Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

Just now, Maestrobjwa said:

I wasn't trying to...was just asking hypothetically if we were to see something like that, would it be a good thing or a bad thing--not whether it would actually happening or not. I see the snark game is high today...lol

I really wouldn't want to extrapolate it because it is to close to call IMO. Probably just enough to know that it did show a possibility. Might very well be a mute point because I have my doubts we see that SW eject so quickly anyway.

18 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

I really wouldn't want to extrapolate it because it is to close to call IMO. Probably just enough to know that it did show a possibility. Might very well be a mute point because I have my doubts we see that SW eject so quickly anyway.

I see. Now what was it that last night's EURO did?

4 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

I see. Now what was it last night's EURO did?

First I really looked at the Euro besides some cursory glances. Normally don't dig deep on op runs at range. But yeah the Euro does eject it quicker as well but its evolution afterwards is different. It drives the energy into the deep south and initially shears the hell out of it before it is resurrected once again. Really, about the only thing I am keying on at this point is seeing the models throwing out the blocking over top and sprinkling closed lows throughout their runs. Not going to worry about details until we can get this period of time somewhat in range.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

well yea...because with such a positive AO and progressive flow... to get cold in here we are likely in the suppressive flow behind a wave and that would act to discourage a STJ wave from ejecting.  Once the next wave does come...the return flow ahead of it is likely to warm us up long before it arrives.  We need a change in the longwave pattern to offer resistance to the natural attempt at ridging ahead of any healthy wave.  Guidance is hinting maybe we get that change in the long range though.  

That's why I said it had the right idea lol. I am not expecting some perfectly timed wave to deliver,  just as the NS is in the process of lifting out. I mean, it's not impossible, and we have seen some recent runs suggest it, although the likelihood of it being weak and or suppressed would be high. Until there is something notably different with the pattern, I would expect the same results. Hopefully we see some of those changes right around the end of the month.

Just now, C.A.P.E. said:

That's why I said it had the right idea lol. I am not expecting some perfectly timed wave to deliver,  just as the NS is in the process of lifting out. I mean, it's not impossible, and we have seen some recent runs suggest it, although the likelihood of it being weak and or suppressed would be high. Until there is something notably different with the pattern, I would expect the same results. Hopefully we see some of those changes right around the end of the month.

yea I am more interested in the longwave pattern change on guidance than any specific threat ATT

12 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

This is probably the period to watch.

gfs_z500a_namer_60.png

At the range we are looking at all i care about is seeing the idea of the jet cutting under the ridging in Canada progressing forward in time.  If we do end up getting that look...especially in late Feb and March that is a decent pattern and we would have some threats to track.  Then we would need to just get lucky with the specifics.  So far that idea is moving closer in time and the mjo progression kind of supports.  No rug pull yet.  But it is still outside the credible range for another few days.  All we can do is watch and hope no signs of collapse show up.  This is likely our last shot to get a meaningful better look this season before it really is too late to do us much good.  At least for most in this region.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I will continue the positive vibes by pointing out the day 8 and 11 h5 analogs today contain quite a few February periods that lead to snowfall here either in Late Feb or March.  

What late Feb snows (that is, after the 22nd or so) has this look led to in the past? Couldn't have been any in the corridor...I don't know of any that were above an inch or two. That's why I always write off the last 5-7 days of Feb every year because it's pretty much a null-zone historically.) Now I know the first week of March probably has some hits in there...

2 minutes ago, Ji said:

this is my 10th time this winter waiting for day 10

I'd much rather have something to track 10 days out, than to have to wait 10 days just to have a chance at tracking something ANOTHER 10 days out from there. Mercy...I'd much rather something come from THIS Day 8-11. (And as I stated above, my own historical bias for not believing in end of February snow)

1 minute ago, Maestrobjwa said:

I'd much rather have something to track 10 days out, than to have to wait 10 days just to have a chance at tracking something ANOTHER 10 days out from there. Mercy...I'd much rather something come from THIS Day 8-11. (And as I stated above, my own historical bias for not believing in end of February snow)

Well, I can totally get that, when looking at what appear to be "dead zones" of snow events in the climatological record.  It's an interesting phenomenon, not sure how much of that is "luck".

Then again, we supposedly had no real events the middle 2 weeks of January either, historically speaking.  Then 2016 happened...

(ETA:  I seem to recall some end of February events, even in the metro DC/Balt regions.  Feb. 25, 2007...a 5-6" pasting that originally was supposed to be ice and rain.  And in 2003, around that same date (25th, there about??), we got a decent event, a couple weeks after PD-II).

23 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

What late Feb snows (that is, after the 22nd or so) has this look led to in the past? Couldn't have been any in the corridor...I don't know of any that were above an inch or two. That's why I always write off the last 5-7 days of Feb every year because it's pretty much a null-zone historically.) Now I know the first week of March probably has some hits in there...

1964, 1996, 2005 all showed up in the analogs and all featured some snow in our area in late February.  1976 is actually the best analog in the group because it matches this seasons overall crap pattern very well also, and that year had one big snowstorm in our area in March.  I think it was 8" in Baltimore and 12" out here.  

Looking at the 12Z guidance, if you want to say there are 4 weeks of winter left, toss next week, and hope a specific threat emerges as we approach the end of the next work week as the pattern under goes some changes.  Whether it is too little, too late...EURO still has the coastal for next weekend, albeit off the coast.  WB EURO for next Sat :

D3B3FAB0-A231-4D6F-B729-1D4B81138B85.png

165E8C7F-FE23-48AE-98A2-81DD7BF2FFAE.png

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic