Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Banter 2020

George BM

1 minute ago, Chris78 said:

IMHO Ayala will be the reason if they are going to make a deep run. Smith and Cowan will do there thing. When Cowan drives and kicks out to Ayala for the open 3 can he hit it? Hes been inconsistant at best during the regular season. I think they  need a consistant 3rd scorer to go deep into March

Certainly possible but yeah they need the 3rd guy. He maybe won’t be the guy this year but I kinda like Donta Scott. Maybe not the most talented guy but he’s always hustling and following his shot. There’s definitely not a lack of hustle or effort on this team but they do lack the consistent scorer from the outside. Sometimes Ayala or Wiggins get a little hot but it’s super inconsistent. 2-14 from 3 last night to start. 

8 minutes ago, BaltimoreWxGuy said:

Certainly possible but yeah they need the 3rd guy. He maybe won’t be the guy this year but I kinda like Donta Scott. Maybe not the most talented guy but he’s always hustling and following his shot. There’s definitely not a lack of hustle or effort on this team but they do lack the consistent scorer from the outside. Sometimes Ayala or Wiggins get a little hot but it’s super inconsistent. 2-14 from 3 last night to start. 

I agree. Donta Scott could be that guy also. Without a consistant 3rd scorer,Smith and Cowan can only take them so far IMO.

There championship team had Dixon from the outside and Baxter on the inside but had Steve Blake who was an excellent 3 pt shooter and Drew Nicholas off the bench who could come in firing.

There lacking that this year. Not saying that cant win it all but Cowan and smith arent going to be able to have any off games.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chris78 said:

I agree. Donta Scott could be that guy also. Without a consistant 3rd scorer,Smith and Cowan can only take them so far IMO.

There championship team had Dixon from the outside and Baxter on the inside but had Steve Blake who was an excellent 3 pt shooter and Drew Nicholas off the bench who could come in firing.

There lacking that this year. Not saying that cant win it all but Cowan and smith arent going to be able to have any off games.

Yeah, I agree. Call me a downer but I just don’t see them advancing past sweet 16. The thing they have going for them is college basketball lacks dominant teams this year but they’re gonna run into some team who is shooting well and they won’t be able to keep up. We’ll see, I’ll still try to enjoy it either way. 

Just now, Chris78 said:

Yea, there's no comparison to the championship year. Blake and Dixon were often deadly and Baxter owned nearly every matchup. Bench was solid. In some ways the team that year reminded me of an NBA team. It often just didn't matter who was on the floor. It just worked. This year we HAVE to have Smith and Cowan on the floor for the majority of the game or else... That's quite a contrast to how the terps won it all. 

Looking at some of the teams out there I just don't see how the Terps can beat the likes of Duke and KU etc. Playing to perfection is the only recipe while teams like Duke and KU have much more leeway. I'm not expecting a championship honestly. It's possible but unlikely. A trip to the final 4 would be f'n amazing and even that will require taking down one or more better team(s) first. We'll see. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Yea, there's no comparison to the championship year. Blake and Dixon were often deadly and Baxter owned nearly every matchup. Bench was solid. In some ways the team that year reminded me of an NBA team. It often just didn't matter who was on the floor. It just worked. This year we HAVE to have Smith and Cowan on the floor for the majority of the game or else... That's quite a contrast to how the terps won it all. 

Looking at some of the teams out there I just don't see how the Terps can beat the likes of Duke and KU etc. Playing to perfection is the only recipe while teams like Duke and KU have much more leeway. I'm not expecting a championship honestly. It's possible but unlikely. A trip to the final 4 would be f'n amazing and even that will require taking down one or more better team(s) first. We'll see. 

I think most people see it this way...except for homer ass Scot Van Pelt lol

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

This is WxWatcher007 reporting live from Pulaski, NY :)  

We are under a Blizzard Warning for wind gusts up to 60mph and 18-24" of powder. The Tug is poised to get obliterated with 3-4' of snow. Hotel options are limited out here, so I'm almost certainly out of the max snow zone. One of these days I'll have the time to do a Redfield chase. Still expecting a great event here. Let's rip :weenie:

Special Weather Statement

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Buffalo NY
826 AM EST Thu Feb 27 2020

NYZ006>008-271530-
Oswego-Jefferson-Lewis-
Including the cities of Oswego, Watertown, and Lowville
826 AM EST Thu Feb 27 2020

...RAPID ONSET OF BLIZZARD CONDITIONS THIS MORNING...

Periods of heavy snow will continue this morning east of Lake
Ontario. Winds will rapidly increase and temperatures will drop
through mid to late morning, resulting in the development of
severe blowing and drifting snow and near zero visibility.

Travel conditions will continue to deteriorate across the eastern
Lake Ontario region. If you must travel, be prepared for severe
winter driving conditions with near zero visibility and deep snow
cover on roads.

Nice, the jackpot zones up there don't really have any hotels. But you can still do pretty good in like Brewerton or Pulaski.

Hey y'all. Just stopping in to say hey and how about them Terps?!!! 

Been a horrible winter back home, so I haven't had time to pop in too often, unfortunately. It's been nuts life wise out this way. Had a great Disney trip in January, long string of work, 8" of snow in early February, then the coup de grace was my wife having a serious fall at work 2 Saturdays ago requiring reconstructive surgery on her ankle. Right now, my house is a one man show and I'm hanging in there. She'll be recovering for multiple months, but surgery was a success. A full recovery will occur by mid-late May. 

Hoping to be back home for a time this summer, so perhaps a meet up is in order if I can square away a concrete date. Hope all is well back east. Go Terps, Go O's, Go Nat's, Go Caps (Sorry @yoda ;))

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Video from my Jackson Hole trip 

https://gopro.com/v/wEZbW9b3ENrOP

Great video captures the landscape well.  The scale of things in the west is hard to capture on video or in photos.  It has gotten pretty damn expensive here too but I have heard places like JH and the resort towns in CO are insanely expensive.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I was in Jackson Hole in the summer when I went to Yellowstone years ago. Loved it. Experiencing winter there would be awesome. I could defo live out there.

Many of the beautiful towns (Like Jackson)  in the rockies there just is not enough culture or economic diversity ( good paying jobs )

I've met three people over the years that lived in Jackson, they all said the town was too small.  One guy (actually a horse rancher here now)  told me he got tired of his guests / visitors spending much of their visit being altitude sick. LOL  

Gorgeous places to visit and see for sure. 

Just now, snownut said:

Many of the beautiful towns in the rockies there just is not enough culture or economic diversity ( good paying jobs )

I've met three people over the years that lived in Jackson, they all said the town was too small.  One guy (actually a horse rancher here now)  told me he got tired of his guest and visitors spending much of their visit being altitude sick. LOL  

Gorgeous places to visit and see for sure. 

Lol Jackson is only about 6000 feet. Good lord if someone gets elevation sickness from that I can’t imagine if they went to Breck or A Basin. Lol. 

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, snownut said:

Great video captures the landscape well.  The scale of things in the west is hard to capture on video or in photos.  It has gotten pretty damn expensive here too but I have heard places like JH and the resort towns in CO are insanely expensive.  

Everywhere is getting more expensive.  One issue is the shrinking disposable income of the working class in America. There just isn’t as much of a market for businesses to cater to that segment anymore. More and more resorts are focused on the wealthy.  It’s a shame. Colorado is the worst wrt that. JH was expensive but not out of control. I found some reasonable places to stay and eat. BC (other than Whistler) is still a better value.  Some of the powder highway resorts are great bargain deals with low key towns to stay in. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Lol Jackson is only about 6000 feet. Good lord if someone gets elevation sickness from that I can’t imagine if they went to Breck or A Basin. Lol. 

I can't count the # of people I saw faint shortly after arriving at the resort from DIA. Base elevation was 9600'.  Unfortunately a lot of people puked also. Nearly daily in the rental shop I managed when it was busy. We bought airplane puke bags and kept them at the door with a sign saying "feeling even just a little nauseous? Please take one. They're free and much better than the alternative". Women were really good about it but men nasomuch... They would fight it to the end and barf in a crowd. Lol

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

My class got me a 4 pack of DFH 120 min IPA. Way better than an apple. Bless them, even tho I am not at all religious.

