Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
February Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

28 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Long range looks like crap. About the only thing I see is around day 10 or so if we can get a system in quickly enough before the 500's/trough pull out of the NE allowing ridging to take over. EPS is probably the friendliest look at this time for that possibility.

:yikes:

1583625600-P3f77elYtbw.png

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

At least the GFS op has teased with a potential hail mary event on recent runs. Yesterday it looked like maybe around the 5th. The 6z run now has one on the 9th. Clipper incoming at hour 384!

Yeah, I almost posted this one yesterday from the 18Z yesterday. I would give the winter a solid C if we had this verify over the next 2 weeks. But it won't and I won't. 

ensemble.gif.ee965abd0b9258260dc17941f8f6166b.gif

1 hour ago, CentralVaNATS said:

Much better. At least it gave you guys something to talk about besides the next 10 days when the pattern fails to materialize, again. Move on to spring

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Good. Obviously the rest of us were put on this earth just to make you feel better...so that’s all that matters. 

• Haha 1

I'm also really curious what driving force the seasonal dynamic models were seeing to make their +AO/NAO predictions.  

On a larger note, a few years ago I saw some speculation that AGW would lead to a weaker polar jet thus more -NAO/AO episodes.  The idea was that the strength of the polar jet is strongly affected by the latitudinal temperature gradient.  As that gradient goes down with polar warming, the mean strength of the polar jet would also go down.  It made sense to me.  But obviously it didn't work out that way this year.  Perhaps there is another forcing which is overwhelming it (maritime continent warm pool perhaps) or maybe it was just pure random chance.  But the fact that the seasonal models picked up on it implies there is a non-random forcing element involved.

34 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

I'm also really curious what driving force the seasonal dynamic models were seeing to make their +AO/NAO predictions.  

On a larger note, a few years ago I saw some speculation that AGW would lead to a weaker polar jet thus more -NAO/AO episodes.  The idea was that the strength of the polar jet is strongly affected by the latitudinal temperature gradient.  As that gradient goes down with polar warming, the mean strength of the polar jet would also go down.  It made sense to me.  But obviously it didn't work out that way this year.  Perhaps there is another forcing which is overwhelming it (maritime continent warm pool perhaps) or maybe it was just pure random chance.  But the fact that the seasonal models picked up on it implies there is a non-random forcing element involved.

There is a correlation between tropical forcing, glamm, gwo and the high latitudes. So my guess is they correctly saw those hostile base states. Even ignoring the angular momentum stuff had you shown me the plot of what the mjo was going to do from Xmas to March back in the fall I would have predicted a dumpster fire then instead of waiting until late December to realize we were fooked. 

Just got around to checking last night's EPS.  New seasonal low for snow fall mean of 0.2" for College Park.  I suspect the low values may have more to do with March climatology than any worsening in our already dire outlook. 

Maryland had a home baseball game yesterday afternoon.  Getting close to give up time for us snow lovers. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic