Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

6 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I have a hard time believing it being rain when a 1030+ cold hp is nosing down the 2 days before. It hits at night and the mids appear fine. Haven't looked at 800mb temp yet. This looks like bread and butter small event more than rain with the vort pass and slp track. If that stays the same things will look better over the coming days 

I normally would too but everything so far shows rain (especially for us near 95).  Our high slides off and the cold isn’t necessarily “cold” leading in.  Like you’ve been saying, any true deep cold airmass is hard to find this year. 

3 minutes ago, Quasievil said:

Looks like surface temp problems, as outlined by @LP08. 850's are a NW wind with temps well below freezing.

And yeah, we're analyzing temperatures 6 days out. So what? ;)

gfs_T850_us_24.png

Maybe I’m just in a pessimistic mood with how the season has gone.  Let’s keep the Vort pass and let the chips fall where they may.

9 minutes ago, LP08 said:

I normally would too but everything so far shows rain (especially for us near 95).  Our high slides off and the cold isn’t necessarily “cold” leading in.  Like you’ve been saying, any true deep cold airmass is hard to find this year. 

Yea... looked at soundings. Southerly flow from the deck to 800mbs. Ground might be a little muddy after 5" of rain so we need heavy rates to overcome the quagmire

Just now, C.A.P.E. said:

@Weather Will

Actually,  if you keep posting the money WB maps (when there is something interesting to track), I will cancel my subscription. I'll even start a special thread for it.

Always nice to shed some unnecessary expenses.

I don’t see any prohibition as long as it is not for commercial use.  I would presume moderators would tell me if it was inappropriate or WB would send me a nastigram.

There was a lot to like with the latest Euro run for our Sunday system compared to the GFS as well as the last few runs of the Euro as well.

What we are seeing is energy dropping down from the Pacific NW  with one stream to the north as well as another stream under cutting it. The northern stream is dropping into the southern portion in the middle of the country and then moving eastward picking up surface low pressure and driving it into the east. Now where and when we see the phasing between these streams will be important for where we see the track of the storm as well as rain/mix/snow for our region. 

Now if we do a comparison between the current Euro and the GFS (previous Euros were similar) the difference maker is how far south the flow they are embedded in can drop south behind the lead trough. If you compare both models you will see that the Euro drops substantially farther south then what we are seeing on the GFS. This is important as this farther south solution would favor seeing low pressure development and track farther to the south in a more favorable position for us in the east. Now what is causing this more suppressed flow in the west/central portion of the CONUS is what we see occur with the leading trough in the east. What we saw on the latest Euro is that we saw a more significant initial drop of that feature through Texas and the Gulf states which dragged the flow farther south on it's backside.

epsvort.gif.7e73a11dce6925792f65c9b2886f12f9.gif

gfsvort.gif.e5aee800e3e3fed810912e30d05b1807.gif

Moving forward a day and a half we can see the results. Directly below we have the GFS and we see that the shortwave/energy has picked up the forming low in the Tennessee valley and driven it into West Virginia. It then tracks it through our region and off the coast. Not a great look for us as it would tend to drive warm air through our region as the low moves to our west. Another thing I want to add is that we are also seeing a quicker phasing of those two streams on the GFS. This quicker phasing is also allowing for the 500's to attract the surface low quicker (In fact the low is captured over WV at this time) pulling the forming low northward as well. So between the farther north initial low development and the subsequent capture we are seeing a much farther north solution then what we see on the second map below the EPS. (***Now the look below is very perilous despite what may be showing up on the snow maps. The only saving grace is it washes out the low after capture so the southerly flow gets weakened. There are so many ways that this look could go wrong vs. right that I would not feel comfortable with our chances for anything somewhat meaningful if this is what we see at showtime.)

But look at what we are seeing on the Euro. We are seeing the low forming in the deep south and then moving through OBX and then OTS. Now this look is a good one for our region, in particularly for our southern regions where the heavier precip will be confined, if only the temps can cooperate. One other thing I will note. Look at how we are seeing the energy curling and its location and where we see the low pressure. That is a very favorable look with just some minor adjustments to potentially capture the surface low in a favorable locale for strengthening it  and drawing it up the coast somewhat to get the northern portions of the region into the better precip total. This is the look I hope to see as there is some good upside potential with no where near the perils presented on the GFS.

gfsvortlow.gif.28668301eef9919b7fffde9be997b0e9.gif

epsvortlow.gif.ad859f7b2bf2e1c874217b6d8f0c56ab.gif

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

We need to get our priorities in order here. So much focus on a piddly snow tv system this weekend which probably wont pan out and not enough focus on Day 10+

What could possibly go wrong? ;)

gfs_asnow_neus_65.png

Nothing will go wrong. The gods have started to smile on us and there’s no turning back.

I haven’t really looked at anything today but I thought that system about a week out had promise 

• Weenie 3

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic