Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

14 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

True...I don't know of a another stretch where you could count on a 12" storm every 3-4 years...and a two-foot every 6-7 years. We had been able to time that with a watch...but, barring a bit of a miracle, it looks like that stretch may end this year...

And I'm well aware of the battle zone...but even around here...a year like this is particularly rough (and now it's been 4 years since the last big one...and we've only had to shovel once in the last 4 years)

Just missed 12" last year (at least in the DC area) with that Jan 12-13 storm (10.3" at DCA.) That's shovelable. Southern burbs won out big with that other storm in Dec. as well. 

DCA also had a 4"er in March of 2018. Shovelable too no? (with it being the first day of spring and all, can't recall if it melted in a couple hours or not)

54 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

12-13 was the standard struggle for us. Tale of 2 halves near the cities. -PNA killed us early but that slowly progressed to pretty decent blocking towards the end and it did sorta pay off. Mar 2013 was just a subtle bad break at the last minute. It was a great setup for WAA precip followed by a closed ULL. The problem was the ULL deepened rapidly down in southern VA and cut off the WAA feed. Then it took a jog SE off the coast of VA beach and we were too far away from the action to get anything sustained the next day. It was a marginal temp situation (common) that could have been a really big event or even a good one as is if it was colder. It was simple reasons though and had nothing to do with the year itself being a disaster. 

The thing about our region is we are in the battle zone. We can get walloped so it "has the feel" of a big storm town but they simply don't come easy because of all the little things (mostly temps). Near misses and struggles are part of normal daily life here. Always has been since I've been around MD (1972) and always will be. For people that have been around a long time it's been a bit of shock and awe since Jan 2000. We've had quite a few very large events. Way more than any previous period (60s included). If anything, it's unusual and anomalous that we've had so many big storms over the last 20 years. 

Wasn't Dec 2012 the December where the AO was raging negative but somehow the pattern sucked?

3 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Wasn't Dec 2012 the December where the AO was raging negative but somehow the pattern sucked?

Yep, AK vortex stole our hopes and dreams. Even the -3 AO in March 2013 ended up with significant temp problems. Overall the Pac overwhelmed a typical friendly AO/NAO regime. It made up for it bigly in 2013-15 when the Pac overwhelmed a hostile AO/NAO regime. 

10 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Yep, AK vortex stole our hopes and dreams. Even the -3 AO in March 2013 ended up with significant temp problems. Overall the Pac overwhelmed a typical friendly AO/NAO regime. It made up for it bigly in 2013-15 when the Pac overwhelmed a hostile AO/NAO regime. 

March 2013 kicked off the best 2 year stretch of weather mby has ever seen.  And by a country mile.

24 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Funny thing is if you look at the anomalies in Dec 2010 the Pac and Atlantic were not that different from Dec 2012 but the blocking in 2010 was more west based which likely made the difference 

I have been trying to find some glimmers of hope in the LR, and the GEFS has been somewhat teasing the idea of some improvement in the Pac with a possible PNA ridge, but I don't like today's run and the GEPS looks even worse. Looking again like this will be another failed attempt, as the more anomalous +heights are already slipping back into the central Pacific by day 15.

EPS has not been enthusiastic at all and has been advertising a stronger AK vortex in the LR. Can see on this panel, 15 days from now, what is running the show. Look familiar? No legit cold even close. Looking more and more like it will be a lucky fluke or bust, maybe in early March.

1582588800-jzqmuhNmtJM.png

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

Man, this place is dead...as it should be. Doesnt really look like any threats to me thru the end of the month

Probably a good time to stop looking at the LR. The likelihood of seeing any meaningful 'favorable' pattern change at this point is probably pretty low. If it's going to snow, it will be some lucky/fluky deal that pops up in the medium range. And yeah, shorter wavelengths might help even with the same general crap pattern. Cant forget to mention that. lol.

Just now, C.A.P.E. said:

Probably a good time to stop looking at the LR. The likelihood of seeing any meaningful 'favorable' pattern change at this point is probably pretty low. If it's going to snow, it will be some lucky/fluky deal that pops up in the medium range. And yeah, shorter wavelengths might help even with the same general crap pattern. Cant forget to mention that. lol.

There are a couple of EPS members that bring a shot of snow over us and even to our south.  So maybe something will pop up before the end of the month. Looking casually but not expecting anything at this point.

1 hour ago, Weather Will said:

There are a couple of EPS members that bring a shot of snow over us and even to our south.  So maybe something will pop up before the end of the month. Looking casually but not expecting anything at this point.

Yeah I understand that.

That panel you posted above is pretty ugly lol. Can't get much worse looking up top than that. Maybe going forward the look will improve, but the odds are not good. This pattern has been locked in. Persistence FTL.

I’m resigning myself to the fact that the PV is comfortable in the Arctic until something unleashes it. It’s so frustrating to have all of this rain all week and then cold and dry by Friday. I’d rather have cold and dry than warm and wet.  Maybe we can get a surprise snow like the South had last week.  

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic