Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

27 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Bob, just seems like we are in a bad decadal pattern at this point. 2003-2014 was a good run per historical norms. We are in a bad period. Starting in 2017-ish, so we have a few more years to go.The Blizzard of 2016 was unappreciated by many because it seemed lame compared to the 2009-2010 HECS events, but by 2024 we will be begging for half of it.

Man ya really can't say for sure how long it's gonna be It's not always a "decadal pattern" per se (except for the NAO, perhaps...lol)...just look at our history. We have gone through stretches like this before...and each one varied in length. If you haven't already, I'd take a look at our total snowfall history here:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.weather.gov/media/lwx/climate/bwisnow.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiDic26wr7nAhW0HDQIHW2nC-AQFjABegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw3Xws59lCrf_D3e3gn4bJeo

You'll find a lot of boom and bust all throughout with little degree of consistency...lol But the point is...this ain't the first time. And I'm not sure we can predict what effects a changing climate may or may not have on our snow chances here (but I understand your worry about it being negative...we'll just have to see)

Just now, Maestrobjwa said:

Man ya really can't say for sure how long it's gonna be It's not always a "decadal pattern" per se (except for the NAO, perhaps...lol)...just look at our history. We have gone through stretches like this before...and each one varied in length. If you haven't already, I'd take a look at our total snowfall history here:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.weather.gov/media/lwx/climate/bwisnow.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiDic26wr7nAhW0HDQIHW2nC-AQFjABegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw3Xws59lCrf_D3e3gn4bJeo

You'll find a lot of boom and bust all throughout with little degree of consistency...lol

It could be fewer years, but we are in a shit long-term pattern right now. Maybe we break free next year. Keep checking the CFS, I guess.

Damn, ICON bringing the HECS. Straight river out of the gulf into a nasty 50/50 blocked high. Would be 1 foot of waa and another with the CCB. Nyc north would get nothing. A true MA special. Prob wrong but that's the best storm at hr180 I've seen this year. 
What a squeeze play...
icon_z500_vort_atl_61.png&key=51f5da90017738ef665d2799916a2d7dbddbd80bb394228711fc5a7b6a04c8f1
This has been a very active southern stream year...like 2003....without the cold but it just takes one weekend where it comes together and you get pd2 or the storm of 1983
  • Like 1
  • Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, Ji said:
7 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:
Damn, ICON bringing the HECS. Straight river out of the gulf into a nasty 50/50 blocked high. Would be 1 foot of waa and another with the CCB. Nyc north would get nothing. A true MA special. Prob wrong but that's the best storm at hr180 I've seen this year. 
What a squeeze play...
icon_z500_vort_atl_61.png&key=51f5da90017738ef665d2799916a2d7dbddbd80bb394228711fc5a7b6a04c8f1

This has been a very active southern stream year...like 2003....without the cold but it just takes one weekend where it comes together and you get pd2 or the storm of 1983

Gfs looks very similar to the icon at h5 hr144... confluence and an ULL tapping the gulf. 

• Like 3

Just now, Ji said:
6 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:
What a squeeze play...

GFS might bring it

Just now, Ji said:
1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:
Gfs looks very similar to the icon at h5 hr144... confluence and an ULL tapping the gulf. 

Can you imagine if we got a hecs this winter in February lol

All this chasing d15 or d150 or whatever and a big storm might sneak up on us inside of 8 days. 

All this chasing d15 or d150 or whatever and a big storm might sneak up on us inside of 8 days. 
The modeling for next week ...starting about 5 days ago has been wild...snowstorms to cutters and 70...to sleet to rain...pretty much everything possible

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Personally I've been eyeing next weekend based on history alone, lol PD weekend...4 years since the last footer...ya never know. (so I wouldn't be entirely shocked if this one found a way to work out--but it would be pretty funny considering what we've been through so far, lol)

2 minutes ago, Ji said:
5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

The modeling for next week ...starting about 5 days ago has been wild...snowstorms to cutters and 70...to sleet to rain...pretty much everything possible

Tpv se of hudson that becomes a 50/50 and a closed low tracking the deep south. 

If that's right it's a pretty big block. Could be too much. We'll know in 3 days or so.

gfs_z500a_nhem_25.png

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ji said:
8 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Yea, I've been mostly skipping looking too much. Really bouncy. Go to gfs @ hr126 and click previous run 8 times. That's not that far out in time. Models are all over the place for this timeframe

Tpv se of hudson that becomes a 50/50 and a closed low tracking the deep south. 
If that's right it's a pretty big block. Could be too much. We'll know in 3 days or so.
gfs_z500a_nhem_25.png&key=e1993294d161129a4b31ea336f0adc1d58d9d8604ecba238b2e81e3b1cddfd4f
Ya we cant waste this....may be our only chance this season. I bet sometime screws us and it would be something ironic like too much blocking lol..

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic