to pay the piper eventually. You’re absolutely right about 15-16. We did fairly well all things considered.  Can’t win them all. We were definitely due for a true ratter. Hopefully this isn’t the start of a trend lol. Good to see you guys have a respectable season. Should get some more later this week. Part of the pain is that my plans to try and ski again and teach my son just aren’t lining up. Bummer about that, but life happens. 

36 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

This winter is definitely not as bad as 11-12 or 01-02 at least in interior MA. We never had a stretch like the first half of December those winters. 

The heart of winter has been about as bad as it gets...but at least we had snow on the ground virtually the entire month of December (save like 4 days) and several decent events (including a 17 incher). So there’s no way I could rate this winter worse than those. 

If I only graded it based on january and February then I might. But obviously those aren’t the only months that make up the winter. 

Yeah 1st half of December was great. No complaints and that was a fun time. But there’s something that just hurts about getting nearly zilch in the heart of winter. It’s a real tough time for an enthusiast. They happen, but it just downright sucks when it does. Peak climo and you really have nothing to snow. Hate to see it.

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah we had to pay the piper eventually. You’re absolutely right about 15-16. We did fairly well all things considered.  Can’t win them all. We were definitely due for a true ratter. Hopefully this isn’t the start of a trend lol. Good to see you guys have a respectable season. Should get some more later this week. Part of the pain is that my plans to try and ski again and teach my son just aren’t lining up. Bummer about that, but life happens. 

It certainly has been leaner on snowfall and January torched, but somehow we survived up here.  Snow depth has lagged all year but has had periods near normal, currently below normal snowpack but that is still 2-5 feet of dense, settled snow at the mountain depending on elevation.  In town we've at least been walking in paths from the snow for quite a bit this season.  I'd rate it below average but is it weird that by the end of a season like this, I feel like I can't let the winter grade get influenced by snow results elsewhere?

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

This winter is definitely not as bad as 11-12 or 01-02 at least in interior MA. We never had a stretch like the first half of December those winters. 

The heart of winter has been about as bad as it gets...but at least we had snow on the ground virtually the entire month of December (save like 4 days) and several decent events (including a 17 incher). So there’s no way I could rate this winter worse than those. 

If I only graded it based on january and February then I might. But obviously those aren’t the only months that make up the winter. 

There's something to be said for December snow before the holidays.  I still think that time of high anticipation is a good one to get smoked.  Just for shits and giggles, does the winter appeal change if nothing fell at all through now, and then you got December's snow this upcoming March?

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

There's something to be said for December snow before the holidays.  I still think that time of high anticipation is a good one to get smoked.  Just for shits and giggles, does the winter appeal change if nothing fell at all through now, and then you got December's snow this upcoming March?

I would grade it worse if nothing fell at all and then we got December’s snow in March. Personal preference of course but give me the holiday snow and snow cover any day. 

We’ll see how this one finishes. Honestly, the heart of this winter has been pretty similar to ‘96-‘97 around ORH. Maybe save the exceptional 2 day torch in January. But very little snow like that year after the big December. The winter finished strong though in March and of course the epic all-timer on 3/31-4/1...so it was a bookend winter with garbage in between. If we have a good finish to this one then it would change the feel of it...kind of like that winter which I look back at as a lot better than it really should be looked at.