Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Banter 2020

George BM

On 2/28/2020 at 10:56 PM, WxWatcher007 said:

Incredible footage! I saw a little of that, minus the snowpack right here in Austin earlier in Feb, for about an hour! It even accumulated a quarter inch on north facing slopes!

A quarter inch of snow is roughly equivalent to a 4-6 inch snowstorm in Dale City VA.

Wow man that is a TON of snow! It's definitely NOT fake snow, either!

On 2/28/2020 at 5:13 PM, Stormpc said:

I lived in Oswego County for seven years. I am an avid snow lover. I got tired of it. Saw more snow than I ever needed. Was up there during the 1992-1993 season where we had over 300 inches in my area. I decided I couldn't take it anymore and moved down to Arlington the following year. So snow does have a shelf life for sure to some people. Especially when you get too much of it.

Maybe it gets old for you, but you all know me - I want snow even if I lived in a region with 10,000 inches of snow in a single season. I'd dig it all - WITH A JEBMAN SHOVEL. You'd NEVER hear me complain about too much snow!

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
23 hours ago, RDM said:

Just curious - Do you know if they have special building codes up there in the snow belt?  Normal 24" rafters with 5/8" sheathing won't withstand that sort of repeated snow loading on a flat pitched roof.  Not trolling here - always wondered if their code has extra factors built in.  Tks

I'm sure they do. High snow load is baked into the codes of any area that gets large amounts regularly. Colorado rockies are 2x6" walls minimum. Many houses are 2x8s. I can't remember trusses but they are beefed up for sure. I can't remember a single collapse in the 7 years I lived there. However, at least 2 people died from roof avalanches.

3 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

You would be proud, Jeb. I spent a lot of my trip helping people dig out. 

When I drove into the CT blizzard in 2013 I spend a lot of the time digging people out. Amazed me why some thought it was a good idea to drive into 3 feet of snow in the vehicle they had with no shovel and obviously no experience driving in much snow. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1