SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February to Forget Volume 2 - 2020

TalcottWx

11 minutes ago, dendrite said:

It's like a friggin funeral in here.

Nothing interesting to track. 

Maybe the day 9-10 euro will produce something. Too bad the d4-5 threat literally has the worst possibly placed low sandwiched between two highs up north because that one could’ve been a legit juiced SWfE. Only in this winter a positively tilted trough produces that. 

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Nothing interesting to track. 

Maybe the day 9-10 euro will produce something. Too bad the d4-5 threat literally has the worst possibly placed low sandwiched between two highs up north because that one could’ve been a legit juiced SWfE. Only in this winter a positively tilted trough produces that. 

Yeah it's been rough down there. That late week deal is a net gain here on the GFS and EC.

10 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Someone always said when you don’t see posts from will and a few others, time to pack it in.

I still think that Thursday deal could snow. But man, that’s an awful overall look the next few weeks 

It’s a crap look. I usually try to stay positive, but I’m only fooling myself if I continue that. Poop Pacific and anti-blocking continue. 

• Like 1

Just now, CoastalWx said:

It’s a crap look. I usually try to stay positive, but I’m only fooling myself if I continue that. Poop Pacific and anti-blocking continue. 

Yeah, it is what it is. Everyone can hug their near normal snow totals all they want, but 75% of that came 2 and a half months ago. This winter has blown 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

I def. don't consider you as positive...cut from the pickles, HubbDave cloth of perpetually waiting for the other shoe to drop.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Yeah, it is what it is. Everyone can hug their near normal snow totals all they want, but 75% of that came 2 and a half months ago. This winter has blown 

Not up here. I was grazed by that. But I get it...it sucks for the vast majority here.

3 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

It is what it is...all snow is counted towards the seasonal total. Its been subpar in the aggregate, but this winter has not been in the same league as 2002 and 2012 for me.

3 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Just calc’d it out. 73% on mine fell thru mid December.  Only 6” since December 18th.  And nothing on the horizon for another 5 min.

3 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Just calc’d it out. 73% on mine fell thru mid December.  Only 6” since December 18th.  And nothing on the horizon for another 5 min.

I'll bet more seasons than you think have a large porportion of seasonal snowfall within a relatively condensed window of time when you average 40" of snow....Dec 2007, March 2018...hell, even the epic 2015. Diff. is its been very warm, but I think we need to let this play out.

2 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

14.0" (31%) here after the 12/17-18 event. 31.2" since. Pack since 12/17. We winter. Although I'd prefer your weather.

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

It is what it is...all snow is counted towards the seasonal total. Its been subpar in the aggregate, but this winter has not been in the same league as 2002 and 2012 for me.

Agree it’s def been better than those two. Largely on the back of December. I had snow cover for 27 out of 31 days in December....plus over 2 feet of cumulative snow that month including a top 5 December storm historically.Temps near normal. Felt like winter and during the festive time of year. (And I get that the coast didn’t have it that great either...so their perception will be a little different) 

We never had a stretch like that in ‘01-‘02 or ‘11-‘12.....but this past 7 weeks has been about as bad as it gets. January was really boring with very few storms and mild temps and February has been a near miss on 2/1 and a slop storm a couple days ago...with a lousy pattern progged the next two weeks. Hopefully something breaks right to change the tenure of the season. 

Would be nice to track a higher end threat rather than disorganized SWFEs with dryslots covering 75% of the forum. We can’t even do those right this year.  

14 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I def. don't consider you as positive...cut from the pickles, HubbDave cloth of perpetually waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I keep it real too. If it sucks it sucks. Other than early December, this is as brutal as it gets. It’s been a torch, very little to track, and every event that has been on the models within a week or so has trended to crap. Shit winter. And it continues to rhea on our heads going forward. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, CoastalWx said:

I keep it real too. If it sucks it sucks. Other than early December, this is as brutal as it gets. It’s been a torch, very little to track, and every event that has been on the models within a week or so has trended to crap. Shit winter. And it continues to rhea on our heads going forward. 

There is no point of making long range forecasts anymore. It's a crapshoot. 2 winters in a row where those forecasts busted .

Short term forecasting is the way to go.

1 minute ago, MJO812 said:

There is no point of making long range forecasts anymore. It's a crapshoot. 2 winters in a row where those forecasts busted .

We’ve been over this before. There is skill. But this is the 3rd year in a row of -PNA I think, for a good part of winter. Making up for lost ground when it was ridging out west for years. Regression is a bitch. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

If we get hardly anymore snow, then that will def. put a dent in my outlook, but I'm happy with my effort. Its been warmer than I had expected, but point me in the direction of the individual that explicitly called for +7 departures from 12-20 through 2-8...tough to predict that magnitude of anomaly at 3 months lead. I did explicitly state that mid winter would blow beginning just before the holidays, and that winter's return would be contingent upon the arctic and Atlantic because the PAC would remain hostile. Arctic and Atlantic haven't helped, so we continue to bake and boring.

• Like 4

I’m within 5” of last years total for the entire season.  Snowcover since Dec 1 other than 2 days.   Boring since Dec 3 although the thunder sleet at the end of Dec was great.  
The morbid posts from a few people are a bit over the top but I get it if you enjoy snow and tracking storms. 

In a few weeks the misery of a crappy winter will be done and we can all enjoy a miserable New England spring with backdoors mud and black flies.    

Drink deeply my friends!

• Like 3

Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

I’m within 5” of last years total for the entire season.  Snowcover since Dec 1 other than 2 days.   Boring since Dec 3 although the thunder sleet at the end of Dec was great.  
The morbid posts from a few people are a bit over the top but I get it if you enjoy snow and tracking storms. 

In a few weeks the misery of a crappy winter will be done and we can all enjoy a miserable New England spring with backdoors mud and black flies.    

Drink deeply my friends!

Yeah...this part definitely always makes me laugh every year when folks claim they are looking forward to spring. Maybe they mean Mother’s Day and beyond, lol. 

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

We’ve been over this before. There is skill. But this is the 3rd year in a row of -PNA I think, for a good part of winter. Making up for lost ground when it was ridging out west for years. Regression is a bitch. 

Yes. Very fair post. I missed the RNA last year, but nailed it this season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

We were told last night it won't snow in CT. About as a short term failure as it gets. Like 3 hours. These Debbie's make these broad sweeping posts, meh. Day by day here while they look at 5 day chunks.  Watching this week 

As frustrating as it has been, long ways to go still. No reason to invest in any threat until it’s close even if the pattern sucks...but that doesn’t mean it’s over. We’ve had some big events pop in bad patterns and bad winters. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

It is why I don’t rank yearly snow totals high on my winter board. It can heavily skew what the winter truly is/was.

5 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

As frustrating as it has been, long ways to go still. No reason to invest in any threat until it’s close even if the pattern sucks...but that doesn’t mean it’s over. We’ve had some big events pop in bad patterns and bad winters. 

Yup... we’ve had big storms pop in really awful looks. It can happen. Saying it won’t on Feb 9th is silly... we still have at least 6 weeks where something could pop up.

• Like 2

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

It is why I don’t rank yearly snow totals high on my winter board. It can heavily skew what the winter truly is/was.

It is just a piece of it.   I’m thinking most on here rank storms ahead of totals.  Snow depth maybe?  Days with pack?  Cold?

The lack of cold really has stood out.  

39 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Mother Nature pointing at all of SNE

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eqBR8knRM2w

Ok. So, from this point on, you are no longer able to post on anything regarding snow chances. You are done. You said it was over, so, you do not get to partake in any snow chances that will arise between now and the end of March. Anyone else agree?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 2