Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February to Forget Volume 2 - 2020

TalcottWx

2 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Going up to N Conway this weekend and 2 weeks ago I thought for sure they would have a good base by now.  Nope.  

Greenfield looks like it has as much snow on the ground as North Conway. 

I have come to the conclusion that its just not going to pan out in my area here and am just going NW the remainder of this winter, Plenty of snow up here in those areas.

4 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Going up to N Conway this weekend and 2 weeks ago I thought for sure they would have a good base by now.  Nope.  

Greenfield looks like it has as much snow on the ground as North Conway. 

I just left North Coway. Its below normal for sure, but they have maybe 8-12" around the outlets. So it atleast looks like winter. Theres a pretty deep pack up toward Jackson

16 minutes ago, dryslot said:

And there has been a few that didn't need much this winter and we couldn't get the "much" that was needed.

Well as you know it happens.  Wish I was skiing again as Sunday River and Sugarloaf look great heading into March. As you know March can be stupendous up there even in the crappiest winters. No one knows what March will hold,no one.

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Interesting stat about Central Mass only  having 2 days without snow cover. We have been through worse winters in our lives, it happens 

We’ve had pack here since 12/17. 20” in Jan too. So yeah, it hasn’t been that bad. Just nothing extreme. 

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Interesting stat about Central Mass only  having 2 days without snow cover. We have been through worse winters in our lives, it happens 

man, you are trying hard to keep this thread alive lol..

jk. actually might be the worst in my life since moving to Mass.. btw this is the warmest winter on record so far in Boston.

21 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I have come to the conclusion that its just not going to pan out in my area here and am just going NW the remainder of this winter, Plenty of snow up here in those areas.

And North is really Loaded up.   When it doesn't snow at home....you just go and find it and it's fine.  Wish we could grab something before winter passes into history, but maybe this is the Ratter we've been dreading(since 2012).   Like Ginxy said, "it happens."

8 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

And North is really Loaded up.   When it doesn't snow at home....you just go and find it and it's fine.  Wish we could grab something before winter passes into history, but maybe this is the Ratter we've been dreading(since 2012).   Like Ginxy said, "it happens."

At least here, 15/16 was a lot worse.  And last year was no (snowy) picnic either.  We're .75" shy of that, granted that 60% it fell in 24hrs.  But most don't consider big storms a penalty on the overall 'feel' and coverage days have been better than most winters ironically. 

• Like 1

Just now, radarman said:

At least here, 15/16 was a lot worse.  And last year was no (snowy) picnic either.  We're .75" shy of that, granted that 60% it fell in 24hrs.  But most don't consider big storms a penalty on the overall 'feel' and coverage days have been better than most winters ironically. 

Same  15/16 was worse    

1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Gfs has that trash Tuesday event as the last event  of the month (with say .25 QPF ) mercifully . 

Then on to Morch. This has been an abomination and ya maybe we see a bowling ball in March , but I’ll take the milder morch temps .

So the monster storm it had at the end of the month is gone?  I'm shocked, shocked I say!

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, Bostonseminole said:

i guess I have a short memory, don't remember much of that one.

It was a Ratter for sure.  But it did have the Octo-Bomb that was really something, and it did have one Warning event in January where I picked up about 6-7".   I finished 2012 with about 17-18" that year; and that's where I am at currently for this year.  So if no more snow falls, this winter will be as bad as 2012 with regard to snow, but 2012 had a Warning event for my area..where this year so far has not. 

This winter has not had a Warning event for a lot of folks-we missed out on the big snow in Early December for the most part.  

37 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

I just left North Coway. Its below normal for sure, but they have maybe 8-12" around the outlets. So it atleast looks like winter. Theres a pretty deep pack up toward Jackson

Great, good to know!  I’m not worried about the ski conditions just hoping to do some sledding with the kiddos. 

28 minutes ago, dendrite said:

10-11” at my place so it’s pretty consistent through the foothills. 

16" at our stake.  That's 4" BN for the date, logical as snowfall is 8" BN.  However, we never lost all the snow following the 4" on Nov. 11-12 so barring a repeat of March 2012 (or 2010) it will another season for high-end snow cover duration.  SDDs - that's a very different story.

1 minute ago, White Rain said:

When you think of retention to me its not really about snow cover days, even here we have had a useless amount of snow/ice on the ground most of the winter days really.

Its about what has fallen vs what has been retained. The warmth/rain has quickly dwindled pack after every major event. We haven’t sustained a 6”+ pack for any length of time this season and that is unusual. 

Yeah I was thinking how basically the northern half of ORH county is doing pretty decent for snow cover days but annual snowfall could end up below average and snow depth days well below average. Uusually I would think "that's due to a cold and dry winter"....but it's been warm and dry since mid-December.

• Like 1