• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

We’ve managed some pretty good March storms. 93 being at the top of my list. If it wants to snow in my favorite month (my bday), I’m not kicking it out of bed. Lol. Warmth and shorts season is long enough already. Feels like it just ended as it is. I’m all in for one more attempt at some cold white smoke. 

25 minutes ago, Scraff said:

We’ve managed some pretty good March storms. 93 being at the top of my list. If it wants to snow in my favorite month (my bday), I’m not kicking it out of bed. Lol. Warmth and shorts season is long enough already. Feels like it just ended as it is. I’m all in for one more attempt at some cold white smoke. 

March can deliver but I have no interest in a cold April 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Same...come March 1, I’m ready to start tracking sustained 60s and sun.  I’m over the cold, dreary March weather where its 42 and drizzling.  Yay spring -NAO!

I agree. For anyone who lives near the city, March snows are just blah. No, I am not going to rehash the sun angle debate,  but I  also prefer snow that covers the streets for at least day or so, doesn’t melt from lawns the next day, and doesn’t lead to even more stress than usual given higher potential for major busts, as was case in that big March bust in 2013.

10 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Another strong technical indicator of how bad this winter has been... Mosquito talk on Feb 9th

I was just out in the yard extracting dandelions. Good time to do it with the soft soil.

I also took a walk back in the woods to check out my "seasonal" wetland, aka mosquito breeding ground. Surprisingly, nothing but one little puddle. It is usually well on its way to expanding into a 1/4 to 1/3 acre, 1 ft deep swamp by now. So now I am rooting for warm and dry. Evaporation and transpiration ftw.

26 minutes ago, anotherman said:

Cold is necessary to kill bacteria, viruses, ticks, and invasive species. Most people have little idea why we need it to be cold. It makes me sick when the weather people on tv are joyous about 50s in January.

Drinking lots of water is a necessity also. Flushes out a lot of toxins in your body.

40 minutes ago, anotherman said:

Cold is necessary to kill bacteria, viruses, ticks, and invasive species. Most people have little idea why we need it to be cold. It makes me sick when the weather people on tv are joyous about 50s in January.

They have to appease hundreds of thousands of completely idiotic viewers who are concerned with their own personal comfort above all else.

You have to remember that the majority of people are really ignorant. They don't even know basic things such as when the US was founded, who fought in WWII, how vaccines work, etc. The idea that cold snaps are needed to maintain our ecosystem is totally foreign to them. They probably think "Florida is always warm and it's nice there." They have zero insight or understanding of the risks of invasive species moving north. It just doesn't cross their minds.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Kmlwx said:

I want a deep freeze to cut down on the annoying bugs in spring and summer. I bet we have a huge mosquito season if not. 

Warm winters don’t really equate to a big mosquito season. If it did, then the northern US and Canada wouldn’t have swarms of mosquitoes the likes of which we have never seen.

Now, if we have a warm, wet spring, then we’ll likely start off early with the mozzies.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, MD Snow said:

Not that it makes a difference for us but definite trend south for wed night/Thursday morning deal  on op gfs the last 3 runs. Slower with S/w and faster with NS. 

Yeah it looks good for places like the Poconos now. Would probably be all snow there verbatim.

Easy chase for those who are desperate to ease their despair.

2 hours ago, StantonParkHoya said:

Why would anyone want a cold March?

To delay tree (apples, pear, peach) flowering.  The longer trees stay dormant the longer they can handle a hard freeze.   10 degrees F on April 1 after a warm March will eliminate any hope for fruit.  But the same 10 F after a cold March shouldn’t be a problem.

11 hours ago, cbmclean said:

I was under the impression that the late December fail was a different beast: the AK vortex Pac Puke.  AO was actually negative from roughly Dec 15th - 25th or so, but was trumped by the mild Pacific air.