Drinking one now. B)

I’m drinking scotch because I was out in the cold for a couple hours.

Are you a college professor?

2 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I was in Jackson Hole in the summer when I went to Yellowstone years ago. Loved it. Experiencing winter there would be awesome. I could defo live out there.

We did a three week car camp trip awhile back that included Jackson Hole, Yellowstone, and the Grand Tetons, and I 100% agree with you. It’s stunning. I think Glacier was my favorite though.

• Like 2

As much as I love snow, cold and the outdoors, I would like to get into skiing.  But there are several factors against me

1.  I hate looking like an idiot.

2. I hate getting in other people's way.  

3. I really hating looking like an idiot and getting in other people's way and paying a small fortune to do it.

4. My wife despises cold.

So I would need a to find a place with facilities dedicated to teaching adults who have absolutely no knowledge/experience.  I'm sure they exist but it is probably 10x more expensive than even the already expensive normal places.  And even if I could find an affordable one, I wouldn't be able to go because the boss would just laugh at my suggestion.:wacko:

13 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I’m drinking scotch because I was out in the cold for a couple hours.

Are you a college professor?

We did a three week car camp trip awhile back that included Jackson Hole, Yellowstone, and the Grand Tetons, and I 100% agree with you. It’s stunning. I think Glacier was my favorite though.

I teach merchant marines, US Navy/ MSC. Electronics/Instrumentation/Automation. Its a fun gig.

I need to get to Glacier. It's at the top of my bucket list.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I teach merchant marines, US Navy/ MSC. Electronics/Instrumentation/Automation. Its a fun gig.

I need to get to Glacier. It's at the top of my bucket list.

WxWatcher007 said it best. Super cool gig.

We need to get together for a drink. Maybe the oyster house in Easton or a good brewery. I’m having Dogfish withdrawal, so maybe there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

I can't count the # of people I saw faint shortly after arriving at the resort from DIA. Base elevation was 9600'.  Unfortunately a lot of people puked also. Nearly daily in the rental shop I managed when it was busy. We bought airplane puke bags and kept them at the door with a sign saying "feeling even just a little nauseous? Please take one. They're free and much better than the alternative". Women were really good about it but men nasomuch... They would fight it to the end and barf in a crowd. Lol

We took a trip to Beaver Creek a few years ago and I’ll admit that I didn’t feel great for the first 24 hours or so, even at the base of the lifts.  This was at about 8100 feet.  I was fine after a day or so.  I know Breck is even higher.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

Flat landers.. lol.. my brother struggled when he visited me here ( he is 62 )  hiking  7000 - 8000 feet.   I recall getting light headed at pikes peak when I was in my late teens.  Colorado has some seriously high ski locations, which hopefully will preserve the ski seasons as the planet shifts into “torch mode”  

4 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

This is one from Revelstoke a few years ago. My brother shot it so it’s usually me or my wife in the shots.  It’s a whole other world up there.  Amazing place.

Excellent video PSU.  Makes me want to get back out on the slopes.  The snow encrusted pine trees at the 2:00 mark remind me of Zao in Japan.  Zao is known for their "Snow Monsters" which are the top 10-20 feet of pines sticking out of the snow.  The area around Zao is one of the snowiest places on earth.  

Interesting thread about the altitude and folks getting sick.  How is the difficulty of the runs at JH?  I've heard JH vies with Whistler Blackcomb BC for having the most vertical in North America - around 4000' or so, yes?  The snow looks great.  The runs appear fairly flat cruiser type runs for a large part.  Like the part in the trees - a past favorite of mine.  

I'm a tele-mark skier myself.  Spent most of my younger days on 3 pin bindings throughout the Alps, in Japan with a stint on the South Island in New Zealand.  The Alps have the most vertical by far - with Zermatt and Chamonix offering around 8500' of vertical.  Japan has phenomenal snow depth and quality (skied down Mt Fuji on pins too - that was fun - it pretty steep at the top).  New Zealand is a must visit for the heli-ski expert. Their back country is pure unspoiled wilderness and the Kiwis really know how to have fun.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic