Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

1 hour ago, C.A.P.E. said:

A +NAO and a 50/50 high with an amplified upper trough to our west is a disaster. Anyone want to explain to me how this look is full of potential? How could it possibly track underneath?

Unless/until I see lower heights showing up off the Canadian maritimes on approach, this is a goner. It's on to March. Except both the GEFS and the EPS now have a western US trough and a SE ridge lol. What I meant to say was..it's on to Spring.

gfs_z500a_namer_24.png

We basically wasted our last chance for snow here to the south today if that's the case.. anyways, I'm looking forward to warm temps.

• Sad 1

55 minutes ago, Ji said:

Carolinas got snow with a severe positive ao and nao

Why know so little lol

I am assuming you meant "We know so little"?  I think we know quite a bit.  We know that snow is extremely hard to come by in a pattern like this, but obviously not impossible.  My area just got lucky today, that is all.  I feel grateful and a bit refreshed.  Still looking forward to next year (unless its a nina).

Man if I was single...I'd be living in fort kent.. can you imagine a place where cutters can give you snow lol
My Dad has a cabin just outside Fort Kent...its amazing if you love snow and winter. I believe he's on his third or fourth roof snow removal already.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, showmethesnow said:

What do you mean NAM range? We haven't even gotten anything into the range where the op runs of the Globals become somewhat useful.

Now to be fair, I think we may have gotten into CFS range a time or two back in late December or early January.  But otherwise, yeah, not so much!! :lol:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Why are you guys torturing yourself with these snow maps? I mean, mercy...a snow map240 hrs out? What in the world does that even mean in any kind of season--let alone one like this one? Lol

No torturing going on here. I made my piece with this awful winter weeks ago. It is what it is and we probably are done till December.  Sure we could fluke into something but chances are low. It was the south easts turn to get the fluke.

I just thought the map was funny. North south east and west of us gets snow and our small area gets zippo.

The follow up wave next week is close to dead. The problem is the lead wave misses the phase with the NS. The NS wave slides by to the north ahead of it and leaves it behind. Without that phase the lead wave sits, weakens, and dies without pulling cold in behind it so the next wave will amplify to our west and north where the boundary will be. 

That change is only 3-4 days out so the fact all guidance went that way makes it very reliable imo. Even if the storm we were watching is still 5-6 days out the dominoes that will determine its fate start falling the wrong way at only day 3 now. 

10 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Hey....that's a dusting here :). Don't worry ...it will snow again...that's all that you have to know . If a weather hobby is torture then .....maby...well you get the idea . 

Yeah this is just an extreme case of a locked in bad MA snow pattern.  We were just unlucky.  It will snow again someday. 

14 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Yawn. This h5 look is as bad as we have seen all winter.

Lets just hope we don't get our seasonal flip to a -NAO until June, where the only damage it can do is make things warmer.

1583539200-iHz61RnKm14.png

Stick a fork in this winter. The pig to the north keeps restrengthing. 

50 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

awn. This h5 look is as bad as we have seen all winter.

Lets just hope we don't get our seasonal flip to a -NAO until June, where the only damage it can do is make things warmer.

Are you surprised ?

What you posted goes along nicely with this graph below. The message from following the AO this season along with the overall NAM state has never been to expect any real significant snow threats.   Combine that with the winter's  positive NAO and a negative PNA for months you get more assurance that snow is a no go.  

Maybe if we ramp up the Atlantic SSTs off the Jersey and VA coasts to 83 to 85 degrees F. by late August we get a real cat 5 opportunity this season to a very high latitude. 

Also, last year in late August, I believe, we achieved a very deep -NAO and it contributed to a very cool air mass for the time of year. So a -NAO in June , July and early August would not be a cool factor for our area but if the NAO goes deep enough in later August we can get a cooler air mass to invade the area.  I recall ,as bluewave posted about it, talking about that very anomalous -NAO event.  I also believe it occurred towards the end of the long lasting record - NAO cycle that lasted for weeks on end.   Now we have gone the other way with the NAO. 

ao.sprd2.gif

1 minute ago, frd said:

Are you surprised ?

What you posted goes along nicely with this graph below. The message from following the AO this season along with the overall NAM state has never been to expect any real significant snow threats.   Combine that with the winter's  positive NAO and a negative PNA for months you get more assurance that snow is a no go.  

Maybe if we ramp up the Atlantic SSTs off the Jersey and VA coasts to 83 to 85 degrees F. by late August we get a real cat 5 opportunity this season to a very high latitude. 

Also, last year in late August, I believe, we achieved a very deep -NAO and it contributed to a very cool air mass for the time of year. So a -NAO in June , July and early August would not be a cool factor for our area but if the NAO goes deep enough in later August we can get a cooler air mass to invade the area.  I recall ,as bluewave posted about it, talking about that very anomalous -NAO event.  I also believe it occurred towards the end of the long lasting record - NAO cycle that lasted for weeks on end.   Now we have gone the other way with the NAO. 

Not at all. All guidance has been heading this way for days now. I don't think anyone here is surprised. I just think its fitting if it ends this way. There was really never any tangible reason to believe the pattern would be notably different going forward, outside of shorter wavelengths.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic