Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February to Forget Volume 2 - 2020

TalcottWx

13 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

The snowy folks have been passively making tic tic videos all over the faces of those of us from ORH south that have had the worst winters of our lives. It’s been noted, but also understood. Glad you’ve had snow. 

It has been very boring for a while though.  

4 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

It's been a tight NW favored gradient.  Ray and I usually run neck and neck, year in and year out, with his advantage in big coastal years but you can see the gradient that occurred so far this season on Kevin's snow table thread.

If not for the early December storm, RT 2 N would be absurdly ahead in totals.  I'd still be at 30" and Dave at or above 40" but many S of the Pike would barely be out of single digit totals.  So in that regard it has been a full ratter for many. 

This year RT 2 N & W of Gardner has been a bit disappointing but still mostly been full winter conditions despite the mild temperatures and lack of impressive storms. 

Heck...despite the Dec snow, I’m still barely in double digit snow YTD. Sitting at a measly 17.8”.  The longest stretch if you can call it that we’ve had with cover is probably the two days following the mid Jan event. Bare ground the rest of the time. 

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

You could not dream up a worse winter if you planned it for a year . 4-6” from Jan 1- Napril 1

That really would really be a feat.  I still think you guys get an advisory event at the least going out, always the chance of a hail mary in SNE too.  If anyone can rip out a big solid surprise spring snowstorm, it's you guys in the interior/hills of SNE.  Random bombs is what you do, just get some transient blocking...even a quick hitter.

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

That really would really be a feat.  I still think you guys get an advisory event at the least going out, always the chance of a hail mary in SNE too.  If anyone can rip out a big solid surprise spring snowstorm, it's you guys in the interior/hills of SNE.  Random bombs is what you do, just get some transient blocking...even a quick hitter.

There is definitely a solid hit coming for the interior, including Kevin before mid-March, just be nice to see one that snows all the way to the CT coast/LI.

4 hours ago, Bostonseminole said:

Folks that are satisfied with this winter because of a few inches in early dec have lost it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I said more satisfied than most. Obviously its far from ideal. But agreed, the clowns that clog every thread pissing and moaning are for more mentally stable and rationale.

3 hours ago, BombsAway1288 said:

I wouldn't go that far. Yes it's further south so that means usually a little warmer and less snow then NE but if any big city compares to Boston climate wise, I'd say it's NYC. Temps are very similar climo wise. Coastal areas of NE from BOS-south and west are pretty similar to the coastal tri-state area. Now if you're talking north of the Mass/NH border, then it's def different.

I'd say south of EWR starts to really draw major differences in climo compared to NE.

Boston's snow climo is twice that of NYC.

In general, this winter has produced similar results to last year. The main difference is the complete lack of severe cold shots destroying huge amounts of warm anomalies in very short periods, like late January for the Midwest, or February in the Plains. I'm the magical white spot in New Mexico. The map is about right - roughly ~ +1.0F for my winter to date, and we're on pace for 100+ lows <=32F for Oct-May.

The Northern Plains/Montana have never had four severe cold winters in a row back to the 1890s if you look in the records - that looks like it will hold this year. Billings & Bismarck are both about +3F, 82 days into winter. It would take a week of -30 departures by 2/29 to wipe that out. I had three very strong analogs for winter out of the six I selected in October - should have weighted them more heavily - 1953-54 (x3), 1992-93, 2018-19 (x2) as a blend is damn close to the look for the winter highs so far. 

The warm to cold nature (relatively, look at the last week v. Feb 1-20) for the East this February is consistent with how the SOI behaved in December. Strongly positive initially (like Dec 2018) and then much more negative late. The European has a hurricane/typhoon near Darwin, so the SOI is going to pop for a little while more. Big crash a few days before March should set up some semblance of the repeat of late November, which had record SW precip as the MJO died, and then eventually some powerful storms for the NE.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I said more satisfied than most. Obviously its far from ideal. But agreed, the clowns that clog every thread pissing and moaning are for more mentally stable and rationale.

It’s pathetic. Whiney snobs who haven’t gotten their way. I get it, winter has sucked...go knit a sweater if you can’t offer anything else. 

We’ll have a window to produce. Next week looks good for CNE-NNE and hopefully after that there is a shot for SNE. If not, ok we struck out again. We dust ourselves off and get back in the box when the opportunity presents itself...next season. Man up.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

6 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Boston's snow climo is twice that of NYC.

That’s a bit of an exaggeration. The 151 year average in NYC is 28.8 inches including the miserable winter they’ve endured this year. I’m not sure of Boston’s exact number but I’m sure it’s not 57.6 or anywhere near that. Maybe around 45 sounds about right. 

11 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Looks fairly mild later on in the 11-15 day. Other than a deep trough for a few days, I don’t see much hope. Maybe it changes. 

Time to start gearing up towards summer!!

Any thoughts on May/June out in the Plains in terms of the pattern? I hope to God we don't see a massive ridge build in the central U.S. otherwise I'll be a bit upset. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, dendrite said:

-0.3° so far

Pushing -30° again in Pittsburg. 

32 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:
52 minutes ago, dendrite said:
-0.3° so far
Pushing -30° again in Pittsburg. 

I can count on one hand how many times we've been below zero and this morning isn't one of them

Colder than I thought it would be here.  Car thermo read -8° when I left and bottomed out at -16° on the way into work.  KMPV is at -14° and Island Pond checking in with a brisk -31°

Just now, mreaves said:

Colder than I thought it would be here.  Car thermo read -8° when I left and bottomed out at -16° on the way into work.  KMPV is at -14° and Isl;and Pond checking in with a brisk -31°

It was brutal this morning when I left. I was pissed too b/c I didn't put a sweatshirt on under my jacket. I had already started doing my hair and realized I forgot to put my sweatshirt on...I was so pissed. 

• Weenie 2

18 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

It was brutal this morning when I left. I was pissed too b/c I didn't put a sweatshirt on under my jacket. I had already started doing my hair and realized I forgot to put my sweatshirt on...I was so pissed. 

You and your 1980’s ponytails and hair gels and a brittle always cold body. I was out in the driveway in a t shirt this morning. Get married and have kids, it will man you up kid.

• Weenie 1