Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February to Forget Volume 2 - 2020

TalcottWx

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

It got marginally better....esp after the 3/7-8 storm....but that pattern was almost purely Atlantic....the 3/21 storm probably had the best PAC of the 4 storms, but that isn't saying much.

Here's a GFS loop of the pattern right as the 3/2 storm is ending. Look at how marginal the airmass is even in the 3/8 storm. But the block forced the track underneath us. That storm was already negatively tilted out in the western plains....it probably goes through lake superior without the blocking. You can see how the marginal cold is being supplied from the north in Quebec. Not really from central Canada via an EPO/PNA dump.

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ARC/20180303/AVN_0z/avnloopnew.html

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ARC/20180303/MRF_0z/mrfloop2.html

Great Memory and maps! Thinking back now 3/21 was probably the coldest one of the bunch down here. 

And yes, I would never think this storm would slide underneath us with that look out west. 

4B1A9AB6-CF8B-4228-B6F3-508E1973ED30.gif

...North Carolina is going to end the month with more more snow than I had.  This is f*cking awful.  What a forgetful season this has been.  I just saw Ryan post the Spring outlook with AN normal temps and precip.  F*CK IT... BRING ON THE Above normal (but still not warm enough to do  any enjoyable SH*T outside), DAMP SPRING and the mOsQUiTos! 
Might as well prepare for the Kevin endorsed dews while we're at it.  

• Haha 2
  • Weenie 3

The apoplexy in here is delicious ... 

The storm next week ...fwiw and whomever is lucid enough to read this, really isn't part of the same pattern advertisement slated for more that last week of the month into the first week or two of March. 

This one wasn't ever really supposed to be - although, I will admit that the underlying 'canvas' has a relaxing look already, so it may be a transition type of thing.  There's that..  but also, adding to uncertainty is the double-wave total structure of that evolution.  There's some interference going on there ... If the space between them opens up a bit more, than we get more cold draining in behind the lead and sets table with more BL inhibition and forcing toward the coast eventually evolves.  Or, it needs to dampen out more, and let the high in Canada get us to the same BL conditioning that way.  This 12z run decides to play it both directions...running up the earlier wave too close in time with the following, such that BL is scoured out and the follow-up system then has less forcing and ends up west in total.   

If all that were not enough... discussing scenarios over a D6/7 event is a bit of a pop-cycle headache anyway.  But that's why hands are thrown - because of the utter certainty at D6/7, right?  haha

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah...I'm not disputing Archambault events....we all know they exist. But here's a quick list of larger storms that had no phase change in a -NAO pattern off the top of my head in the past decade or so:

Both March 2018 storms

3/8/13

12/26/10

All the Feb 2010 storms

Both big dogs in Jan 2011 were phase change events....but that month was very negative...briefly going positive just after the storms. That negative baseline was really important though....especially for 1/12/11. I didn't put anything from 2015 on there since we never had a negative NAO....stayed positive.

Exactly....tougher to avail of a phase change going from +1 to +3 NAO, or vice versa.

37 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

That's a crazy dynamic system on the Euro....if baroclinic zone can set up a little further east, then that would get many into some fun.

Not expecting it right now....but we'll see what it look like on Sunday.

Too bad....be nice to get just one good one, then let it end for good this year. 

50 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

What a dung winter. We’re almost beyond this. 

2.8” for Feb

4” for Jan

Max temp:  70F (Jan 12th)

Pretty good for peak winter climo. 

Looked at those numbers and thought to myself, “that sounds a lot like winter in the Carolinas...” Funny thing is, by this time tomorrow ~1/4 of NC will have received about as much snowfall as you through 2/21. 

Just now, MJO812 said:

Don't  look at the euro snowmap

The coast gets shafted while the interior and the south gets more snow.

you should shart (not a typo) a storm thread for the 27-28th.

Let's stop worshiping models every six hours and put our collective thinking caps on....let's use knowledge and intelligence to make some ballsy calls instead of just posting some what some fantasy model from 200+ hours out is saying. Let's bang out some projected snowfall/rainfall  maps from templates then participate and embrace constructive dialogue! Yes, YES!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Euro shifted the total 00z solution E by some 300 miles ... Jesus...  lost on y'all

also, the incredible 'subsume phase' synoptic evolution and at this range...  Heh, it's lecturing a empty room at this point I guess

I'm listening...I always enjoyed an exciting lecture by a good prof. I reacted initially with regards to another dynamic system leaving us on the warm/rainy side as has been everytime since early December. However, assuming the players are a bit different this time around, I guess there is room for some improvement?

12 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Euro shifted the total 00z solution E by some 300 miles ... Jesus...  lost on y'all

also, the incredible 'subsume phase' synoptic evolution and at this range...  Heh, it's lecturing a empty room at this point I guess

I'm just not really interested in a system that is 7 days out. It's definitely possible it turns into a legit snow threat....but I'm waiting until at least Saturday night or Sunday to start thinking seriously about it. But yeah....I've mentioned previously that this storm could produce if things line up....it has some amazing dynamics with it.

But I'm waiting until we're closer to the 100 hour mark before really analyzing the details if it is still even a viable threat by then.

32 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

A holiday season KU is always enjoyable. We just missed out on that one here.  About 5” at the tail end when it finally changed over. 

Yea, if I hadn't gotten a KU there, then this would have been right on par with the all-time turds, like 1995, 2002, 2012, etc.