Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February to Forget Volume 2 - 2020

TalcottWx

3 hours ago, mreaves said:

If there is still snow by the time NH’s free weekend comes, I want to do that from the Lebanon end. 

it’s a very nice trail. have some lunch at the Pizza Chef in Andover. Excellent pizza. It about 40 miles from Lebanon right on the trail.

just be mindful that the fish and game cops like to hang out on that trail because it is flat, straight, and can be fast

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Not sure you looked at radar, but it was shredded by 5-6am. Temps near and below 32. And yet those borderline areas still had 3". It had nothing to do with ratios etc. Nobody expected fluff. But a prolonged event of 0.3"to 0.5" QPF was expected before a flip. The main action stayed closer to the LLJ near the south coast which does happen. Temps were not the issue. Hell I wetbulbed to near 32F from being 38F on the coast south of Boston with snow and sleet. If temps and lift were the issue, we wouldn't have had more snow to the south of the areas progged to get several inches. 

We got screwed by mid-level dryness and despite the entire column below freezing had a pretty decent glaze event up here from supercooled water droplets. 

BTV/MVL/MPV/CDA ASOS’s all reported freezing rain and freezing drizzle along with unknown precipitation in that bust.  

That was one of the more interesting busts that we’d get.  A below freezing column in a west to east moving synoptic system and the ASOSs are showing ZR, while the better lift in SNE is producing snow.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I was trying to think today.  I’m pretty sure , for this area of NE CT.. this is the worst winter(snowfall wise YTD) since a winter in the early 2000’s. Maybe 11-12 is close . Other than that which I’m not sure about.. this has been the worst in close to 20 years. At least from what I can recall. To have 5-6 “ of snow between Dec 20 - Feb 20 is almost impossible to do in the hills . Maybe Metherb has some  data 

What did you have in 15-16?  That was by far our worst winter in past 20+ years.

I feel like even then, SNE was still in that stretch where you’d pull a 12+ event even in a terrible pattern.

11 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

What did you have in 15-16?  That was by far our worst winter in past 20+ years.

I feel like even then, SNE was still in that stretch where you’d pull a 12+ event even in a terrible pattern.

15-16 was worse here that 2011-2012, but basically due to the Rocktober storm.  

2 hours ago, jbenedet said:

Not an airmass issue the one time —all season— it fits *your* narrative. Airmass issues are the theme of the season, but you will disregard that now...Tell me how *little* snow SNE received from this event, and then we’ll pretend like SNH snowfall amounts weren’t at all adversely impacted by what happened down there. :rolleyes:

ORH hit 35 F on 2/13 also btw, as did ASH and PSM. :thumbsup:

What narrative.  I was never in the game but pretty much nailed the southern extent and the best frontogenic forcing 

3 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I was trying to think today.  I’m pretty sure , for this area of NE CT.. this is the worst winter(snowfall wise YTD) since a winter in the early 2000’s. Maybe 11-12 is close . Other than that which I’m not sure about.. this has been the worst in close to 20 years. At least from what I can recall. To have 5-6 “ of snow between Dec 20 - Feb 20 is almost impossible to do in the hills . Maybe Metherb has some  data 

If we're only looking at the 12/20-2/20 period (which we haven't reached yet) and the past 20 years, this year's 7.8" is the lowest.  2012 had 9.7" and 2002 had 9.0" of snow during that period.  However, it's not the lowest I have during that period.  That record goes to winter 1989 with only 4.7" of the snow.  I don't have any records before winter 1986 but that's what the data says.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

If we're only looking at the 12/20-2/20 period (which we haven't reached yet) and the past 20 years, this year's 7.8" is the lowest.  2012 had 9.7" and 2002 had 9.0" of snow during that period.  However, it's not the lowest I have during that period.  That record goes to winter 1989 with only 4.7" of the snow.  I don't have any records before winter 1986 but that's what the data says.

6 here this year, 2.5 in 1989 and 4.5 in 2007, between those dates

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SJonesWX said:

it’s a very nice trail. have some lunch at the Pizza Chef in Andover. Excellent pizza. It about 40 miles from Lebanon right on the trail.

just be mindful that the fish and game cops like to hang out on that trail because it is flat, straight, and can be fast

We haven't gone to NH for a number of years because of the insane amount of the fish and game cops. It gets ridiculous when you get stopped several times a day for registration checks etc. Its maddening after a while!! No such issue in VT and Maine 

42 minutes ago, UnitedWx said:

We haven't gone to NH for a number of years because of the insane amount of the fish and game cops. It gets ridiculous when you get stopped several times a day for registration checks etc. Its maddening after a while!! No such issue in VT and Maine 

Free weekend in NH is March 6, 7 & 8. NY is the next weekend. 

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

How has this winter been generally in northern VT?

Since this is my first winter in New England (not a good first, lol), I don't have much point of reference.

20 minutes ago, Fozz said:

How has this winter been generally in northern VT?

Since this is my first winter in New England (not a good first, lol), I don't have much point of reference.

Very warm. Not overly snowy but not the worst. In the lower half but not the bottom quarter. The gradient seems to cut right through this area but these are just personal observations and not rooted in anything formal. The best obs by far for northern VT are done by JSpin, who I believe teaches at UVM. Data is his thing and he does an outstanding job analyzing it. 

1 hour ago, UnitedWx said:

Yeah they are everywhere......makes me wish i rode back in 1985

• Like 1

6 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Almost all their snow fell before New Years . They began the year cranking in November/December 

looks like an all time least snowy period from New Years to now . At the 10K summit at mammoth ...13” Freaking inches and NONE this month . That is unheard of 

They did 200” plus in February alone last year 

Yes, February has been the absolute worst month with not a drop of nothin'  all month. And on top of that,  we've also had several  dry wind events ( Santa Anna!) this month which is drying the plant life right down to their roots, so this potentially makes fire season start earlier. 

What weather enthusiasts hope and pray for with all their hearts around here are "Atmospheric River" events...basically a sub-tropical weather system off the Pacific that brings feet of snow to places like the Sierra Mtns and Mammoth mountains.  

Anyhow, hopefully things improve  in March which isn't hard to do considering how bad it's been this month. 

6 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I think So Cal is actually doing ok precip wise? The flow has been such where Nrn CA is screwed, but srn CA has done ok. 

Yes SoCal did very well in late November and December and got way ahead of their average early and have had other s/ws that we've missed out on so they are better off than us here in N. Cal this year. 

7 hours ago, MetHerb said:

That’s what I figured. There’s a reason why BOS south crowd has been frustrated. This one is going down as the worst. It’s probably the same for ORH as well.

• Confused 1

For me personally, it looks strange. The EPO is sort of cut off at AK with some lower heights hanging around there, on the EPS. However, you have NW flow into the US dumping colder air. I don’t have a good feel for this, but there isn’t really anything that sticks out as exciting for me anyways.   It doesn’t mean something can’t happen....but nothing stands out.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

For me personally, it looks strange. The EPO is sort of cut off at AK with some lower heights hanging around there, on the EPS. However, you have NW flow into the US dumping colder air. I don’t have a good feel for this, but there isn’t really anything that sticks out as exciting for me anyways.   It doesn’t mean something can’t happen....but nothing stands out.

It’s more false flags, nothing more than that