Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Banter 2020

George BM

On 2/15/2020 at 9:11 PM, nw baltimore wx said:
On 2/15/2020 at 8:44 PM, losetoa6 said:

Did u ever go to Midnight madness back in the day at Cole . I went from  92' - 95' . Lots of good memories. 

Never been. It probably didn’t help that I was an incoming freshman at 28 years old and had to retake 20 credits from the classes that I ditched back in ‘81.

Wait... you're all the way up there?! 

Also, happy 1,000th to me! :oldman:

Happy1000th.PNG.c77d5e0c52203adacec894bd5acfd0d3.PNG

3 hours ago, North Balti Zen said:

I’m not entirely certain some of the tougher weeds even left.

I had to mow last weekend. Other than that one low of 21 last week, I’ve never gone below the upper 20’s this winter. My Daffodils and Hyacinths are about to bloom and some of my shrubs near the house never even went fully dormant.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mappy said:

i dont think @George BM is going to win :lol: 

Well see how things look after our back to back HECSs on March 29th and April 1st. :D

Also on a slightly (emphasis on slightly) more serious note... I'm really looking forward to your map of the June 23rd Tornado Outbreak/Derecho Blowdown event in this region. You are very good at what you do. 

Many of us always thought that the 2012 derecho was as extreme as it gets severe-wise around here. Boy was that wrong in a big way...

In other words... yeah I'm not winning. :weep:

1 hour ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Kill it all, start from scratch. You can get it to grow.

Yeah, at this point we'd have to kill it all, fully amend the soil, then start all over. After we bought this house, we found out the builder basically rolled out sod over subsoil (to make it look nice for closing) without doing any prep work at all. My half-assed attempts at fixing the problem (spreading seed and layering topsoil in) have never worked long-term.

54 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Wow... mid February mowing.  That's pretty insane . You sure you didnt get a witch hex put on your yard or something.  How tall was it . I'm curious 

Not sure of exact height- tall enough to be mowed lol

I believe my first mow in 2017 was also February- I'd have to check my notes to be sure.

3 hours ago, George BM said:

Well see how things look after our back to back HECSs on March 29th and April 1st. :D

Also on a slightly (emphasis on slightly) more serious note... I'm really looking forward to your map of the June 23rd Tornado Outbreak/Derecho Blowdown event in this region. You are very good at what you do. 

Many of us always thought that the 2012 derecho was as extreme as it gets severe-wise around here. Boy was that wrong in a big way...

In other words... yeah I'm not winning. :weep:

We had a June 23rd tornado outbreak? where was I for that? 

and thanks! I'm guessing you've seen my work recently? 

1 hour ago, mappy said:

We had a June 23rd tornado outbreak? where was I for that? 

and thanks! I'm guessing you've seen my work recently? 

Yes. I’ve actually seen your work occasionally for the past few years now.

As for the June 23 tornado/derecho event I actually posted a radar image of it at the very beginning of this thread as the event was getting underway locally.

Finally, I should think that you were around for it. But I may be mistaken... it was a time of year where lots of people travel after all. 

• Like 1

I thought I'd send some snowy cheer to you guys. About a foot of snow on the ground up here in upstate NY, where I am practically living now. Big huge icy piles. Love it~

I couldn't go on staring at the bare snowless ground any longer. Come to an area that gets a real winter, it does wonders for your mental state.

IMG_4807.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RevWarReenactor said:

I thought I'd send some snowy cheer to you guys. About a foot of snow on the ground up here in upstate NY, where I am practically living now. Big huge icy piles. Love it~

I couldn't go on staring at the bare snowless ground any longer. Come to an area that gets a real winter, it does wonders for your mental state.

IMG_4807.jpg

What town are you near?

So sick of all this talk about this snowless February being some stunning occurrence and signs that things have changed. 

At BWI, they have recorded 33 February's with less than an inch of total snow since records have been kept. Spread out all over the years. Including the most depressing period from 1949-1953 with 4 consecutive February's with less than an inch. 

Yes, it sucks, but it's part of the game in this region. It's not strange or unusual. 

10 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

For those who were not aware, they certainly should be after this winter. A persistent +AO is death to snow chances in our region.

Only way to somewhat mitigate it is a persistent and strong EPO ridge.

Very true...also this level of +AO (record setting) is impossible to overcome on a larger seasonal scale (other than a fluke event) because to get this strong a AO it’s very unlikely we get the epo ridge needed. A strong east based epo ridge naturally reduces the AO value some because it enchroaches in that domain some. Plus this strong a PV will strengthen the zonal winds around it blunting attempts at any ridging either in the epo or NAO domain.  So while we can sometimes overcome a +AO in a year like 2015 with a monster epo it’s probably not possible to overcome this level of consistently 3+ stdv AO.  

• Like 1

Just now, psuhoffman said:

Very true...also this level of +AO (record setting) is impossible to overcome on a larger seasonal scale (other than a fluke event) because to get this strong a AO it’s very unlikely we get the epo ridge needed. A strong east based epo ridge naturally reduces the AO value some because it enchroaches in that domain some. Plus this strong a PV will strengthen the zonal winds around it blunting attempts at any ridging either in the epo or NAO domain.  So while we can sometimes overcome a +AO in a year like 2015 with a monster epo it’s probably not possible to overcome this level of consistently 3+ stdv AO.  

Yeah this winter the SPV has been a consolidated  monster, and it has coupled down to the troposphere. Not much is going to overcome that. Maybe perfect forcing in the Pac that produces a persistent PNA ridge. We would have a fighting chance if that were the case. Not so this winter. Not even close.

2 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

@psuhoffman

Outside of something transient/bootleg, are there any cases where there was a sustained -NAO while the AO was persistently positive? I would think not, or very rarely.

Not to this level. There are some examples of weakly +AO regimes with a -NAO but it’s nearly impossible to get a -NAO with this strong a PV/AO for the same reason you can’t get a favorable epo in this regime. The tightening strengthened flow around such a strong PV won’t allow ridging to survive long if at all in the NAO or epo domains. The strong flow around the PV will obliterate attempts to ridge there. But also the fact that strong ridging in the NAO domain would likely knock down the AO value some. 

10 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Yeah this winter the SPV has been a consolidated  monster, and it has coupled down to the troposphere. Not much is going to overcome that. Maybe perfect forcing in the Pac that produces a persistent PNA ridge. We would have a fighting chance if that were the case. Not so this winter. Not even close.

That would help but there is a strong correlation between the unfavorable RNA pac pattern and a +AO so I think there is some connection beteeen the 2. There are some examples of a -AO with this pac but it’s very rare and most of those examples were during the extreme blocking regime that dominated between 1956-1972.  Outside that period almost every example of this pac pattern featured a very +AO also. 

1 hour ago, Steve25 said:

So sick of all this talk about this snowless February being some stunning occurrence and signs that things have changed. 

At BWI, they have recorded 33 February's with less than an inch of total snow since records have been kept. Spread out all over the years. Including the most depressing period from 1949-1953 with 4 consecutive February's with less than an inch. 

Yes, it sucks, but it's part of the game in this region. It's not strange or unusual. 

Eh...in isolation that’s probably fair. But look at the frequency of sub 10” snowfall winters in Baltimore over the ~140 years of records. They were pretty rare up until the 80s with only a handful ever. WAY more common since. Of course we’ve also had lots of boom years in comparison. But things have certainly changed in the last 30-40 years.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic