• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February to Forget Volume 2 - 2020

TalcottWx

I still like the look post-2/25. Ridge further east than those -EPO/-PNA patterns we’ve seen. All the ensembles have it...obviously whether it comes to fruition is another story....and of course, even if it does, nobody will care unless they get snow in their backyard out of it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MJO812 said:

Caribou is the place to see if you love snow

They get plenty, but the western mountains (Rangeley, Jackman) get a bit more.  So does Fort Kent though the co-op there would indicate otherwise.  The 9 full winters we lived there my average ran 12-15" more than CAR and 20-30 more than Fort Kent co-op.  (that co-op is a one-a-day site, 7 AM, and sometimes I think they would merely look at the snow stake and record any increase as what new snow had fallen.)

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah winds never went calm either. Strange.

MHT never reacts like that even in calm conditions anyway. They’re almost always fairly steady with gradual rises and drops even when they decouple. After that quick 12° drop it reports missing temp data and then the next 5 minuter is back to the correct +5°. Looks like the low should be +3° so nothing close to -7°. When I lived in Auburn there was never a rad night where they were colder than me...it was never even close. The cwop Auburn stations were 0, -1, and -3. I was near Massabesic Lake and we often got lower than CON. Total pit there.

9 minutes ago, dendrite said:

The Masardis -36 was the coldest I could find on mesowest. Maybe there’s some coop in the hydro obs up in mooseville that was colder.

I missed that one.  -30s being handed out like candy up there..lol

Not that it matters but I also saw a -40 just north of the border in Quebec at Causapscal Airport in the Gaspe.

16 minutes ago, dendrite said:

MHT never reacts like that even in calm conditions anyway. They’re almost always fairly steady with gradual rises and drops even when they decouple. After that quick 12° drop it reports missing temp data and then the next 5 minuter is back to the correct +5°. Looks like the low should be +3° so nothing close to -7°. When I lived in Auburn there was never a rad night where they were colder than me...it was never even close. The cwop Auburn stations were 0, -1, and -3. I was near Massabesic Lake and we often got lower than CON. Total pit there.

Yeah the data you posted looks strange. I just saw the 12z low and was scratching my head, but didn't really look. Tossed. 

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

NVT NNH NME 18 to 24 OTG temps -20 and below. Where winter thrives as it should be

I can say that there is much more than 24 inches on the ground in N. ME at the moment.  Place is buried. I was there a week ago, and They got 18-20 a week ago today alone.  So they are buried and loving it!  Probably 40 plus up there currently. And Frigid last weekend, and now this weekend too.  

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, dryslot said:

That's a cold 12z Nam run for Tues night- Weds, But comes with the usual caveats at hr 84.

The look on the map I see (WPC) has consistently shown good high pressure to our nw and then n for Mon-Tues.  2 days ago it looked bad (less high pressure) for 1 cycle but the high returned next cycle and it would seem this set up would trend a bit colder, with some sort of coastal reflection or something?  The other day trended south at the last minute and we and you got screwed...but this is entirely different set up.

1 hour ago, WinterWolf said:

I can say that there is much more than 24 inches on the ground in N. ME at the moment.  Place is buried. I was there a week ago, and They got 18-20 a week ago today alone.  So they are buried and loving it!  Probably 40 plus up there currently. And Frigid last weekend, and now this weekend too.  

Deepest on cocorahs this morning was 32" at New Sweden, but I'm confident that the hills adjacent to the St. John Valley hold 40+.

How so?  You cross the border of northern Maine and you're in the Gaspe region of Quebec.  Either way it north of the border and out of the U.S. Not sure why you're splitting hairs.

Haven't quizzed any Quebecois on where they consider Gaspe to begin, but to me it's northeast of Riviere-du-Loup, 100 miles or so beyond Maine.  (which might still be splitting hairs.)  Certainly any place in the St. John watershed would not be Gaspe.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

They get plenty, but the western mountains (Rangeley, Jackman) get a bit more.  So does Fort Kent though the co-op there would indicate otherwise.  The 9 full winters we lived there my average ran 12-15" more than CAR and 20-30 more than Fort Kent co-op.  (that co-op is a one-a-day site, 7 AM, and sometimes I think they would merely look at the snow stake and record any increase as what new snow had fallen.)

I usually toss coop snowfall if I notice frequently that their daily snowfall is simply the depth increase from the day before. That tells me they probably aren’t even using a clear snow board even if they’re measuring only once per day.