Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Banter 2020

George BM

@losetoa6

I am drinking a 90 min right now. Have a couple 120s in the fridge, but trying to save em. At least for a day or 2 lol.

Enjoy it. I like to get it really cold then just sip on it and let it warm up a tad as I drink. These high gravity ales tend to be complex so you get a different experience by the end. Ofc you are half knocked on your ass by that point too so that explains some of it lol.

Just now, losetoa6 said:

The 90 is very good imo. 

Btw ...save one 120 min beer for our March blizzard :beer:

Yes the 90 is a really good DIPA. Amazing how much different the 120 is. Going from the 60 to the 90 is somewhat significant, but then the 120 is an altogether different animal. Very boozy.

Seeing lots of ski talk....you need to look into heli-skiing the Chugach. Some of the best spots in the world and even low elevation spots like Thompson and Turnagain Passes avg insane amounts. Some of the interior terrain at higher elevations avg > 1k. Was just up that way earlier this month and stopped by Alyeska. Snow was deep. 

5 hours ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Yeah, Jan '77 was absolutely brutal state-wide (hell, for a wide region outside there too!).  Even for someone who likes cold and snow, it was a bit much!  I recall Cleveland did not go above freezing from about the last week of December through the first week of February.  I think that was true for the entire state pretty much.  And several below zero days/nights through that time for sure.  We didn't get an excessive amount of snow, but whatever fell collected and stuck around for a good, long time.  Average temperature at KCLE for that January was 11 degrees!  That's still their coldest January and coldest month on record.  Lots of days off from school too, I remember.  They were putting sand and crushed coal on the roads simply because it was too cold for regular salt to do any good, and at least that gave you some traction.

Indeed - around Dayton we set a number of records for that period.  Besides not getting above freezing for the month of Jan, believe there was a stint when we didn't get above the single digits for well over a week.  That really took its toll on about everything.  On the coldest morning of the period (-27F) my sister's Dodge Omni clutch cable broke.  Got a new cable and fixed it outside on our driveway with a snowmobile suit on.  Froze my arsh off.  Was only about 130 lbs then, vice 270 now.

Recall when it warmed up there were major issues with ice flows/jams on the GLs and the Ohio and Mississippi rivers, and their tributaries.  Lots of flooding from the ice dams.  Recall them dropping charges from helicopters on the Ohio to break up the piles.  

7" on the ground out here in Deep Creek, MD. Amazing it was brown the whole drive up until we were about 20 miles out, crazy micro climate. I picked a good weekend since it rained this past week and looks like rain next week too. I'll enjoy my winter wonder land for a couple days :)

Snow is only a couple hours away if you need your fix!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

I'm pretty excited for my oldest daughter.  We drove up to Temple University yesterday to meet with the Gymnastics head coach and after all was said and done he told her  there is  spot for her on the team  if she chooses.  Only roughly 60 D1 schools have gymnastics so as u can imagine it's tough to get on a squad.  Now I just got to come up with the $120K + lol.  Good thing she's had strait A's since 5th grade and a 1200 SAT ( taken her freshman year...she's taken it again next week ...she's a junior now) . So she will get academic money but too soon to know how much .

Congratulations.  That's quite something to be proud of.  I feel for you re the tuition.  Our daughter graduated from W&M last May.  That was $140K... With your daughter's intellect, SAT and other skills, maybe Temple will work with you some...  Good luck.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

I'm pretty excited for my oldest daughter.  We drove up to Temple University yesterday to meet with the Gymnastics head coach and after all was said and done he told her  there is  spot for her on the team  if she chooses.  Only roughly 60 D1 schools have gymnastics so as u can imagine it's tough to get on a squad.  Now I just got to come up with the $120K + lol.  Good thing she's had strait A's since 5th grade and a 1200 SAT ( taken her freshman year...she's taken it again next week ...she's a junior now) . So she will get academic money but too soon to know how much .

Says the man who spends $10 for a 120 min IPA to guzzle down. :D

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

one more thing... The fact that you are knocking down fourteeners at this point in your life is very impressive and inspiring. I did Old Rag a few weeks back and was quickly reminded that I need more exercise. LOL

Thanks! Not gonna lie, it took a bit to conquer that last 500 foot elevation lol!

17 hours ago, Stormpc said:

I lived in Oswego County for seven years. I am an avid snow lover. I got tired of it. Saw more snow than I ever needed. Was up there during the 1992-1993 season where we had over 300 inches in my area. I decided I couldn't take it anymore and moved down to Arlington the following year. So snow does have a shelf life for sure to some people. Especially when you get too much of it.

Just curious - Do you know if they have special building codes up there in the snow belt?  Normal 24" rafters with 5/8" sheathing won't withstand that sort of repeated snow loading on a flat pitched roof.  Not trolling here - always wondered if their code has extra factors built in.  Tks

1 hour ago, RDM said:

Just curious - Do you know if they have special building codes up there in the snow belt?  Normal 24" rafters with 5/8" sheathing won't withstand that sort of repeated snow loading on a flat pitched roof.  Not trolling here - always wondered if their code has extra factors built in.  Tks

I’ve always thought it was dumb to use 24” spacing for roof trusses. On a house 56 feet long it saves 14 trusses. My trusses cost $186 each on a house 32’ wide. That amounts to $2600 dollars. Not much to pay for not having to worry about saggy plywood and the amount of snow a roof can handle. Same goes for 2x4 walls. On the house I built I had about 150 outside framing 2x6’s. It cost me an extra $300 vs 2x4’s. How long do you think it’ll take me to recoup that because of the better insulation?

Also don’t see the benefit of a low slope roof. Should be at least a 6-12

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I’ve always thought it was dumb to use 24” spacing for roof trusses. On a house 56 feet long it saves 14 trusses. My trusses cost $186 each on a house 32’ wide. That amounts to $2600 dollars. Not much to pay for not having to worry about saggy plywood and the amount of snow a roof can handle. Same goes for 2x4 walls. On the house I built I had about 150 outside framing 2x6’s. It cost me an extra $300 vs 2x4’s. How long do you think it’ll take me to recoup that because of the better insulation?

Also don’t see the benefit of a low slope roof. Should be at least a 6-12

Couldn't agree more on the truss spacing and walls and the roof slope.  Never understood the logic in using measly 5/8" sheathing too.  Yea, it saves a few bucks, but why not go for full 3/4" tig and have a roof that will really hold up?  Not sure if you remember the fiasco around NOVA in the late 80's with the delaminating roof sheathing?  Impacted a lot of developments put up in the late 70's and early/mid 80's.  Because 5/8" is so thin, when there's a bad batch and/or void in the lamination the weakness in 5/8" exasperates the situation whereas 3/4 has a much greater ability to compensate for any manufacturing voids. 

On the roof slope, in some cases design and/or geometry drives a flatter slope.  However, the steeper the roof the stronger with a far less tendency to have ice dam issues.  Still curious what sort of construction standards they have in the GL snow belt to compensate for the snow load.  If we had 4 feet of snow on the roofs around here the impact would be terrible.   We saw some of that in 2010 with some collapses and damage due to ice damming.  Our code is for an ice dam layer as well around here, 2 rows if the pitch is 4-12 or flatter.  But we all know how that goes... 

4 hours ago, RDM said:

Wxlover is right about the truss spacing. But most of these older homes were built in the 40s and 50s or earlier and used stick-built roof systems with wood that came from local Mills. The heavy hard stuff that you can't find anymore. And most of them have 1x4 wood slat/ panel roof sheathing not the standard 5/8 inch plywood. Many of the homes have 7/12 to 12/12 pitches BUT most of the front or rear porches have far less pitch and tend to collapse if not maintained after a heavy snow that doesn't blow away.

1 hour ago, Stormpc said:

Wxlover is right about the truss spacing. But most of these older homes were built in the 40s and 50s or earlier and used stick-built roof systems with wood that came from local Mills. The heavy hard stuff that you can't find anymore. And most of them have 1x4 wood slat/ panel roof sheathing not the standard 5/8 inch plywood. Many of the homes have 7/12 to 12/12 pitches BUT most of the front or rear porches have far less pitch and tend to collapse if not maintained after a heavy snow that doesn't blow away.

Thanks.  Can relate to what you mean about the "heavy hard stuff".  My childhood home in Ohio was built in 1880, my brother's home not far away in 1860 (and my brother and his family are only the 3 occupants since 1860!).  In both structures, they used real wood that is nearly impossible to drive a nail into.  

In the early 80's when I was still at home we built a large detached garage addition at my parent's home for my dad's fire museum (all from the hand-pulled era of firefighting).  Dad thought he'd save some money and add a little nostalgia to the interior of the museum by using some reclaimed wood from a local barn tear-down.  It was rough sawn oak - rough dimensioned.  We used it for the studs on the ground floor.  Only after getting the walls up and second floor trusses in place did we realize today's modern nails would not cut it.  It took a dozen or so tries before we got the first 16 penny nail to go in.  We ended up having to drill every single hole by hand for the outside sheathing and firebreaks.  It was funny at first how hard that stuff was.  The novelty of it wore off fast when you have to drill several hundred nail holes by with an electric drill (properly undersized of course to provide good grip).  That stuff was literally tougher than nails.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic