• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February to Forget Volume 2 - 2020

TalcottWx

it's been a rough few months, and we all need to find a little joy here and there. Tensions are really high in this place, with yesterdays blowout and now today's very prejudice and perhaps insulting non wx-related comments. Hopefully the next few weeks provide just what we need- an extended stretch of mild days with warm sun. Everyone will feel recharged and ready to take on 7-8 months of temp and dew talk.

• Confused 3
  • Weenie 1

6 minutes ago, Dr. Dews said:

it's been a rough few months, and we all need to find a little joy here and there. Tensions are really high in this place, with yesterdays blowout and now today's very prejudice and perhaps insulting non wx-related comments. Hopefully the next few weeks provide just what we need- an extended stretch of mild days with warm sun. Everyone will feel recharged and ready to take on 7-8 months of temp and dew talk.

Most us were hoping you were going to go on another self imposed exile.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Dr. Dews said:

8 months of dew tells, do we live In the deep South? 

1 hour ago, Dr. Dews said:

What's the plan for Friday and Saturday, huddle indoors and troll folks that like the cold?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, MetHerb said:

I blocked the guy and it makes reading a lot better.  The only time I see his comments are when someone quotes them and I realize I'm not missing anything.

Yea. I’ve asked the mods if next server/system update can feature a full block but the current ignore feature is better than nothing...surprised more aren’t using it.

28 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Crazy. The most putrid near normal season in recorded history for BDL lol. I’m not that far from you and I’m at 15” for the year.

Well it's near normal/normal up to now....but as of today and forward we are going to be dropping below normal really quickly now.  There's still almost 6 weeks left to Astronomical winter believe it or not(seems hard to believe)...so lots of time to go Way Below Normal Snowfall if it doesn't snow again through March 21st.  Or get a big ending and pull out Normal snow for the season?

I think a lot of us forget what a normal or slightly below normal season really feels like. We’ve been spoiled a lot the last 2 decades. Yeah, we know we’ve been lucky and that we’re due for regression, but it doesn’t make it any easier when you’re actually living through one of the down years...especially if it’s more down than usual. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I think a lot of us forget what a normal or slightly below normal season really feels like. We’ve been spoiled a lot the last 2 decades. Yeah, we know we’ve been lucky and that we’re due for regression, but it doesn’t make it any easier when you’re actually living through one of the down years...especially if it’s more down than usual. 

Not to be a prig but based on what ... outmoded climate norms?    Good luck..

When the CC isn't just changing it is by all present observation 'accelerating' in doing so,.. oops

The gist of your point is clad though - I get it

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I don't know about other people my age but I think it helped me growing up with crappy winters.  It was pretty much the norm with the exception of a few storms/years and so I've just come to take what I get.  I've told the story before of how in the December 1992 blizzard I had 3" but literally a few miles down the road there was over a foot.  I think some posters heads would explode if that happened to them today.  It's just not mathematically possible to constantly have above normal years.

At least we still have a few months left where chances could pop up...:D

13 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Not to be a prig but based on what ... outmoded climate norms?    Good luck..

When the CC isn't just changing it is by all present observation 'accelerating' in doing so,.. oops

The gist of your point is clad though - I get it

Meh. I’m like 10”+ above my normal snowfall over the last 15 years. CC isn’t accounting for that much already. 

My thing is that people always say, "oh I don't care about pack"....and..."deep cold does nothing for me".....but this is the perfect case where it has, because we had a big storm and are near normal but people still complain, which means everyone is in fact a pack person and an ACATT (in the winter) person, but won't admit it.  Honestly if we had some sustained cold with the amount of snow we've had everyone would be happy. 

12 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Meh. I’m like 10”+ above my normal snowfall over the last 15 years. CC isn’t accounting for that much already. 

There is even a case to be made that CC has upped the annual snowfall averages over New England. We can debate at what point that starts turning the other direction, but the empirical evidence is pretty clear that we're currently near a climo peak in the historical record of snowfall whether one uses decadal or rolling 30 year averages. I think personally it's mostly natural variation, but hard to prove attribution.

Here's ORH snowfall both 15 year and 30 year rolling averages just to make the point:

ORHsnow_15year.png

ORHsnow_30year.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

There is even a case to be made that CC has upped the annual snowfall averages over New England. We can debate at what point that starts turning the other direction, but the empirical evidence is pretty clear that we're currently near a climo peak in the historical record of snowfall whether one uses decadal or rolling 30 year averages. I think personally it's mostly natural variation, but hard to prove attribution.

Here's ORH snowfall both 15 year and 30 year rolling averages just to make the point:

ORHsnow_15year.png

ORHsnow_30year.png

Well I think that’s the point we’re making. CC may be giving us snowier winters. My regression comment triggered John a bit, but I think we can still have snowier winters than previous decades and still have room for regression back down.

• Like 1