Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

Just now, Chris78 said:

Lol. Lets hope we got our disaster out of the way for the 2020's

Seems like they come without warning.  Epic disasters.  Few saw this coming looking at our snowfall contest entries.  But nothing screamed epic disaster in November. It just evolved.  

50 minutes ago, MountainGeek said:
It died on November 28th, apparently. Will continue the good old "next window for a storm is" song and dance. See if one or two click a little S&E and see what they give. Interior has done just fine "snowfall anomaly" wise. (which is why I hold utter disdain for the metric)

What does he mean that he holds snowfall anomaly "in disdain".

2 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Seems like they come without warning.  Epic disasters.  Few saw this coming looking at our snowfall contest entries.  But nothing screamed epic disaster in November. It just evolved.  

I remember PSU saying the seasonal models were predicting a mostly +AO state and him being puzzed why.  Whatever they saw, they were right.

+AO's do unfortunately. Mid latitudes in NA and Europe have been on fire most of the winter. Europe has been worse than the eastern half of the conus. This ugly pattern is affecting a giant piece of real estate. Our region is far from being alone. That actually helps me just shrug my shoulders at this point. Won't be the last time this happens either. Every decade since the 70s has had at least one epic disaster.
All I heard about was how the-qbo was going to promote blocking. What a crock although it wasnt that negative anyway lol

Lets zoom out and objectively analyze what we see. Is this the look of a pattern that produces a snowstorm in the MA? I could make a strong case that this is the exact antithesis of the ideal pattern for snow.
But..there is still a chance!!
1582200000-mmz3hD3UZZY.png&key=1334bc9b3159d4243bce94881fc1e9dc65963fce3cf67fbf6e186ccaa4ef4c31
Instead of the ridge bridge...its the trough woe

1 minute ago, Ji said:
1 hour ago, C.A.P.E. said:
Lets zoom out and objectively analyze what we see. Is this the look of a pattern that produces a snowstorm in the MA? I could make a strong case that this is the exact antithesis of the ideal pattern for snow.
But..there is still a chance!!
1582200000-mmz3hD3UZZY.png&key=1334bc9b3159d4243bce94881fc1e9dc65963fce3cf67fbf6e186ccaa4ef4c31

Instead of the ridge bridge...its the trough woe

I think “trough trough” would have been more apropos.

Edit:  no, no, “trough trench”

47 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

What does he mean that he holds snowfall anomaly "in disdain".

He thinks "climo" snowfall for the East coast is a poor representation of ground truth. One big storm can literally be the difference between a great "anomaly" year and a total dud. Lately we tend to be more boom/bust, so we could easily get 3 crap years, then one big year. So maybe an area averages out to 30" a year, but the reality they should be expecting is 10", 5", 20", 15", 70" vs complaining when they don't get 30" every year. 

PSU has hammered this point as well - a 15" annual average leads to the unrealistic expectation that we need to get 15" or better to be a "good" year. Median would be a better approach than the mean (which is skewed by the occasional HECS or big winter). 

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Yea, we need to root hard for a ++AO for another decade... said no one EVER

I have no idea how many consecutive such winters it would take to make a noticeable impact on the trend. I’d wag at least 5? Not sure how much summer temps have been involved either.

1 hour ago, Chris78 said:

Lol. Lets hope we got our disaster out of the way for the 2020's

Lol. I said the same thing recently. DCA's biggest decadal disasters since I've been alive are 11-12 (2.0"), 01-02 (3.2"), 97-98 (.1"), 80-81 (4.5"), and 72-73 (.1")

We talk about 01-02 a lot but there are 2 years with only .1". DCA currently has 6 times that amount of those years right now. Rockin it!

Remember 97-98 well . The media was nonstop saying the year with no winter in DC lol .

But this is just my personal opinion.  It only takes 1 nice storm to make a winter memorable. Just uno
I'm going to guess 97-98 had more teases than this year

2 minutes ago, Ji said:
16 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:
Remember 97-98 well . The media was nonstop saying the year with no winter in DC lol .

But this is just my personal opinion.  It only takes 1 nice storm to make a winter memorable. Just uno

I'm going to guess 97-98 had more teases than this year

Did it? Now I was only 7 so I don't remember a bunch, but from what I've heard...there was a whole lot of nothin', lol

97-98 was a very active winter for storms in Jan. and Feb. in particular.  Several genuine Miller A types if memory serves me right.  Ocean City had massive problems with erosion that winter.  Problem is they were rain producers for the most part.  I still managed to get 16.5" of snow for the winter including a 7" storm on March 3.

42 minutes ago, MountainGeek said:

He thinks "climo" snowfall for the East coast is a poor representation of ground truth. One big storm can literally be the difference between a great "anomaly" year and a total dud. Lately we tend to be more boom/bust, so we could easily get 3 crap years, then one big year. So maybe an area averages out to 30" a year, but the reality they should be expecting is 10", 5", 20", 15", 70" vs complaining when they don't get 30" every year. 

PSU has hammered this point as well - a 15" annual average leads to the unrealistic expectation that we need to get 15" or better to be a "good" year. Median would be a better approach than the mean (which is skewed by the occasional HECS or big winter). 

The "ground truth" of what?  Does he mean that more frequent good years are holding up the mean while the median is steadily declining?  If so, he's probably right. Should be easy to parse the numbers if one has the data.

6 minutes ago, Sparky said:

97-98 was a very active winter for storms in Jan. and Feb. in particular.  Several genuine Miller A types if memory serves me right.  Ocean City had massive problems with erosion that winter.  Problem is they were rain producers for the most part.  I still managed to get 16.5" of snow for the winter including a 7" storm on March 3.

It was a mega-Nino.  Plenty of precipitation but the Nino enso overwhelmed the pattern.  

312EB79F-5D08-4B6D-91B7-FE8CB706E455.gif

1 minute ago, losetoa6 said:

If memory serves me the op Gfs showed only 3-6 inches till game time lol. Epic fail by that model for that Hecs .

That was a helluva storm for the northern tier.  Many of us got 2 feet plus and that ull passage in the evening was spectacular snow rates.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic