Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February to Forget Volume 2 - 2020

TalcottWx

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Hence in and up. Need to be inland and up. 

But really this year just in. Greenfield is valley and there’s snow north of Nashua , NH even In lowlands . Even in Seabrook yesterday there was some cover and I then drove up to York before heading back to Boston and BU Just huge latitude winter I guess you could say 10 miles from VT/ NH border on north . 

I crossed over the Tobin yesterday and considered driving off since winter ended Dec 22.

PsCrzHk.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

19 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

ORH +4.1F MTD

PVD +4.6F

BDL +4.6F

BOS +6.2F.    

Things that make you go hmmmm

Was +5.3*  on 2/13, now down to +1.4.  Might be a tiny bit BN after Friday, then the see-saw tilts the other way - expect to finish the month near +2.

*compared to my records that started 5/98.  Farmington co-op's 1981-2010 norms for Feb are about 1.2° colder than their average '99-on, so probably +2.6 there. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

But really this year just in. Greenfield is valley and there’s snow north of Nashua , NH even In lowlands . Even in Seabrook yesterday there was some cover and I then drove up to York before heading back to Boston and BU Just huge latitude winter I guess you could say 10 miles from VT/ NH border on north . 

I crossed over the Tobin yesterday and considered driving off since winter ended Dec 22.

PsCrzHk.jpg

Well yeah Greenfield and southern New Hampshire are definitely in.   Definitely one of the worst stretches if not the worst stretches of winter in our lives. We can’t even get a good cutter. Just boring AF. The crap years are usually mild and dry. That’s what we have. 

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Well yeah Greenfield and southern New Hampshire are definitely in.   Definitely one of the worst stretches if not the worst stretches of winter in our lives. We can’t even get a good cutter. Just boring AF. The crap years are usually mild and dry. That’s what we have. 

If you had told me everyone from ORH south would have 4-6” of snow combined between Jan and Feb , I’d have believed Winterwolf stood a better chance of controlling himself from lecturing everyone on the board than that happening. This has been beyond excruciating 

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

If you had told me everyone from ORH south would have 4-6” of snow combined between Jan and Feb , I’d have believed Winterwolf stood a better chance of controlling himself from lecturing everyone on the board than that happening. This has been beyond excruciating 

The pain inside your soul is real.  You will snap out of it and begin to heal once this shitty spring comes to an end in 3.5 months. Look forward to the dews and red flag warnings of June. 

30 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Really?  

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Panic some more in the panic room. 

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

5-8” OTG in N ORH county. Those marginal 2-4” SWFEs and lack of melting have made it a different world. Honestly reminds me of some of those early 1990s winters...I was in elementary school and frequently we’d have nothing or patches of snow in ORH but then when we’d went up to WaWa for weekly ski club, it was solid 6” pack. 

I feel like that happens a lot in crappy winters. Lol. 

Not sure where you got 5"....maybe 3" of crust, then grass showing in exposed southerly faces.  Maybe in Royalston it's 5". 

• Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

What a euro fail for NC. 

I'm pretty shocked the NWS hasn't issued any advisories or watches down that way. I don't know what local outlets are saying, but I think here are going to be plenty of people who are like WTF. A scenario like the NAM would be a utter disaster down there. 

16 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I'm pretty shocked the NWS hasn't issued any advisories or watches down that way. I don't know what local outlets are saying, but I think here are going to be plenty of people who are like WTF. A scenario like the NAM would be a utter disaster down there. 

They can handle it down there outside of the coastal counties. They're kinda due.

• Weenie 1

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

They can handle it down there outside of the coastal counties. They're kinda due.

I always wonder...what's the line between where these places and handle snow and where all hell breaks lose over a 1/2''. I know Atlanta falls into the later category so are they like that line or is it a bit north of them? 

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I always wonder...what's the line between where these places and handle snow and where all hell breaks lose over a 1/2''. I know Atlanta falls into the later category so are they like that line or is it a bit north of them? 

Every year I deliver syrup to a brewery in Charlotte around New Years.  A couple of years ago they were expecting snow.  I think it was forecast to be around 6", maybe more and I thought no problem.  I'm from New England and I can deal with that.  Then I discovered the real issue down there - lack of plows and more importantly, salt.  People would drive around and pack the snow down and before long all the streets and interstates were sheets of ice and you could barely move.  I took the interstate north and at some point climbing up the Blue Ridge the roads were plowed and treated and it was fine north of there.

I think it's a budget balancing act.  Does it make sense to invest in equipment and material you might use once a year or even a decade?  Even here there's equipment that isn't as widely used as places that get more snow more often.

• Like 1