• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

History said if we didn’t see a major flip in the NAM by late January that with the pac pattern this year we were toast. Simply put that pac pattern is stable. It tends to last. It can be offset by favorable blocking but when the AO remains hostile going into February it usually remains so until March if not the whole season.   When we got to the last week of January and no improvement was hinted at I kind of realized we were very very very likely looking at a total dud. 

A fluke can happen. March is the best bet.  But this has had all the tells of a dumpster fire season since late December.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MJO812 said:

What a winter for the west coast and upper mid west.

The PNW has been "OKAY"   Washington State has been more in the storm track than here in Central Oregon where I live.  I am below average for snow and it has certainly been above average temperatures through out the winter.   December was unusually dry but January got the mountain snowpack back near normal. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, snownut said:

The PNW has been "OKAY"   Washington State has been more in the in the storm track than here in Central Oregon where I live.  I am below average for snow and it has certainly been above average temperatures through out the winter.   December was unusually dry but January got the mountain snowpack back near normal. 

My friend in Utah has over 250 inches of snow.

3 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

My friend in Utah has over 250 inches of snow.

Mount Bachelor here (I can see out my window)  has had 247" so far this season.   My hunch it will be a 350" season?? They average 350 - 450 in a normal year so nothing special this year.  In 2012-2013 season before I moved here they had over 828" in one season.   The next year, when I moved here (2014-2015) season they had the least seasonal amount in their  entire history! Only 182" for the season.  I think I brought the Mid Atlantic jinx with me . ha ha .. 

here is a link to the interact totals through 2017 season / which was a nice year .  https://www.snowpak.com/oregon/mount-bachelor/snow

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

History said if we didn’t see a major flip in the NAM by late January that with the pac pattern this year we were toast. Simply put that pac pattern is stable. It tends to last. It can be offset by favorable blocking but when the AO remains hostile going into February it usually remains so until March if not the whole season.   When we got to the last week of January and no improvement was hinted at I kind of realized we were very very very likely looking at a total dud. 

A fluke can happen. March is the best bet.  But this has had all the tells of a dumpster fire season since late December.

Go to give you credit, you pretty much called this winter a complete dud in late December and you were spot on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ji said:

to where? the north pole?

56 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Burlington, dude.  They've been getting clocked with every west/app runner we've had.

I’m in Burlington since Friday morning. Skied Stowe today. Friday I bar hopped and watched 12” fall between 10am and 7pm. 22 degrees and cold smoke for 8+ hours. Skied 14” at the resort today.

If y’all love snow then become addicted to skiing (like me) and you’ll always have a good reason to travel.

DFDC6314-B517-4132-852C-38F7552642E0.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

If ya can't get a fluke in February...in a pattern like this...why in the world would it work in March?

3 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

That doesn't mean anything to me. Neither does ATL getting snow. Who cares? My yard on the other hand... my muddy soggy yard with flower bulbs coming up.... that matters a lot and it sucks

I see your point, but I also found some of those past winters where NYC/NE get hammered - while we always get fringed - actually way more painful than this type of winter.  At least when virtually everyone gets shutout, it doesn't feel that bad.  12/30/00 and 12/26/10 were gut punches that took a while to get over.  

8 minutes ago, Inverted_Trough said:

I see your point, but I also found some of those past winters where NYC/NE get hammered - while we always get fringed - actually way more painful than this type of winter.  At least when virtually everyone gets shutout, it doesn't feel that bad.  12/30/00 and 12/26/10 were gut punches that took a while to get over.  

But the mid Atlantic cashed in on 2/6/10 which was the biggest gut punch to nyc that I could remember! 

I just wonder if the 95 corridor will ever see a repeat of 95-96 where everyone cashes in.

34 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Quick glance and I see the GEFS has moved to the Euro. Can't picture a winning scenario if the NS can't for the most part bypass the Southwest SW and move eastward reinforcing the suppression. Not giving up at this time (will give it a couple more days) but admittedly it does look rough at this time. 

You do have quite an eloquent way of saying "the recurring pattern and themes this winter really suck and the late week system look like much of the same shiit"

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

And kudos to you for doing all of the research back in Dec on the pattern that was developing and historically where it would probably head. Your facts were easy to read and comprehend and while many didnt want to hear it you were transparent in suggesting that historically once those Pac looks showed up and lasted a specific amount of time there really was little hope of getting out of it. Well played sir....I thank you for your efforts and research.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The only consistent feature this winter has been the ++AO/+NAO.  When psu made his dire predictions, there was a monster central PAC ridge.  That ridge actually faded two weeks later and didn't last as long as feared.  We've actually had several different 'patterns' this winter, but none of them were good aside from November...which was too early in the season.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic