Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February to Forget Volume 2 - 2020

TalcottWx

3 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

Every year I deliver syrup to a brewery in Charlotte around New Years.  A couple of years ago they were expecting snow.  I think it was forecast to be around 6", maybe more and I thought no problem.  I'm from New England and I can deal with that.  Then I discovered the real issue down there - lack of plows and more importantly, salt.  People would drive around and pack the snow down and before long all the streets and interstates were sheets of ice and you could barely move.  I took the interstate north and at some point climbing up the Blue Ridge the roads were plowed and treated and it was fine north of there.

I think it's a budget balancing act.  Does it make sense to invest in equipment and material you might use once a year or even a decade?  Even here there's equipment that isn't as widely used as places that get more snow more often.

Was just talking about that at work with someone...they don't budget for it...and for precisely the same reasons you said. 

That is an interesting point though about cars packing down the snow...one thing that happens is they get pretty damn cold behind the system for Thursday night and not getting a while heck of a lot above freezing Friday (but the sun is on the stronger side). Icing could be a huge issue come Friday morning 

8 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Looks meh maybe 4 max?

ehhh there might be a strip of higher totals than that. 

I've follow Eric Webb closely on Twitter b/c his long-range/ENSO information is top notch (love his Ensemble ONI Index he createD) and he is pretty aggressive for tomorrow. Think he has 5-9''

12 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Wolfie has said this for months but it has nailed this pattern of Berks NE winter.  If you believe anything post day 4 on an OP and not use Ens I don't know what to say. People saying it blew NC when it hasn't occurred is funny

Even the op for yesterdays up here in the last 8 cycles or so had 5-7" and i ended with 6.5", GFS was like 2.8" for several runs and way to warm as usual, Nam was all over the place and warm too, Never made it past 23°F yesterday.