Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February to Forget Volume 2 - 2020

TalcottWx

41 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Well, I think when the month averages negative, we have a better shot of having the nuanced timing work out.

Possibly unless the neg values are during dry periods or super intense.  You can have big snows in a positive with a transient that then develops a strong NAO with a dry period. Suffice to say you need to dig deeper when doing correlation 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Possibly unless the neg values are during dry periods or super intense.  You can have big snows in a positive with a transient that then develops a strong NAO with a dry period. Suffice to say you need to dig deeper when doing correlation 

Yea, I get that, but I'd rather negative than positive.

• Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea, I get that, but I'd rather negative than positive.

Yep me too.

Without looking at the dailies, composite monthly negative will average more snow than composite monthly positive.

Obviously if you can, you want to look at more detail....but if all we can choose from are monthly composites, I'll take the negative all day long.

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yep me too.

Without looking at the dailies, composite monthly negative will average more snow than composite monthly positive.

Obviously if you can, you want to look at more detail....but if all we can choose from are monthly composites, I'll take the negative all day long.

As has been proven by researchers the biggest most prolific storms occur during phase changes. Piddly nickle and dimes make up the majority of Neggie storms.

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

As has been proven by researchers the biggest most prolific storms occur during phase changes. Piddly nickle and dimes make up the majority of Neggie storms.

This!!!

It would be freaking awesome if someone who had the skill really divulged into the data and did some extensive research. For example, looking at periods where a phase change occurred and determining the percentages a storm occurred during a phase change...or a transition period. Or how many storms producing > "x" amount of snow (choosing climate locations for data source) occurred when positive or negative....and just so forth. The list can go and go. All of these results can be used to vastly increase medium/long range forecasting. 

12 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

We don’t need a super storm. But a good ridge near the Davis straits is good For cold and storm tracks. Especially March.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

March 18 showed why NAO helps a lot. When people reference monthly values they fail to acknowledge those dailies where transient neg NAO is in place. Dailies are more important than a monthly average.  It's all about timing. Having blocking and cold air drain and bingo. 

Scoots

Just now, CoastalWx said:

We don’t need a super storm. But a good ridge near the Davis straits is good For cold and storm tracks. Especially March.

Yeah...I'm not disputing Archambault events....we all know they exist. But here's a quick list of larger storms that had no phase change in a -NAO pattern off the top of my head in the past decade or so:

Both March 2018 storms

3/8/13

12/26/10

All the Feb 2010 storms

Both big dogs in Jan 2011 were phase change events....but that month was very negative...briefly going positive just after the storms. That negative baseline was really important though....especially for 1/12/11. I didn't put anything from 2015 on there since we never had a negative NAO....stayed positive.

• Like 1