We've basically had three patterns so far this winter:

1) AK vortex Pac Puke

2) Monstrous Cenral PAC ridge

3) Hudson Bay ridge (which flooded Canada with anomalous warmth)

Now we have an AK vortex again

I guess you can say the thematic features have been the raging positive AO and the MJO being in bad phases

4 minutes ago, Amorphous Iodine said:

To delay tree (apples, pear, peach) flowering.  The longer trees stay dormant the longer they can handle a hard freeze.   10 degrees F on April 1 after a warm March will eliminate any hope for fruit.  But the same 10 F after a cold March shouldn’t be a problem.

I don't think we have to worry about any prolonged freezes

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

They have to appease hundreds of thousands of completely idiotic viewers who are concerned with their own personal comfort above all else.

You have to remember that the majority of people are really ignorant. They don't even know basic things such as when the US was founded, who fought in WWII, how vaccines work, etc. The idea that cold snaps are needed to maintain our ecosystem is totally foreign to them. They probably think "Florida is always warm and it's nice there." They have zero insight or understanding of the risks of invasive species moving north. It just doesn't cross their minds.

That’s correct. Now Florida is dealing with Iguanas, an invasive species, that’s disrupting the ecosystem. Not that stuff like that doesn’t happen regularly. But to have it happen in tens of years instead of hundreds or thousands can’t be good. 

4 hours ago, Wonderdog said:

Two weeks out (2/23-24) looks different and promising. Yeah, I know. Has ridging out west and a vort pass under us. (Gotta have some hope, right)?

Gotta have hope.  Also I think with the way things have gone sliding right into spring is not in the cards.  No basis just gut.  

5 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Gotta have hope.  Also I think with the way things have gone sliding right into spring is not in the cards.  No basis just gut.  

March snow is a pain for two reasons:

1) the obvious (need heavy rated to stick in the cities, sun angle, etc)

2) The early Daylight Savings stupidity makes weather model watching a pain...hate waiting an hour later for those.

The only way I'd be okay with that is if we got an anomalous foot next month...lol

15 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

If ya can't get a fluke in February...in a pattern like this...why in the world would it work in March?

Different longwave reactions to the same forcing due to changing jet strength. That’s why the mjo phases don’t have the same reaction every month. It’s not all the time, it’s not even most of the time...but some of the similar pattern god awful winters flipped to a colder snowier period in March.  Shorter wavelengths combined with the increased potential energy of extreme baroclinicity in March can lead to some wacky results that can overcome the crap pacific base state.  It’s no guarante. Plenty of analogs to this winter simply rolled into spring but enough featured a March snowstorm to say that’s likely the best chance at a fluke. 

1 minute ago, BristowWx said:

GEFS and GEPS are trying to offer up a somewhat different look towards the end of the month. The mean suggests a PNA ridge, but still not a great look up top and not really a cold look overall, but it would be better than the rut we are in now. Probably the last chance to shift the pattern to something more favorable for a March hail Mary though, so something to keep an eye on over the next few days. Lets see if the EPS gets on board.

43 minutes ago, Inverted_Trough said:

I'm already looking beyond this summer:  Summer of 2021 is going to be a scorcher!

Summer of 1944, 1955, 1966, 1977, 1988, 1999, and 2010 were blazing.  There appears to be some correlation to the solar cycle I guess.

Not sure if you agree but it seems like most summers in the 2010s decade have been a scorcher. I've noticed a trend with higher dewpoints each summer, and less desert style heat

Everyone can root for whatever they want since it doesn’t actually affect the weather.  So everyone can root for whatever they want without any guilt because there is no causality. Unless other people wanting cold or warm bothers you...in which case may I suggest you find something (and it shouldn’t be hard) more productive to worry about!  

Just now, C.A.P.E. said:

GEFS and GEPS are trying to offer up a somewhat different look towards the end of the month. The mean suggests a PNA ridge, but still not a great look up top and not really a cold look overall, but it would be better than the rut we are in now. Probably the last chance to shift the pattern to something more favorable for a March hail Mary though, so something to keep an eye on over the next few days. Lets see if the EPS gets on board.

Roger that.  I’m with you.  Blind  squirrels find nuts sometimes and hope they aren’t attached to another squirrel.  

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic