Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February to Forget Volume 2 - 2020

TalcottWx

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

MetHerb just cut down all of his sugar maples.

Yeah, mother nature is telling me it's early spring.  Sap was flowing like a mo fo yesterday and today.  I tap every mid-February and everything is running (pardon the pun) on schedule.  With the exception of the lack of snow, temps look good for a great maple season.

Yeah again... flow relaxation finally, but to no gain because the underpinning pattern remains... It's just a less fervent version of the same shit.  I was hoping with the AO toppling from +orbit to a mile above 0 SD ...  ( jesus ), together with relaxing/climo, might herald some sort of quasi-blocking/"bowling" option.

WRONG

Anyway, if anything I gotta wonder if the operational runs are too cold obsessed in the East with this layout- granted I don't know what the EPS looks like but ...this fits the tenor/season trend too well to ignore so I'd almost be willing to bet on relentless persistence/verification, and go ahead and assume if the EPS flags any other semblance than a butt poking it's full of shit...

image.thumb.png.3af2eb8067c390ebad615e1c8cb05637.pngBut well see.... 

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yeah again... flow relaxation finally, but to no gain because the underpinning pattern remains... It's just a less fervent version of the same shit.  I was hoping with the AO toppling from +orbit to a mile above 0 SD ...  ( jesus ), together with relaxing/climo, might herald some sort of quasi-blocking/"bowling" option.

WRONG

Anyway, if anything I gotta wonder if the operational runs are too cold obsessed in the East with this layout- granted I don't know what the EPS looks like but ...this fits the tenor/season trend too well to ignore so I'd almost be willing to bet on relentless persistence/verification, and go ahead and assume if the EPS flags any other semblance than a butt poking it's full of shit...

image.thumb.png.3af2eb8067c390ebad615e1c8cb05637.pngBut well see.... 

This was a winter where if you forecast off persistence you’d get an A+. Sometimes that works. This winter it did 

9 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Worst of my years in CT. Since 78. Maybe 89 was worse but that’s it

It actually feels like the worst Jan-Feb stretch, for me, since I arrived by boat in 1985 and settled in CNJ until moving to CT in 2011. No way anyone can put makeup on this trash...but March can sneak something in.  

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

It actually feels like the worst Jan-Feb stretch, for me, since I arrived by boat in 1985 and settled in CNJ until moving to CT in 2011. No way anyone can put makeup on this trash...but March can sneak something in.  

I was born and in NJ in 72 and moved here in 78. Other than 89-90, this is worst . And it might be as bad

11 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

For here at least 2011-2012 and 2015-16 were worse.   Both in total snow and events.  The October storm gives 2011 a special place though. 

I thought 2015-16 was better.  Fringed by the blizzard and good snows in March (and April).  But December through most of February was horrendous.  Coldest BOS day in 60 years on Valentine’s Day brings it up a notch.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I was born and in NJ in 72 and moved here in 78. Other than 89-90, this is worst . And it might be as bad

'02 and '12 were worse.  This winter lines up behind those those and '89 when you factor in snow and temperatures.  '12 was particularly worse for me for the financial hardship it created for me that took me and others years to recover from.  That doesn't exist this year.  The average temp this met winter has been 28.9 while 2002 was 33.4 and 2012 was 31.6.  Those are actually my warmest winters and 2012 had just about as much snow and we've had nearly twice as much as 2002. 

If you want to think that this winter is worse than a winter that was warmer and had half as much snow, you're welcome to believe that but while this winter has been crappy, I think looking at the data for my backyard that those were worse in totality.

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

A chunk of December skews the DJF temps and snow. From about 12-20 until now, I think this is up with the all timers. I didn’t look at the numbers, but I feel like it’s up there.

Anyways not trying to complain....it is what it is. 

How could it not be? About half of my snow came in that event the first few days of December.

We literally have had scraps for 3 months now. The biggest event we had was that MLK weekend event that dropped like 3” LOL

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

A chunk of December skews the DJF temps and snow. From about 12-20 until now, I think this is up with the all timers. I didn’t look at the numbers, but I feel like it’s up there.

Anyways not trying to complain....it is what it is. 

While true, we can’t really cherry pick    It’s like asking Mrs Lincoln “Other than the unfortunate event, how was the play?”

Lop off the first part of Dec and it is definitely a warm, low snow winter.  One of the worst.  Such a good start here though.

Ah well.  On to next week. Prob more of the same.  

• Thanks 1